Facelift Brake discs and pads replacements ?

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Evening folks . Looking to replace the brakes on my 2013 PFL A3 8V 2.0 TDI S-line. Genuine Audi are expensive as heck so have been looking at EBC . Anyone got recommendations please ?

Evening folks . Looking to replace the brakes on my 2013 PFL A3 8V 2.0 TDI S-line. Genuine Audi are expensive as heck so have been looking at EBC . Anyone got recommendations please ?

Trw gets my vote for oe spec. Get their cotec range and there’s less black brake dust as well.
Normally comes with all the sensors and shims and fittings as well.

Reactions: Scotty75
Brembo.

I'm sure I'm teaching my gran to suck eggs, and if I am, I apologise - check on the Brembo website for your car's PR fitting and Robert's your mother's brother.

And don't forget to look on Amazon; by not being in any particular hurry I managed to pick up a full set of Brembo discs and pads - front and rear - for our lass's 8P for about eighty-five quid.

Knocked ECP and GSF and their twice a day and five times on a weekend 59% bargains into a cocked hat good and proper.

Reactions: Damo S, Matt Titanium and Scotty75
change your heading as it says facelift instead of pfl

Less brake dust does sound appealing , ceramic coated the wheels which helps but still get a lot of dust . Not heard of TRW though . We'll have a look

Less brake dust does sound appealing...
How about a sponge and a bucket of water?

racer.gif

Less brake dust does sound appealing , ceramic coated the wheels which helps but still get a lot of dust . Not heard of TRW though . We'll have a look
Trw makes a lot of factory oe parts and one of the biggest manufacturer of brake parts.
If you check your Pr codes you will find out who makes the factory ones. Normally trw, brembo, bosch etc.
Look on AUTODOC.com and get the app for bigger discounts. Takes about a week for delivery though

Trw makes a lot of factory oe parts and one of the biggest manufacturer of brake parts.
If you check your Pr codes you will find out who makes the factory ones. Normally trw, brembo, bosch etc.
Look on AUTODOC.com and get the app for bigger discounts. Takes about a week for delivery though
What do you mean when you say PR codes sorry? (Sorry to hijack the thread Scotty!)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What do you mean when you say PR codes sorry? (Sorry to hijack the thread Scotty!)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

There should be a sticker in your boot, manual or service book. The will be code in there like 1LK or 2AB. All these codes correspond to something on your car whether it’s brakes or suspension or anything else on your car. Once you find it there’s plenty of Pr code translators online.

Reactions: Adam14
There should be a sticker in your boot, manual or service book. The will be code in there like 1LK or 2AB. All these codes correspond to something on your car whether it’s brakes or suspension or anything else on your car. Once you find it there’s plenty of Pr code translators online.
Funny enough I went into erWIN say the weekend and for the part numbers . £7 for an hour though .

Funny enough I went into erWIN say the weekend and for the part numbers . £7 for an hour though .

Part numbers still help with finding the right parts but most have the PR numbers in the description.

Thanks for the tip mate , nice little app that autodoc Loads of choice on there and the pricing is really good .

Any experience of ATE Ceramic ?

Reactions: AlS3BE
Thanks for the tip mate , nice little app that autodoc Loads of choice on there and the pricing is really good .

Yep, i'm using ATE ceramic on the front of my S3. Braking performance is the same as OEM spec pads (they're ECE R90 spec), but barely any dust. I've read that ceramic pads can be harsher on the discs but the disks seem to be wearing fine on mine.

Not used ate before. Always used trw for oe spec on all my cars for at least last 10 years. Quality and value for money has always been great. Would say they exceed oe spec by a mile at less than half the cost. Main thing I like about trw is they come with all the fittings, sensors, shims etc basically everything you need to do the job.

Reactions: Adam14 and Scotty75
I used Pagid disks and pads all round on the Skoda VRS. They have been really good.

Yep, i'm using ATE ceramic on the front of my S3. Braking performance is the same as OEM spec pads (they're ECE R90 spec), but barely any dust. I've read that ceramic pads can be harsher on the discs but the disks seem to be wearing fine on mine.
Any problems with wet weather performance ? Read a few negative posts on Piston Heads .

Not used ate before. Always used trw for oe spec on all my cars for at least last 10 years. Quality and value for money has always been great. Would say they exceed oe spec by a mile at less than half the cost. Main thing I like about trw is they come with all the fittings, sensors, shims etc basically everything you need to do the job.
Well TRW must be popular as out of stock at the moment .

Well TRW must be popular as out of stock at the moment .
Not surprised. Probably popular fitment as well cause all the vag group golf size cars uses the same/similar components.

Going to think this over a bit . I like the sound of TRW because of the reasons you've mentioned but an tempted by the low brake dust off ceramic ATE pads . The whole kit is less than £200. Way cheaper than the £345 I've been quoted for parts by Audi.

