Brake Pad Choice

Paddyposh

Reaction score
Hey

had the warning light come up today for my brake pads, so thought I’d take advantage of the Black Friday deals.

euro car parts have some however when I select my reg it says there are different sorts and to check fitment.

Are there specific ones I need to be looking at? Need to check however not sure if it’s front or back, though could replace all at once.

any advice appreciated. My car is a an A3 Sportback 2007 2.0 TDI

It'll be the front ones. Rears don't have a sensor.

In your boot by the spare wheel should be a sticker with a load of 3 digit codes. Looking for a 3 digit code starting with a 1. Something like 1ZE. There'll be 2 of them, one for the front one for the rear. That'll let you work out which brakes your car has and what pads to get.

Most likely have 288mm or 312mm discs which both use the same pads.

Reactions: CWD and Paddyposh
FD144416 33CD 467B B24E 1361FA1B5150

thanks for the quick reply. Just had a look, there are a fair few!

Also; had a look at rear ones and there isn’t much on, a lot less than the front. Difficult to get a pic mind. Front photos attached below

1kz are 286mm rears
1lj are 312mm fronts

I've attached the pad selection on euros that you need for your car front and rear.
Don't go for the eicher or drivemaster options in my opinion. Any of the other brands are fine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191124_095004_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191124_095004_com.android.chrome.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 259
  • Screenshot_20191124_095015_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191124_095015_com.android.chrome.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: Paddyposh
Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

£45 total for both with the BF discount.

now to decide if I fit myself or pay someone to do it lol. Done a couple minor bits before and know people do their own, may watch a video and see if it’s an easy enough one lol

Brakes should only be done if you're confident you can do it. But really the most time consuming part would be jacking up and wheel removal followed by cleaning the carriers etc. (a small wire brush wheel and cordless drill perfect) But remember a piston wind back tool is a must have for the rears.Plenty on youtube to watch and could save you £100+

Fronts are easy . Can't really mess it up either tbh.
Rears as above need a wind back tool but that can be bought cheap.

45 is about the going rate. That's what gets me about all these euro sales, most of the time the code just brings the cost to what it should be anyway

Fronts are easy . Can't really mess it up either tbh.
Rears as above need a wind back tool but that can be bought cheap.

45 is about the going rate. That's what gets me about all these euro sales, most of the time the code just brings the cost to what it should be anyway

After checking againsted GSF and others I no longer opt to go to ECP, every single time I’ve been there I’ve wasted +30-45min in the stupid queue. When you’ve got a shop to run there is no need to waste time saving that additionally £2. I use GSF/Nayanza.

Yeah thatll work. You got a basic tool set?

Yours won't look exactly like this but what he does in these videos is pretty much what you'll be doing

If your going to do front and rear you'll definitely have to take out a little brake fluid from reservoir as you wind back all 4 pistons. Might be ok if your just doing front OR rear.

Most importantly once done, pump the brakes a few times to build pressure before tightening your brake fluid reservoir cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no One at my local ECP store this afternoon, just walked in and collected my brake pads, all done in 2mins.

I use ECP a fair bit, but nearly always order it online and get it delivered .
I’ve had atrocious service when visiting branches in person , though I’ve always felt sorry for the people working the counter there as in my experience there’s 1 person running around like a headless chicken and a room full of people in the office next door answering the phones and concentrating on the sales side.
If the management in the branches put as much effort into the retail shop side as other aspects of the ECP business then walk-in trade might increase.
As it is, I will do anything not to have to visit a ECP branch in person , LOL.

I would definitely avoid Pagid parts. In the past we have had trouble with discs warping when hot. On our TT we had a slight squeak nearly all the time when going straight. Just dab the brakes and it would stop. Changed the pads to Brembo from Pagid and no squeak ever since. Also use Brembo discs on all cars now.
Changing the discs is probably essential if the pads have gone that low and the rear calliper carrier bolts are very difficult to access and undo if the discs are being replaced.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I will probably just do the front ones first, and then do the rear ones after xmas I think.

Can I ask why eicher or drivemaster are not recommended? Will check out the Brembo ones as well.

Yes got a basic tool set, going to order myself a torque wrench though as I have wanted one for a while lol, and the old man has some Axle Stands (just in case)

They're just not 'good' brands. Eicher for one is a made up german sounding brand by eurocarparts, made in India. The price difference for something important like brake pads isn't big enough to warrant cheaping out.

Textar pagid and mintex are owned by tmd friction, massive brake company. Bosch, goes without saying. Ate probably made the calipers on your car. Jurid and brembo, massive names in this field.

Torque wrench really not necessary for this job but its a good tool to have. Think I've used mine a total of 3 times in the last year though

Reactions: Nessy and Paddyposh
They're just not 'good' brands. Eicher for one is a made up german sounding brand by eurocarparts, made in India. The price difference for something important like brake pads isn't big enough to warrant cheaping out.

Textar pagid and mintex are owned by tmd friction, massive brake company. Bosch, goes without saying. Ate probably made the calipers on your car. Jurid and brembo, massive names in this field.

Torque wrench really not necessary for this job but its a good tool to have. Think I've used mine a total of 3 times in the last year though

Totally agree with all of the above , in the last year I have renewed all my brakes , front and rear .
The fronts cost £85 all-in for ATE pads and discs, the rears I think was about £50 for ATE discs and Textar pads.
If you value your life and that of other road users then don’t skimp on brakes , simple.
My car has 1ZE front brakes and 1KD rears, and a set of Textar rear pads for my car (Textar were once, and may still be ? OEM for Mercedes) costs around £12.50 currently from Euro Car Parts .
Fitting really good quality brakes doesn’t always break the bank.

