Brake disc and pads for a4 avant

Alexthesparky

Reaction score
Hi all I am in need of new brake disc and pads I don't want to spend loads but obvesly do not want to skimp.
Does any one have any recommendations , have looked at pagid vented and green stuff pads but mixed reviews .
Please help as going in circles.

Hi. As far as I'm aware pagid discs are pretty much the oem replacement for VW/Audi.
If you can,avoid the EBC stuff (pads,discs) imean they do perform well,but won't last long. The pads will eat up themselves and the discs too in relatively short time, so thats wasted money imo.
For discs many of us gone for Mtec.
Plain,drilled,grooved whatever you'd like.
For pads: Mintex,brembo,ferodos are all very good with audis.
The choice should really depend of the stage of tuning on your car.
Mintex being for standard and lightly modded cars, brembos for moderate tuning, ferodo for high spec, track cars.

Well, I put standard Pagid discs and pads on recently and I have to say they were a considerable improvement on whatever was on the car previously. Which weren't original Audi, that I know. However, after a couple of thousand miles, one has warped badly so I'm in discussion with ECP regarding warranty replacement.

I had to buy another pair, then get round to replacing the existing ones, and return them to ECP for refund. Their first response was that they would have to have the discs back so they could be tested to confirm they have failed! Right. I think not.

And that is with a confirmation from my garage, who deal with them, that one disc is warped, based on their MoT brake tester. I guess such things happen.

Well I went down the route of fitting brembo disc and pads all round on my car and after 3 ****** months they are warped and have been for a few months, I am not a hard braker or hashy in any way but seems A4s do like to warp discs for fun. Really annoying but at the moment im just putting up with it, I will take them to my local machinests at some point and get them skimmed fresh.

I just had pagid discs and pads all round ( bog standard ones ) thumbs up from me. All in including painting calipers £500 at local garage. They did say that they wish they quoted more because the painting of calipers took them about 5 hours work.

£500???:faint:
I paid less for than that for upgraded drilled/grooved discs & pads all around + steel braided hoses and fitting all of it.
Calipers can be done on a single Saturday afternoon at the cost of high temp paint and a set of brushes.....

Yeah proper job, dismantle calipers, replace seals, check/clean piston bores etc, etc, replace disc shields, bleed nipples.

Basically it was about £350 all in for disc and pads replacement (about 2hrs labour) the rest was extra I asked for painting calipers cleaning up all other stuff to make it look nice. Discs and pads were £280 for mine is that bad?

I phoned around and no one could match it without putting on plastic discs!

Since you put it that way , then not bad at all, still the caliper part kinda stinks.

On top of that the car was on there ramps for two days whilst calipers were prepped and painted and paint drying. IMO I doubt any garage would disable a ramp/lift for two days just waiting for some paint to dry....

I just found a keen bunch of new guys willing to do this for me.

Oh yeah forgot they also sprayed hub part of calipers to match caliper too

Did I mention the replacement hoses? Not OEM mind you

Easy, Easy there.. all I said was a reaction to you original post of: £500 for discs,pads,and caliper paint.. at that point you didn't made it clear it has been a 2,3 day complete dismantle,re assemble jobby .. so no need to get offended.
just saying I've done my calipers on a sunny weekend at the cost of 1 tin of high temp paint, and whilst I did not completely replaced or cleaned every single part of em ,they look spot on even today at a cost of £14

Well if your DIY then of course it's going to be cheaper!

Sorry on hindsight I may have been a little sensitive. I just wanted to recommend some make of disc and pads not be the centre of ridicule.

Tbh I cant really offer help or comment when there is barely any info mentioned from the OP. I mean what car what hp what drive train. So many factors to take place here.

I will say the stock fitment on B7 from GMBH was ATE pads and discs.

Well, regarding cost, National Tyres wanted nearly £300 for discs and pads, fitted! £100 bought discs, pads, brake cleaner and some other consumables and one hour later (well, a little more, but I was faffing with not having a big enough clamp to get the pistons to retract), I had the job done.

Given they have airtools and such, and know exactly what they are doing (maybe) - I reckoned nearly £200 for labour was taking the **** a bit.

Blimey what type/make of discs & pads did you get for that price?

It does vary a lot depending on the size of discs and pads doesn't it..

I just checked Euro Car Parts & they have a sale on at the moment as far as i'm aware they are the sole distributer for Pagid in the UK.

Front & rear Pagid discs alone for my car would be £111.48 (on sale!!)