Brake fluid requirement for the b9 A4

WesT-gefül

Reaction score
Just a quick question. Does the A4 require low viscosity (LV) Dot 4 or standard Dot 4. My Audi dealer isn’t close so I’m going for Brembo fluid. Any help is much appreciated. If anyone also knew the the required amount needed as I’m getting new disks and pads so I just want to refill.

Not sure if it helps answer your question but my invoice from Audi for a brake fluid change shows a product code of VB 000 750 M3 and a quantity of 1.

Since the advent of lots of smart use of the braking hydraulics, all cars with these functions should be using low viscosity brake fluid, I've never ever used anything else over the past 20 years of owning VW Group products, and tended to just buy all my brake fluid from VW Group dealerships, the only time you need to watch out is if buying brake fluid elsewhere as last time I checked, quite a few first offer the cheaper previous spec DOT4 probably to grab your business.

Since the advent of lots of smart use of the braking hydraulics, all cars with these functions should be using low viscosity brake fluid, I've never ever used anything else over the past 20 years of owning VW Group products, and tended to just buy all my brake fluid from VW Group dealerships, the only time you need to watch out is if buying brake fluid elsewhere as last time I checked, quite a few first offer the cheaper previous spec DOT4 probably to grab your business.

That’s what I though too. I called Audi today and asked them in the parts department which fluid I need and they said their computer said DOT 4. I hope he was right. He couldn’t tell me the quantity. I got Castrol react dot 4 performance brake fluid which was £13+. I prefer bringing my own oil when getting work done at my very good Indy.

Not sure if it helps answer your question but my invoice from Audi for a brake fluid change shows a product code of VB 000 750 M3 and a quantity of 1.

Got some info from that code. I take it you have a B9? - ATE SL6 Dot 4 - seems to be a good option as it has the approval of the VW spec. It’s Dot 4 class 6. Going to have to return the Castrol react performance brake fluid as it’s Dot 4 class 4.

3f9ebdbc08b7f08d9ee81eff0425d579.jpg

Yes that is one of the brands (ATE) that some sellers still initially offer the early version of DOT4 but when you dig deeper and use certain VW Group specs, you find the "DOT4 ESP" - same for others as well, like TRW DOT4 ESP, Pagid4 PRO, Febi DOT4 PLUS and Comma BF4ESPIL.

Someone on a VW motoring forum that in London at least, a couple of VW dealers told him that VW Group no longer sell branded brake fluid over the parts counter, that has been discontinued - end of! So, to put that to the test up here in Edinburgh, I went into my Audi dealership and bought a litre bottle of VW Group latest spec brake fluid - so that was duff information as far as I know. Up to now I have always bought VW Group brake fluid for my VW Group cars, but with that "misinformation" from that VW motoring forum member, I seized the chance to buy 3 litres of TRW DOT 4 ESP when it was on offer via ECP - for this year's fluid changes. Remember, TRW do provide a lot of braking systems for VW Group - as well as other systems like steering.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Because it's not in the car's manual it is on the cap. I think with all VAG vehicles it's the same :)

Is Audi known for not having the quantity and specs for all fluids. On my Kia Sportage everything was listed even the “lifetime” gear oil which I replaced at 40k. It would help people out if these things were listed in the manual. Audi only seem to have the engine oil listed.

I think that with VW Group, for all cars, they quote 1.0litre for brakes and 1.15litres for brakes and clutch, well that is what is quoted in my Erwin 2011 Audi B8 S4 workshop manual and for my 2015 VW Polo workshop manual, typical lazy/sloppy tech authors - "one size fits all".

I would tend to have 2 litres at my disposal as there are no prizes for accidentally under flushing and/or spilling some fluid - maybe I'm lucky as I do 2 cars at the same time, so if I use too much on the first car I can always buy in another litre and delay doing that job on the second one.

"is it not written on the reservoir?" - yes but just a bland non committal DOT4 - which is sort of correct - but VW Group always expect that you only ever use their workshops so why would they try to be more helpful?

Probably the same for engine coolant, my daughter's 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra has "G13" printed on to its header tank but also "MIT SILIKAT" which probably means "only use G12 evo" as that is what the online owner manual states for that age of Cupra - and the dealers just top up using neat G13 - all very helpful and very VW Group.

For those that do not know, G13 came after G12++, and G12 evo came after G13 - a bit confusing.

@rum4mo, that’s where I got the 1 litre info from Erwin but as it’s US based they only quote for petrol Engines so I could at least count on the the capacity for the reservoir. I got 2 tins of ATE SL6. I know the brake fluid change is done under pressure but worth having extra for what it costs. They definitely don’t want to make it easier to get all this info.