Totally agree with all of the above , in the last year I have renewed all my brakes , front and rear .
The fronts cost £85 all-in for ATE pads and discs, the rears I think was about £50 for ATE discs and Textar pads.
If you value your life and that of other road users then don’t skimp on brakes , simple.
My car has 1ZE front brakes and 1KD rears, and a set of Textar rear pads for my car (Textar were once, and may still be ? OEM for Mercedes) costs around £12.50 currently from Euro Car Parts .
Fitting really good quality brakes doesn’t always break the bank.
Based on Nessy’s recommendation I’ve gone and bought the Textar pads but are you sure they are the best these days. Made in Romania?

Attachments

• A9F33A9E-BB54-49E8-912E-F2F859C7457E.jpeg
    A9F33A9E-BB54-49E8-912E-F2F859C7457E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 291
Based on Nessy’s recommendation I’ve gone and bought the Textar pads but are you sure they are the best these days. Made in Romania?

not sure if serious, but romania is a big car parts exporting country.
https://www.ft.com/content/54fadfda-70cb-11e5-9b9e-690fdae72044

just in that article, it mentions dacia and ford plants, continental factories, johnson control factories (owner of the varta batteries brand) and the company that makes merc auto boxes.
i wouldnt fret about them being made in romania tbh

I wouldn’t get too het up about the country of origin , I’ve used the Romanian Textar pads and they’ve been flawless.
When my ATE front discs arrived I was a bit shocked to find that they were Made in China!
I’ve had Lemforder suspension components also made there but if they’re from an OEM maker then I trust their quality control, regardless of where made.

Whilst replacing my rear wheel bearings last week,i renewed both disc and pads. Brembo coated disc £18.69 each,Brembo pads £12.60 from Autodoc plus postage.

1kz are 286mm rears
1lj are 312mm fronts

I've attached the pad selection on euros that you need for your car front and rear.
Don't go for the eicher or drivemaster options in my opinion. Any of the other brands are fine
Hey

Due to unforeseen circumstances this work was delayed but I’ve just ordered some new textar pads today, and thinking I may as well do the discs too whilst the calliper is off

are these the right ones from what you said? Based on my reg number and 312mm like you said :

9BC57D34 0A62 47D6 BD3D 8F0BCC8C0ECC
F9769B22 B2D5 46E1 B361 A0A8CC5905D7

Also, the discs come coated don’t they and need to be cleaned before fitting? Or is that not the case?
I have some copper grease already

Ooo just realised they’re £78 per disc!! Thought it was for the pair

Key and spray the discs with Hammerite Smooth , then you'll never see rust on unswept parts .

Ah people put hammerite on them?

do you need to use brake cleaner on them before fitting also? Saw it on a video too so wanted to check here

Hey

Due to unforeseen circumstances this work was delayed but I’ve just ordered some new textar pads today, and thinking I may as well do the discs too whilst the calliper is off

are these the right ones from what you said? Based on my reg number and 312mm like you said :

View attachment 198490
View attachment 198491

Also, the discs come coated don’t they and need to be cleaned before fitting? Or is that not the case?
I have some copper grease already

Yeah those are the right ones, and with code Sale60 they're 79 quid for the pair.
Autodoc have the same discs for 37 each so ecp are a good price.

The brembos come prepainted, no need to hammerite them. Also shouldn't need to clean them before fitting as prepainted discs usually don't have an oil coating. Unpainted discs do though

I painted my prepainted Brembo because to bullet proof them from rust and there would always be narrow bands of rust of unswept areas .

I would always clean over the parts of the disc that the pads will come into contact with. I use the brake and clutch cleaner that ECP sell. Much cheaper than the Halfords equivalent and ideal for the job. Also when the discs are on but before installing the callipers, I rewipe both faces with a cloth and the cleaner to remove any grease etc I have added from my gloves. Very important they the hub faces are spotless too to make sure the disc sits totally flush so get rid of any rust etc.

I would always clean over the parts of the disc that the pads will come into contact with. I use the brake and clutch cleaner that ECP sell. Much cheaper than the Halfords equivalent and ideal for the job. Also when the discs are on but before installing the callipers, I rewipe both faces with a cloth and the cleaner to remove any grease etc I have added from my gloves. Very important they the hub faces are spotless too to make sure the disc sits totally flush so get rid of any rust etc.

Cheers for that. Yes I was planning to wire brush the hub before fitting, as well as applying a small amount of copper grease to the edge of it for when the wheel goes on.

My Brembo Discs and Textar pads have arrived now, going to be fitting Saturday all being well.

Assume you mean this brake and clutch cleaner? https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-brake-and-clutch-cleaner-500ml-542770020

Cheers for that. Yes I was planning to wire brush the hub before fitting, as well as applying a small amount of copper grease to the edge of it for when the wheel goes on.

My Brembo Discs and Textar pads have arrived now, going to be fitting Saturday all being well.

Assume you mean this brake and clutch cleaner? https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-qx-brake-and-clutch-cleaner-500ml-542770020

Yes, that’s the stuff, buy 2 so you don’t run out. Very useful as a degreaser with any job on the car!

1kz are 286mm rears
1lj are 312mm fronts

Hi

attempted this today and found An issue with the pad not going into the grooves. Pics of old ones going in, then new ones not. Any ideas? Pads were ones you said and also against the old ones look identical. Maybe a tiny bit taller like half a mil but may have been my eyes. They did look absolutely the same

006CA43C EA94 4FCD A636 C685F6CFBF57
5C20E73D 3F35 4BEF BF33 314C39EB6BAF

have put the old ones back on for now but need to get it sorted ASAP. Could they be wrong? Or am I missing something

tried for ages and just wouldn’t go in both bits