Brake disc retaining screw

SemedoB6

Black and white a4
Reaction score
Hey there fellas..
I'm finally upgrading my brakes to s4 brakes and I would like to have the retaining screw holding the rotors in place..
O know it isn't necessary because after all been put together the carrier and pads and ultimately the wheel bolts will maintain everything in place but being somewhat ocd I'd like to have the retaining screen like oem s4 does.
The thing is, my hub does not have the hole to screw the bolt to hold the rotors and I'd like to know if it's safe or there's a way to drill the hole to secure the rotors with the screw..
I even have 2 sets of screw that was sent by mistake but my hub does have the hole for it..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I
Hey there fellas..
I'm finally upgrading my brakes to s4 brakes and I would like to have the retaining screw holding the rotors in place..
O know it isn't necessary because after all been put together the carrier and pads and ultimately the wheel bolts will maintain everything in place but being somewhat ocd I'd like to have the retaining screen like oem s4 does.
The thing is, my hub does not have the hole to screw the bolt to hold the rotors and I'd like to know if it's safe or there's a way to drill the hole to secure the rotors with the screw..
I even have 2 sets of screw that was sent by mistake but my hub does have the hole for it..
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

It would be safe as the brake disc is secured to the hub with the wheel and wheel bolts but it is not 'good practice' as the disc would become 'loose' when/if the wheel where removed - not an issue if you do it but if someone who doesn't know the retaining screw is missing then that may prove an issue.

Obviously, if you clamp the brake disc to the hub, using 2-wheel bolts and suitable spacers then you can easily drill and tap the hub to suit whatever retaining screws you have - usually M6 but double-check.

I

It would be safe as the brake disc is secured to the hub with the wheel and wheel bolts but it is not 'good practice' as the disc would become 'loose' when/if the wheel where removed - not an issue if you do it but if someone who doesn't know the retaining screw is missing then that may prove an issue.

Obviously, if you clamp the brake disc to the hub, using 2-wheel bolts and suitable spacers then you can easily drill and tap the hub to suit whatever retaining screws you have - usually M6 but double-check.
Stock brakes actually hold in place when the wheels are off. But sue to the increased size of the s4 rotors I don't think it would apply..
It's been a while since I had somebody do any work to my car. But we never know if I might need it or not..

How would I go about it to drill the hub for the screw?
Don't wanna mess this up and really wanna do this and give good use to the screws..

Stock brakes actually hold in place when the wheels are off. But sue to the increased size of the s4 rotors I don't think it would apply..
It's been a while since I had somebody do any work to my car. But we never know if I might need it or not..

How would I go about it to drill the hub for the screw?
Don't wanna mess this up and really wanna do this and give good use to the screws..

Mark it, centre pop, drill and tap; all 'very' basic stuff really; the hub will be cast iron so easy drill and tap.

Excuse my ignorance..
But what you mean by tap?

Thread! You need to drill and then 'tap' that drilled hole to form the 'thread' and a 'tap' is the tool that dose that:

Something like this:

Tap and die

The threaded hole not only needs to be the correct diameter but the thread needs to have the correct pitch.

Are you sure you should be doing this? These are pretty basic engineering terms and tools - if you know what you're doing but if not then stop now.

Thread! You need to drill and then 'tap' that drilled hole to form the 'thread' and a 'tap' is the tool that dose that:

Something like this:

View attachment 114114

The threaded hole not only needs to be the correct diameter but the thread needs to have the correct pitch.

Are you sure you should be doing this? These are pretty basic engineering terms and tools - if you know what you're doing but if not then stop now.
Oh.. Ok..
I'm positive I can do it..
It's just I didn't know the name of the thing that's y I wasn't sure..
Thanks for the concern tho.. I will look into getting that tool to get it done.
Thanks a lot..
You helped more than you know..

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thank you and you're very welcome; good luck, I'm sure you'll not need it...

Thanks..
Tap ordered.
This brake upgrade is going to be really fun..

If it's an M6 tap then you'll need to drill a 4.95/5mm dia. hole; just sayin'...

Have fun!

Yeah..
I actually had that in mind because of the threading..
But thanks.. Can never be too careful..
Gonna get that done this weekend hopefully because the carriers will be here until Friday the latest and then I need to paint them to match the calipers..
Only then I can fit my new brakes..