Brake discs and pads advice

iLikefishing

Reaction score
My S1 will be needing new discs and pads all round next service, anybody used none Audi parts, maybe upgraded stuff ? Been told ATE are good, up to now I have only used genuine parts but am wandering if their are better alternatives.

ATE are a top premium brand and will be as good, if not better, that the Audi OE ones.

My S1 will be needing new discs and pads all round next service, anybody used none Audi parts, maybe upgraded stuff ? Been told ATE are good, up to now I have only used genuine parts but am wandering if their are better alternatives.

See: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ferodo-eco-friction-green-brake-pads-for-the-8p-rs3.397139/

"I reviewed available reports and having been convinced put a set of these Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads on our recently purchased SQ5 (@ 2500kg) and was immediately impressed with their performance; great low speed 'bite' with low noise and very low dust - as good if not lower than EBC Redstuff that I have used and recommended for some time for the 8P RS3, however...

See Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads: https://www.ferodo.co.uk/products/light-vehicles/eco-friction-brake-pads.html

"Already fitted as Original Equipment on Mercedes-Benz C-Class since March 2014 and Audi A4 since September 2015"

So impressed I'm now running these Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads on our 8P RS3, and 8J TT, too."

15-months on from wiriting the above report I am still mega happy with the brakes and braking of ALL three cars - and I've since fitted Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads to a few other cars too including my old 185bhp A1

100% recommended

Cheers 45bvtc :thumbs up:

With the RS3 the OEM pads worked fine but with excessive brake dust. I was a great advocate of EBC Redstuff but found they lost their bite at around 50% worn, very low on the brake dust mind. The Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads do have more brake dust than EBC but way less than OEM but the bite in both low speed and high speed - for me - is superb.

For the TT the OEM pads were fine but dusty. The TT did NOT like the EBC pads, period. Again the Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads are superb.

And with our SQ5 while we had short experience with the OEM pads they were for sure dusty but the Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads are ace!

Our RS3 after a quick run earlier today with almost zero brake dust:

RS3 UTTOXETER 2

I believe pads choice should depend on your car use, e.g. I'm using EBC GD disks with EBC YellowStuff pads for daily driving and regular track days. With proper brake fluid and braided brake lines it gives great braking control and no overheating.
But if you don't do track days it makes sense to use less expensive OE-style pads

I've just ordered Tarox Discs (F2000) and pads all round, I've used Tarox in the past and I have been impressed.