Brads A4 B7 DTM progress thread

An off-the-shelf kit Richard, it was just easier than doing it with lots of separate bits.
there are loads of products
I just grabbed this one as it was on the shelf at Halfords on offer a few years ago.

Autoglym Headlight Restoration Complete Kit
Ok thanks, but I guess it wont deal with stone chips.

not really , it will work on fine scratches, but chips i doubt it.
in that case probably time for new ones.

Ok thanks, but I guess it wont deal with stone chips.
I think you'd be surprised how many defects can be removed from plastic headlights. Depending on the depth of the stone chips, wet sanding (starting from a heavier grit and working up to a very fine grit), followed by a compound and polish will take out all but the very worst defects. These are the results I got doing the above, these lenses are from the original halogen headlights my car came with, 17 years old and look almost as good as brand new now. They were heavily chipped, faded, and scratched before hand.

img_2365-jpeg.265519

img_2363-jpeg.265518

The benefit of this approach is you get to retain the genuine Audi lenses, which I've always found are the best in terms of fitment and clarity. If you do go this route, I would 100% recommend applying a ceramic coating afterwards to prevent any new oxidation creeping back in from UV exposure.

Reactions: quattrogone and Charlie Farley
One other interesting (well, to me ) thing to remember is that after a few years, the spectrum of light emitted by Xenon bulbs actually shifts more towards the UV end of the spectrum, unlike Halogen bulbs. Because of this, aging Xenon bulbs will actually degrade the plastic lens from the inside, which is far more difficult to wet sand and polish out than the outside. This is why I swapped the lenses from my original Halogen lights onto the Xenon lights as it meant I only had to restore one side. So definitely worth replacing the bulbs if it's not been done for a few years, and you want to keep clear headlights!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bradderz_1988 and Charlie Farley
They look really good, I have a spare headlight with a stone chips so will try it on that.
What grade paper did you use, and compound.?

Reactions: NM07 and Charlie Farley
I suppose it depends on the size and depth of the chip then, small chips and scuffs will buff out , bigger ones maybe more difficult.

They look really good, I have a spare headlight with a stone chips so will try it on that.
What grade paper did you use, and compound.?
I'll be honest I can't remember the exact grades of sandpaper I used, I think I started at around 1000 grit and worked upwards to the finest grade I had available in my toolbox. For compound I used Meguiars M105, polish was M205, and I then coated the lenses with 3 layers of CarPro CQuartz 3.0.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
When you do a mod on your car and you just can’t stop looking at it when you park up loving how much the new lenses have transformed the look of front end.

8D02501E 5E42 403A 8D6F 1585EC424692

need to get a TT/S3 flat bottom soon so i can stop looking at that ugly B7 airbag.

Next job is tackle the front suspension as that needs doing prior to the rear axle refresh, Meyle HD kit is here and front/rear wheels bearings too, Verkline polybush kit and shocks/springs will be ordered next can one recommend decent shocks that would go well with eibach pro springs for a nice OEM+ feel ?

Reactions: quattrogone and Charlie Farley
When you do a mod on your car and you just can’t stop looking at it when you park up loving how much the new lenses have transformed the look of front end.

View attachment 266236

need to get a TT/S3 flat bottom soon so i can stop looking at that ugly B7 airbag.

Next job is tackle the front suspension as that needs doing prior to the rear axle refresh, Meyle HD kit is here and front/rear wheels bearings too, Verkline polybush kit and shocks/springs will be ordered next can one recommend decent shocks that would go well with eibach pro springs for a nice OEM+ feel ?
Looking good :thumbs up: what’s the deal with changing to the S3 flat bottom steering wheel? I like the idea but wouldn’t know where to start

View attachment 266236

looks great and I must say the B7 front end looks spot on, just so well proportioned and shaped.:icon thumright:
Bilstein B8 dampers are excellent.

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
Looking good :thumbs up: what’s the deal with changing to the S3 flat bottom steering wheel? I like the idea but wouldn’t know where to start
with the smaller wheel and smaller round airbag it is just much nicer Rob, the factory B7 steering wheel is an ugly lump, it works fine but not the most aesthetically pleasing item.

I know my RS4 FBSW only has very limited functionality compared to the OEM one but it is still much nicer in use and look at.

I know my RS4 FBSW only has very limited functionality compared to the OEM one but it is still much nicer in use and look at.
I read that the Audi TT flat bottom wheel has the same connectors as the B7, the S3 needs some wiring mods airbag wires,?

with the smaller wheel and smaller round airbag it is just much nicer Rob, the factory B7 steering wheel is an ugly lump, it works fine but not the most aesthetically pleasing item.
I’ve heard of people doing this mod previously, also seems to be much more readily available than the B7 RS4 FBSW.
Would be interested to know what’s involved

I’ve heard of people doing this mod previously, also seems to be much more readily available than the B7 RS4 FBSW.
Would be interested to know what’s involved
I believe you need a certain steering module to accept the multi function switches if yours doesn’t already have them or just find one without them then also think you need the airbag loom or re-pin your existing one im not 100% sure on that front not looked into it that far.

