brake light issues

Tripp

Reaction score
Hi all, simple problem, both brake lights are not working (except for the eye level brake light) I changed the bulbs in the clusters to no avail. Could it be the brake light switch if the eye level brake light is still working?

It wont be the brake light switch, if the switch was gone you wouldn't have any brake lights at all. Are you getting voltage at the lights?

Brake light switch. The switch has seperate outputs for the clusters and the eye level light so its quite possible the clusters dont work and the eye level one does, had this just a few months back. Get the latest revision (green bodied) switch from GSF but make sure you know how to fit it or you can break it upon installation !

Reactions: Tripp
@LemonS3 - HA yeah I checked the fuse. all seemed in order. guess I will be ordering a new brake switch. thanks all

ok slight dilemma on this - ive replaced the brake light switch, switched out the bulbs and checked the fuse (fuse 13 correct?) and still only the top brake light works....whats going on cos I don't know what it could be.

the brake light switch is working,the high level brake light and the lower cluster lights work together,the brake light switch has two functions,one for lights one for ecu.

Have you any tow bars fitted? check your wiring to the lights,make sure the bulbs are correct two filament bulbs,its the same bulb the side lights are on.

Reactions: Tripp
no tow bar and yeah the two filament bulbs are fitted. I suppose I will have to check the wires at this point. the bulbs work (one of the filaments anyway) so power is getting to the cluster and to the bulb, just seems to be no signal to turn on the braking light...odd

yes it has esp and no warning lights on the dash either for bulbs (or anything for that matter)

the brake switch is an two way as i said for esp cars,you should have had a warning on the dis display with no brake lights which suggests wiring issue to me.

The red and black wire is the feed wire for high level,and both brake lights,have you checked if these have feeds when brake lights are applied?

do all the othe cluster light work? even with the foot brake applied do they all work together?

on,y thing i can think of is a bad or no earth to the rear light clusters..?

yes, I had both clusters out when changing the bulbs, everything on the clusters work except the brake brake lights. I will check the black and red wires when my OH gets back with the car. I cant imagine tho that its a wire fault at the clusters, seems odd to have a fault on both of them, should I be checking the wiring from the brake switch?

RightLeft

one more possibility.... are the high level brakes lights led? as they dont need allot of current to work,have you had a multimeter on the brake light wires,can you check amps with it ?

Reactions: Wussell
I assume the high level brake light has standard bulbs as ive not fitted any LEDs. when I check the wiring later I will get a multimeter to them to see if there is something amiss. thanks for the diagrams - much appreciated

I know I've asked this already, but what's your voltage at the lights?
I don't know. I will have to wait and get my hands on a multimeter over the next few days. will likely update then

I don't know. I will have to wait and get my hands on a multimeter over the next few days. will likely update then
Did you find out what voltage was at the high level brake light mate