Brake bleed screw snapped... help

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
unbelievable. I think I'm destined not to upgrade my brakes. My first brembo's had 2 seized bleeder screws. My second set were too big, and now the ttrs calipers I bought have a seized and now snapped bleed screw.

Someone please tell and there's a way for me to get this out. Some folks are saying to use an easy out tool? And is it ok to heat an aluminium caliper?

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 183
Aluminium expands more than Steel for the same temperature rise and a bit of hair dryer or heat gun action will do no harm. Think how hot the brakes can get if you use them hard.
Can you hammer a screwdriver into the hole then use a spanner to turn the screwdriver when the metal is hot?

Aluminium expands more than Steel for the same temperature rise and a bit of hair dryer or heat gun action will do no harm. Think how hot the brakes can get if you use them hard.
Can you hammer a screwdriver into the hole then use a spanner to turn the screwdriver when the metal is hot?
I'm going to buy a little flame thrower tomorrow and give it a blast. I'll see if I can get a screw extractor and if not I might bash a torq in to it

A flame thrower??!? Don't burn your paint off.
The torx bit idea sounds the way forward. The shock to the threads as you bash it in may loosen it anyway.

Don't do the screwdriver option you'll probably just make it worse.
I would use the bigger torx bit and hammer it in as I have done this on some wheels and it worked. I split some split rims a few month back and some of the bolts had been rounded off by a previous owner. To get them out I fetched the wheels in the house for a couple of days to warm up and then hammered a bigger spline bit in the rounded bolts( I used the next size up to what should have been used if they weren't rounded off)the bigger bit grabbed hold of the bolt head, I then put the ratchet on the bit and sure enough the rounded ones came out with a bit of force. A bit of wd40 on it a few hour before you do it always helps aswell.

A flame thrower??!? Don't burn your paint off.
The torx bit idea sounds the way forward. The shock to the threads as you bash it in may loosen it anyway.
Haha well I'm stripping them to paint them red anyway so I'm not too fussed about the paint

Don't do the screwdriver option you'll probably just make it worse.
I would use the bigger torx bit and hammer it in as I have done this on some wheels and it worked. I split some split rims a few month back and some of the bolts had been rounded off by a previous owner. To get them out I fetched the wheels in the house for a couple of days to warm up and then hammered a bigger spline bit in the rounded bolts( I used the next size up to what should have been used if they weren't rounded off)the bigger bit grabbed hold of the bolt head, I then put the ratchet on the bit and sure enough the rounded ones came out with a bit of force. A bit of wd40 on it a few hour before you do it always helps aswell.
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna bring it down to my local engineering shop tomorrow and see if it's something they can do. If not I'll give it a go. If all fails I'm gonna have to source a single caliper

Ok my local engineering shop sorted it out for me. I need a new bleed valve. Would I be right in saying I'm looking for a m10 x 1.0