Just debating wet weather performance . No immediate rush for the parts so as I say , need to think it over .

Going to think this over a bit . I like the sound of TRW because of the reasons you've mentioned but an tempted by the low brake dust off ceramic ATE pads . The whole kit is less than £200. Way cheaper than the £345 I've been quoted for parts by Audi.

Just debating wet weather performance . No immediate rush for the parts so as I say , need to think it over .

Trw cotec range is low dust. Not sure how they compare with the ate ceramic.
In my last a6 the brake dust was almost non existent or at the point I could just blast it with a pressure washer and they were clean.

Do consider these:

See Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads: https://www.ferodo.co.uk/products/light-vehicles/eco-friction-brake-pads.html

"Already fitted as Original Equipment on Mercedes-Benz C-Class since March 2014 and Audi A4 since September 2015"

So impressed I'm now running these Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads on our 8P RS3, 8J TT, and 8R SQ5

And the price: front and rear for the RS3 @£75, the TT @ £51 and the SQ5 @ £135 - crazy, I know - and delivered £s prices from buyanycarpart (eBay)

Way cheaper than the £345 I've been quoted for parts by Audi.
Don't want to go on about it or anything, but £345 would likely get you a Brembo set, a spare Brembo set for next time and still have enough left over for a carbon fibre bucket with an aircraft-grade aerodynamic aluminium handle, not to mention a microfibre mitt woven from the finest fairy pubes.

:friends:

Reactions: Fatbloke, AlS3BE and Scotty75
Thanks mate I'll have a look .

Fitted a set to a second RS3 reecently (ASN member) - changing from worn EBC Redstuff - and again with excellent feedback: maybe a little more dust than Redstuff but with improved low speed bite.

Don't want to go on about it or anything, but £345 would likely get you a Brembo set, a spare Brembo set for next time and still have enough left over for a carbon fibre bucket with an aircraft-grade aerodynamic aluminium handle, not to mention a microfibre mitt woven from the finest fairy pubes.

:friends:
Exactly the point mate . So overpriced it's insane

Trw cotec range is low dust
According to the TRW website, COTEC refers to an additional coating on the pads which avoids reduced performance while the pads bed in. It is a surface coating which quickly wears off, it does not reduce dust. The TRW low dust pad technology is apparently called DTEC.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Scotty75
According to the TRW website, COTEC refers to an additional coating on the pads which avoids reduced performance while the pads bed in. It is a surface coating which quickly wears off, it does not reduce dust. The TRW low dust pad technology is apparently called DTEC.

Stand to be corrected. :icon thumright:
Too many acronyms all these manufacturers use to remember.
Another thing to remember is the discs from trw are painted/coated around the hub part of the disc. These seem to be more hard wearing than the Audi discs. My hubs started looking rusty in my s3 after about 1000 miles and look awful now after 10k. Something to check when getting new discs as not all of them are painted/coated. They will get rusty after a few miles.

Worth considering Mintex as well, a trusted brand that's been around for years. I've used these plenty of times in the past on various vehicles with no issues at all. Once you have found the part number you can usually find some cracking deals online. They have an online e-catalog http://www.mintex.brakebook.com/bb/mintex/en/ and once you have drilled down they list the PR code so it's easy to double check they are the correct fitment. If you need a PR decoder this one is rather good click me.

Well, after another look on Autodoc and quite a bit of deliberation. I went with TRW. Full set of discs , pads and accessories for £172 . Literally had the price quoted from Audi. Discs are painted too so saves me having to hammerite the hubs .

Thanks to you all for the input. Was quite tempted by a number of options but in the end the TRW option was too frugal to ignore .

Reactions: Adam14 and AlS3BE
Not surprised. Probably popular fitment as well cause all the vag group golf size cars uses the same/similar components.
Quick question mate . Just wondering how long Autodoc take delivery wise in your experience ? Placed my order Wednesday , standard delivery. Apart from an email confirming my order I've not heard anything since . I expect delivery takes a little longer coming from Germany .

Quick question mate . Just wondering how long Autodoc take delivery wise in your experience ? Placed my order Wednesday , standard delivery. Apart from an email confirming my order I've not heard anything since . I expect delivery takes a little longer coming from Germany .
A week to 10 days. They aren’t the quickest.
Ordered quite a few times with them and best I’ve had was ordered Monday morning and delivered Thursday evening. Parcel comes from Germany if I remember right.

A week to 10 days. They aren’t the quickest.
Ordered quite a few times with them and best I’ve had was ordered Monday morning and delivered Thursday evening. Parcel comes from Germany if I remember right.
Just a quick one to say thanks fur the heads up regarding Autodoc mate Much appreciated. Ordered a week ago today and discs and pads arrived from Germany today . Can't complain really , especially considering the price paid £172 including postage.

Quite happy to see "OE" on the side of the TRW boxes too . Thanks again mate , got to love ASN and it's members

Reactions: AlS3BE