Brake pad wear indicator - A5 Sportback?

metricspaces

Reaction score
Hi folks - I have an 2012 Audi A5 Sportback S-line (19inch factory wheels). Should I have brake pad wear indicators?

I assumed that my car would have indicators to tell me when brake pads were worn. But I was in with my mechanic at the weekend and he says there are none on this model?

Looking at Pagid brake pads for my model on http://www.eurocarparts.com/ I see there are pads with and without wear indicators. Hmmm...I'll be amazed if a 2012 Sline doesn't have wear indicators?

I guess my model could have come with wear indicators and previous owner replaced the pads with ones that had no wear indicators? But it's unlikely I think.

I got the car last year, when it was just 3 years old. The pads were quite worn when I got the car. So, chances of someone burning through the original pads, and most of a new set of pads in 3 years is quite slim.

For models with brake wear indicators, there must be some connector near the brake pad that sends the signal to ECU right?

It should have them. B8 models have the sensor on the nearside front brake pad.
I think the RS models come with the sensors on more than one wheel but I'm not totally sure about that.

My pad sensor wiring split within the car somewhere so I just got my local garage to connect the wiring together within the car to disable it and prevent any further warnings. I check my pads regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh right, so the sensor is only on one brake out of four? Strange - you'd have though at least one read and one front, considering front and rear will wear at different rates.

Yeah just one of the 4. This that's fairly normal these days except for serious performance models. I'm guessing the theory is that the mot will pick up most brake related wear or the owners responsibility to check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk