Brake discs and pads.

Radford212

Reaction score
Hi all,

Picked the car up from Bristol Audi yesterday after having the emissions update done and during the health check they did on the car they put an amber advisory on my front discs and pads saying I will need new ones soon. According to the sheet I have it will cost £450+ for 2 new discs and pads.

I was wondering if it would be worth ordering some better discs and pads myself and getting an independent to fit them or just let Audi do it?

If I were to order them myself, does anyone have any suggestions on what would be good ones to buy.

Radford212

They're probably not even due replacement. Did you look at the condition of the discs and life left on the pads?

Reactions: feva
To be honest, I'm actually useless when it comes to this sort of thing. I wouldn't know what too look for etc plus the callipers are also pretty corroded and nasty looking it's hard to see what's what.

If you're worried then take it to another garage and ask them to check your brakes, never trust what you see on one of those "health check" reports by dealers.

I'll take it to one I trust later in the week then and see what they say. If I do need them, got any recommendations?

I always use OE supplied parts so can't recommend anything else bar those.

I use Pagid discs and pads on all my cars never had a problem with them. I done my 2010 A4 2.0tdi a couple months back. It cost me £300 for discs and pads all round from euros they had a 30% sale on at the time. That was parts only. I fitted them myself.

To be honest, I'm actually useless when it comes to this sort of thing. I wouldn't know what too look for etc plus the callipers are also pretty corroded and nasty looking it's hard to see what's what.
f358d42a165898e104c96c37c7865014.jpg

84fb31db0c422bdeda07a0189bede0f8.jpg

@Radford212 this is the difference a clean and a coat of paint makes.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Go to an indy if you have one you use you'll get the same job half the price, if there even needing to be changed

just as an example of the nonsense that goes on at these dealer garages my mum took her brand new audi TT in for its 1st ! service last month and was told the brakes were getting rusty and would prob need changed next service !!! 1st FFing service, needless to say i will be taking it in for the next one for her see what gets said then

Reactions: RS5 JON and spartacus68
watching this thread with interest.

My S4 was in for it's service a few weeks back and I was advised that my front brakes were 70% worn. Checked the pads and there seems to be a reasonable amount left on them, but the disks are getting a bit past it. The audicam vid shows the tech saying "brakes are worn and need replacing 'soon'" but no details on how soon 'soon' is. I do about 5k miles a year and the service adviser said all would be fine until it's next service (next year), so another 5k miles or so. Given it's at 41k miles at the moment and they are original pads, at 70% worn I should get another 5k out of them.......so lets hope.

......especially as they were quoting around £670 for new disks and pads at the front! Don't think I'll be paying that :wtf:

Go to an indy if you have one you use you'll get the same job half the price, if there even needing to be changed

just as an example of the nonsense that goes on at these dealer garages my mum took her brand new audi TT in for its 1st ! service last month and was told the brakes were getting rusty and would prob need changed next service !!! 1st FFing service, needless to say i will be taking it in for the next one for her see what gets said then

It seems ridiculous, I guess they hope that the naivety of some people (can't think of another way to put that) will be enough to make them think 'oh well if the garage says it needs doing, I best get it done then' and the pay some extortionate rate for something that like you said would probably be half the price at an independent garage and sometimes could even do a better job.

Just because they've got the brand name above to door they seem to think they can charge what they want.

watching this thread with interest.

My S4 was in for it's service a few weeks back and I was advised that my front brakes were 70% worn. Checked the pads and there seems to be a reasonable amount left on them, but the disks are getting a bit past it. The audicam vid shows the tech saying "brakes are worn and need replacing 'soon'" but no details on how soon 'soon' is. I do about 5k miles a year and the service adviser said all would be fine until it's next service (next year), so another 5k miles or so. Given it's at 41k miles at the moment and they are original pads, at 70% worn I should get another 5k out of them.......so lets hope.

......especially as they were quoting around £670 for new disks and pads at the front! Don't think I'll be paying that :wtf:

Like you, I only do between 6-8k a year in mileage terms and my last MOT & service which I may add was at another main dealer about 1k miles ago mentioned nothing about my brakes what so ever. So I don't know if it's Bristol just trying to pull a fast one?

Reactions: Chop.
Yeah its a shame its like that and i think some people forget garages are not there to do us a favour there in it to make money like every other busness and they are very good at it

My dealer is at the other end of the country so it's not just that 1 dealer. In all fairness, they do a healthcheck and have a responsibility to highlight issues they find. 70% worn pads need to be reported to the customer because they could quite easily need replacing before the next service interval. The tech wasn't to know my annual mileage or whether they'd get me through to my next service so has to advise them just in case.

Interestingly it was an advisory (yellow) on my healthcheck at the service rather than an advisory on my MOT; in fact my MOT which was done at the same time only had 1 advisory which was for the read seatbelts (got child seats in the back so they can't check the belts). Nothing about brakes.

Either way I wont be paying their price. It'll go to the SEAT dealer round the corner which is part of the same franchise, OEM parts fitted by the same group at the same franchise for about £200 less ;-) ......unless Audi price match if of course, which I know they will.

I've just put the redstuff pads on the front from carparts4less with pagid discs, £155 all in, I fitted them and the pads are much better than oem when you start working them

Cant fault pagid stuff from Euro's.

Ginge.....shame redstuff is rubbish for anything 'performance' related. They that bad I wouldnt have a set given.

Cant fault pagid stuff from Euro's.

Ginge.....shame redstuff is rubbish for anything 'performance' related. They that bad I wouldnt have a set given.
You must be the only person to say this, I would agree that if the car does a lot of track days then they won't take that, but as an upgrade to oem I can't fault them

They're oe normally with minimal dust , with enthusiasm they get magnetic...

Not track pads , street / fast road .

Reactions: Ginge247
So today my car went to my local garage that I trust and I was told that the discs and pads needed doing. They were done for less than half of what Audi would charge so that's a win in my book.

On a side note, another thing Audi found to be 'wrong' on the health check was a nail in my back right tire. They offered my 3 price options for a new tire ranging from £140 to £225. So instead I took it to my local tire place too see if it could be repaired. They took the wheel off and pulled the nail out. They showed me the culprit and told me that it hadn't actually pierced the tire but was wedged in sideways in the tread. The tire was perfectly fine!! Might as well be con artists at main dealers..