Brake lights stay on whilst driving..

a3_dan

Reaction score
As above, noticed today that my brake lights seem to be stayng on all the time, as if my foot is on the brake constantly.

Had a search on here and seems most probable suspect is the brake switch behind the foot pedal, has anyone else had this before? Will i need a new one or will it just need a clean up of connectors??:confused:

Cheers,
Dan

Cheers.

Anyone know the part number? Is this a easy replace job?

I think this is right...

1K2 945 511 RDW

Removing

– Remove driver's storage compartment
– Unplug electrical connector.
– Turn brake light switch anti-clockwise 45° to remove.

Installing

Installation is performed in reverse sequence; note the following:

– Pull out plunger of brake light switch as far as it will go.

Note: On some types of brake light switch it is not necessary to pull out the plunger.

– Insert retainer tabs of switch in recesses provided in mounting assembly and secure by turning clockwise 45°.
– Attach plug for brake light switch.

Note: When installing, brake pedal must not be pressed.

- The plunger adjusts itself automatically when the brake light switch is inserted.
– Check operation of brake lights both with brake pedal pressed and at rest.

I think this is right...

1K2 945 511 RDW

Removing

– Remove driver's storage compartment
– Unplug electrical connector.
– Turn brake light switch anti-clockwise 45° to remove.

Installing

Installation is performed in reverse sequence; note the following:

– Pull out plunger of brake light switch as far as it will go.

Note: On some types of brake light switch it is not necessary to pull out the plunger.

– Insert retainer tabs of switch in recesses provided in mounting assembly and secure by turning clockwise 45°.
– Attach plug for brake light switch.

Note: When installing, brake pedal must not be pressed.

- The plunger adjusts itself automatically when the brake light switch is inserted.
– Check operation of brake lights both with brake pedal pressed and at rest.

Thank for that Scott. Just got the ****** out (Cor the storage compartment takes some pulling around to release)

Im going to hopefully try and pick one up tomorrow, god knows if will have any joy. Otherwise might have to wait till after xmas! Hmph

It may or may not be called a storage compartment, but its certanly not much of a storage area.

Its the panel which houses your light controls.

This pic is from google..

2009-audi-s322.jpg

Well... there's a pic of a LHD car with it... but it's not there on mine! -And I've never seen it in ANY US-spec A3.

-I want... -I WANT!

Damn... now I have to trawl somewhere like eBay.de looking for that panel! :laugh:

Keith

Since we are on the subject...

E code tailights:

lights on then I brake and yellows also turn on. Normal or VCDS fix

lights on then I signal and outer tails activate and yellows activate. normal or VCDS fix

Just to let you guys know, and also if anyone was to ever have the same issue and search this thread back up. I just changed the brake light switch and now all ok.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Dan

I had a 2004 1.6 a3 brake lights on all the time with ignition on.with ignition off press the brake pedal lights operate on/off as they should.found a 5amp fuse under bonnet kept blowing f7 i believe.looked up the fuse is for brake pedal position and clutch pedal position/poteniometer.before buying anyparts need to diagnose why this fuse keeps blowing.fuse blowing must be a short somewhere first of all got a wiring diagram of the circut.there is a link wire from fuse too brake switch to clutch switch.so what i did was connect a headlight bulb too the fuse holder which kept blowing(f7)this will simulate a fuse but not blow the headlamp bulb as it can take the load.now simply with ignition on the bulb will be lit dissconnect parts of the circut i started at brake switch dissconnect bulb still lit no problem here.move to the next part of circut clutch switch dissconnected that bulb went out so we can say this is 100%were our fault is.left it dissconnected brake lights opereated correctly.fit new clutch switch and fuse all okay now.