Brake calipers to paint or don't paint????

mike60e

Reaction score
Been having a look around to see if it's worth doing. Not sure on colour, but don't really want to paint them Red.
Just need some advice and ideas please.

:idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea: :idea::idea:

I'm not a fan of painting them on audi's if you're going to do it id paint them silver or black but it's whatever you prefer mate.

Black is always a good choice with some nice Audi stickers, in white or red, from ebay. :idea:

JG

I definitely think they should be painted to freshen them up! I painted mine black and added some white Audi decals that my mate made up!:) ..

If you have large wheels that you have spent money on the last thing you want is people's eyes being drawn to the rusty discs and calipers that potentially will be on show. As above black or silver is a good safe color and much better than rust color.
As your car is new you could probably get away with some kind of lacquer coating that would maintain the original colour.

I definitely think they should be painted to freshen them up! I painted mine black and added some white Audi decals that my mate made up!:) ..

Have you got any photos on here with the black calipers by any any chance. Looking at the black idea at the moment or spray them with lacquer as desertstorm mentioned

If you have large wheels that you have spent money on the last thing you want is people's eyes being drawn to the rusty discs and calipers that potentially will be on show. As above black or silver is a good safe color and much better than rust color.
As your car is new you could probably get away with some kind of lacquer coating that would maintain the original colour.

Thanks, good idea about spraying them with lacquer while they are new and clean. It will make it easier to keep the rust away and probably easier to clean :)

Yea I should have a few snaps, I will stick up some tomorrow mate! ..

Should of done the hub part , disc outer edge and guard black too.

Silver highlights brake dust , it's a chore to clean these areas unlike the 5 spokes and when done all in black the visual emphasis is all alloy wheel .

Here are my standard Callipers when I painted them before I upgraded the Callipers

Reactions: mike60e and Gazwould
I have the Audi ring decal in white against my black calipers and they have been on for 6 months and haven't moved even with washing etc!

Can you post a picture point_audi? I was thinking about getting these as I can't get away with S-line ones with my car being an SE :(

Sure no problem mate, I will get a better snap later! This is the only one I had on my phone!

Reactions: mike60e and ScottHannah
Quite like those s-line stickers, especially with the black paint.

My question is, how long do you think the stickers would last on the calipers?
They can get very hot, surely they'll peel or flake.

Chris

You can paint lacquer over the top of the stickers, i did it on one of my old cars about 6-7 years ago and it still going around and still look ok :)

Clear nail varnish does the job also!!lol

Hi Chris, they were only on a few months before the Callipers were removed but they looked fine I'm sure they will last a long time, I got the paint as smooth as possible and when dry I warmed the calliper up with a heat gun not too hot of course and stuck the stickers on then smoothing it out and warmed again to make sure the glue was activated and they were stuck like S**T to a blanket lol

Here is a pic of when I took them off and as you can see they still look like the day they were put on ;)

Reactions: RS5 JON and mike60e
Some difference in size, those S5 ones look good mate!

Reactions: SI-W85
They look very oem. Did you strip them down when you painted them and did you use spray or brush? It's just that i've always painted them on the car.
I did them on the car but spent a lot of time prepping them and to be honest I think it would have been easier to take them off, however the result was still good it just took me a full day to do that's all.

Reactions: mike60e
I know they are loads bigger, that's why I took a pic to compare the size difference lol

Can't wait till warranty runs out to put my S5 front brakes on, much more stopping power me thinks. Will be painting rears black with S-Line stickers to match S5 logo. ;)
JG

I love the set up I've got at the minute, as you say John loads more stopping power and combined with the Red Stuff pads and Black Diamond discs I think it makes a perfect combo

Reactions: RS5 JON
Defo getting red stuff pads, front & back, but keeping original S5 front discs until they need changed.
JG

I got them from fleebay 3 different sizes as wasn't sure which size I would need if I remember rightly it was the middle size I will try find them again on eBay and post a link

These are mine, best snap I could get as it was dark when I got home!

Thanks for the info, I get these and some black high gloss/ temp paint. Just need a warm dry day...lol

Just thought, i'd better check that it won't effect the warranty. You know want Audi are like!!!

Gloss black Hammerite is very good and not that expensive. I've never had any problems with that over the years.

Just thinking whether to put some laquer over the decal, and what would be best to use.

Thats exactly what I used to paint mine and I used some clear nail varnish!lol

Looks really well, my callipers are in need of some TLC when the weather warms up a bit!

Did anyone use special calliper paint? or will Hammerite do the job just as well for half the price.