Brake light switch

macpdm

Reaction score
Afternoon all

Just bought the new green BLS from Audi and have been checking out how to remove the trim to install it. There just seems to be a flimsy bit of plastic in the way and you can actually touch the switch. Do you really have to take apart half the lower dash to get at it as there is just this bit of plastic trim in the way which just needs moving to get at it properly.

I found this image on the VW vortex site which is the guide VW give out to install the new switch and it shows the bit of trim im talking about.

BrakeLightSwitch.jpg

Dont think you have to remove the trim under the steering wheel to change the BLS but i found it much easier to do once it was removed.

Thanks guys
westy I can only see 1 torx bolt on the far right I think it was.

Brilliant document westy thanks but unless i am being stoopid I cant see anything in it that actually shows the removal procedure for that piece of trim ?

Brilliant document westy thanks but unless i am being stoopid I cant see anything in it that actually shows the removal procedure for that piece of trim ?

From memory (as I had the entire dash out 2 weeks ago!) you need to remove the side plate that covers the fuse box, then there are 3 torx screws in there. Then the is one in the bottom left of the trim where it meets the centre console and one around the cubby hole under the headlight switch.

Get your head right down in the foot well and have a good look about and you'll see them.

From memory (as I had the entire dash out 2 weeks ago!) you need to remove the side plate that covers the fuse box, then there are 3 torx screws in there. Then the is one in the bottom left of the trim where it meets the centre console and one around the cubby hole under the headlight switch.

Get your head right down in the foot well and have a good look about and you'll see them.

Thanks for all your help buddy I will have a good old root about tonight and then go and look how to remove the trim :sm4:

Dude. 68.7 in the doc shows you.

The 2 bits marked A are spring clips so once all the screws are out you can just pull it off!

Spot on buddy missed that and it really helped to. Well the jobs done it was easy to get the trim off and fit the switch but it could be me because it was a right ******* to get the trim back on.

Yeah the hard bit is getting those two clips back in. I find punching it helps :)

Yes exactly I had to use some persuasion :) but getting the bottom lug on the right hand side below the fuse box was also a git especially when I got it all in situ then realised the trim was not sitting between the two white guides underneath and had to joyfully pull it apart again. never mind I know what im doing now thanks again buddy for the help.

Well I have been driving around for a week and no esp light until today it popped up out of nowhere like the little **** it is and saying "so you think you found me did you well guess again". Well mr esp light no im not chasing you any longer you can foxtrot oscar I mean you dont apear to cause any problems you just pop up and **** me off. Thats it, end of im not spending anymore except for petrol not a penny more oh and road tax and thats it oh and insurance and that really is it oh and an MOT and servicing then that really will be it. Not a penny more :wacko:

Well I have been driving around for a week and no esp light until today it popped up out of nowhere like the little **** it is and saying "so you think you found me did you well guess again". Well mr esp light no im not chasing you any longer you can foxtrot oscar I mean you dont apear to cause any problems you just pop up and **** me off. Thats it, end of im not spending anymore except for petrol not a penny more oh and road tax and thats it oh and insurance and that really is it oh and an MOT and servicing then that really will be it. Not a penny more :wacko:

Little ******!

Get it scanned though mate just in case it's something else causing the issue now. These problems alway crop up around xmas time when you dont want to spend any money on the car :(

Little ******!

Get it scanned though mate just in case it's something else causing the issue now. These problems alway crop up around xmas time when you dont want to spend any money on the car :(

Cheers westy I will pop round and see the man who can but im in no hurry as the car drives lovely its just ****** irritating and so intermittant.

Cheers westy I will pop round and see the man who can but im in no hurry as the car drives lovely its just ****** irritating and so intermittant.

I know the feeling, I spent a good 6 months chasing wheel speed sensor faults when I first got the car! Turned out to be a bad sensor from Euro Car Parts. Went genuine VAG and never had a problem since.

Really sorry to bring such an old thread back up, however I have just fitted a new BLS in my A3 TDI sport, and the brake lights still wont come on. I changed the bulbs last night too thinking it was them so I can rule the bulbs out.

Would I have to clear the fault codes before the new switch will work as the dash lights are still on?

On another note I took the new switch out and reset it then put it back in and the brake lights came on and stayed on so did the same again and now no lights again.

Ignore that last post, just disconnected the battery for 10 mins and its cleared the faults and the lights work again.