1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake bleed sequence?

forty3 Jun 8, 2018

1. forty3

forty3 Active Member

Does anyone know the correct order for bleeding the brakes please?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. dimitar.tuntov.5

dimitar.tuntov.5 Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Supercharged Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic DSG

Rear passanger, rear driver, front passanger, front driver !

Done it twice one after the other and then no troubles at all

Audi S4 lover

forty3 likes this.
  4. Roadrunner146

Roadrunner146 Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Supercharged Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group

As already said. You start with the one furthest away from the servo and work in.

5. rum4mo

rum4mo Well-Known Member

Remember to dump quite a high volume of fluid out from the first long pipe as what remained in the reservoir needs to get added to the volume of the long lines and callipers. Official quantities were given at one time as 0.5ltr for each rear, 0.25ltr for the fronts and maybe 0.25ltr for the clutch, but I'd reckon more than 0.5ltr needs to be dumped from the first rear line. I seem to remember that I probably dump closer to 0.65ltr from long line 1, 0.35 from long line 2, and 0.25 from each of the front lines. Anyone running the ABS pump/valves to flush that zone out?

6. forty3

forty3 Active Member

Thanks everyone

7. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Are you sure it's furthest these days? On my Leon it's nearest first after you've activated the abs using vcds.
    I flushed my car then activated the abs and it was black.

8. rum4mo

rum4mo Well-Known Member

Hum, I've read about both methods, clearing the contents from the reservoir as much as possible first should help, I've been lazy and never flushed through the ABS block, and I'd be very annoyed if doing that with 4 clear lines caused dirty/old fluid to get into these 4 clear lines!

I'd guess a compromise that could work is to clear the reservoir content out initially by drawing as much as possible from the reservoir, then clearing the shortest line, then run the ABS pump etc which means drawing some fluid from all 4 lines again, then probably dumping the usual quantity of fluid from each of the 4 lines starting at the longest and ending with the shortest?

9. forty3

forty3 Active Member

I accidently let the reservoir run dry whilst the calipers were off being refurbed as the rubber glove i used to cap the line burst and allowed the reservoir to drain.

The bleeding went fine today but I'm now wondering if letting the reservoir drain might have trapped air in the ABS unit?

Don't fancy test driving it to find out that my brakes don't work.