Brake Light Switch

Plunky

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been getting an intermittent ABS warning light appear on the dash, didnt seem to alter the performance at all so ignored it for the time being, i then got the glow plug warning light flash at me yesterday, and i also noticed that the brake lights would occasionally stick on.
After doing a bit of research it looked likely the brake light switch was faulty so I bought a new switch. The actual switch looked slightly different compared to the original one, but I put this down to Audi revising the part.
There are tones of guides on the internet, but most say that the newer switch is a simple plug and play e.g there is no specific procedure to follow.
So I have fitted the new switch, all seems fine with the engine off, however, when the car is running, the brake light switch is incredibly sensitive and sometimes the lights will stay on, when driving, because of this it keeps cutting the throttle intermittently.
Am i missing something? as for something which should be very simple it is confusing the hell out of me!

Thanks in advance,

Liam

This is a fit once part, if you don't fit it correctly it won't work properly.
You shouldn't depress the pedal while fitting, & the switch must make a loud click when turning it clockwise to engage it in the mounting.
N.B. I fit doesn't click it won't work.

Last edited:
thanks, that's what I did when fitting, and I am sure it made a loud click when rotating it into place.

That could be the problem.
A genuine switch is only about £10 from TPS or main dealer.
Golden rule with most VAG switches & sensors is buy genuine or buy twice.

Maybe worth checking around the drivers footwell for damp carpets too as it's possible you could have water ingress from blocked Plenum chamber drain plugs, which can cause all sorts of electrical issues.