Reactions: Rob Avant and tr7
Love a good parts delivery.

Meyle HD control arms
Verkline front polybush kit

IMG 9933
IMG 9928

Also ordered the front Bilstein dust cover kit and Meyle top rubber strut mounts and also the Eibach B12 Pro Kit but the springs are on back order from Eibach with an ETA of mid June ☠️

Will get this lot fitted prior to the B12 Kit arriving along with new FAG front wheel bearings, I really wanted to do it all in one hit but im not waiting till June

Reactions: Gmac and tr7
You’ve me half convinced to get a set of Bilsteins myself now. And that’s after I ended ordering an exhaust too :laughing:

CB4F4641 BC87 4E9D A2C5 261D56960BF9

My RS3 wheel in my daily. Couldn’t go back once you’ve had it.

Will still be worth what you pay for it in future too. Money well worth spending imo

You’ve me half convinced to get a set of Bilsteins myself now. And that’s after I ended ordering an exhaust too :laughing:

View attachment 266745

My RS3 wheel in my daily. Couldn’t go back once you’ve had it.

Will still be worth what you pay for it in future too. Money well worth spending imo
I see you finally fitted the RS4 pedals :rock:

Bit of an update

Arms have all been debushed and rebushed with the Verkline kit and ready to fit along with wheel bearings soon as i can find some free time maybe after the bank holiday i will get them done.

and sods law i buy needed upgrades and the car throws a curve ball looks like the fuel pump is about to die in the next coming days as had lazy start and cutting out after initial start up its served the car well at 203k miles so ive ordered a VDO pump from Autodoc luckily they had 42% discount on today which is highest I've seen the discount at before so its come at a decent time really as Im getting the car ready for our trip to Wales in June so better than it going in Wales i suppose plus im hoping the B12 kit turns up before then so i can see how it does on the welsh country roads :racer:

Great car you've got here and love how much work your putting into it. Been a great read so far, gonna follow this build. Great to see how it's over 200k miles and you've still got it. Most people would be upgrading or getting something with lower miles. Great work! Recently just bought a 2007 Audi A4 special edition 2.0tfsi lovely cars and I want to do some of the stuff you've done. Keep going with it. Looks awesome with what you done to the lights.

Well after fitting the meyle/verkline control arms i had a knock that was previously there but more noticeable after the arms were changed turns out the upright at the upper control arm on the drivers side had been wearing the upright and causing a knock on the pinch bolt so ive since replaced both uprights and then found that the inner cv boot had decided to to let go so ordered all 4 front boots.

IMG 0852

Then today i had a surprise delivery and the B12 kit has finally landed !!!
IMG 0882

Reactions: Gmac, tr7, Mattyzee1 and 1 other person
Little job for today before our trip to Wales tomorrow.

All 4 front cv boots replaced
Old
IMG 0968

New
IMG 0969

when im back from Wales il be fitting the B12 Kit as going to order the rear bump stops, upper rear shock mounts and rear rubber spring perches.

Reactions: Greeny233, Gmac, tr7 and 1 other person
So the last few bits turned up in order to fit the B12 kit finally which i will be doing next weekend along with oil and filter change and changing the lower rear O/S control arm that i split the ball joint boot on when doing the new uprights.

IMG 1454

Got the rear shocks built up ready to just throw on and the front shocks/springs some what ready to fit :wink new:
IMG 1457

Also fitted a set of smoked side repeaters
Before
IMG 1459

After
IMG 1460

And Monday its MOT time so gave it a once over today and it will pass with flying colours with all the work its had done recently and the fact my work mate will be doing it as we can’t MOT our own personal cars :glee:

Reactions: tr7, Gmac, Greeny233 and 1 other person
Coming along nicely and you won't be disappointed with the B12 kit, it's an excellent upgrade. :thumbs up:

So today i said goodbye to worn out/soft suspension
IMG 1680

IMG 1681

IMG 1682

IMG 1676

gave the arches a quick clean out of the crap that had gathered behind the arch liners
IMG 1679

IMG 1677

made sure the pinch bolts were greased before fitting as we all should know by now this should be regular maintenance too lol
IMG 1683

IMG 1684

We shall see how it settles over this next week but im happy with how its sitting already.

IMG 1686

Now for the part where i starting swearing repeatedly lol

toe was very slightly out on the OS rear i could of left it as is but me being me i wanted it bang on so set about adjusting the rear toe and ‘ping’ off it came
IMG 1689

The bolt is seized solid in the bush it ain’t going nowhere but i removed the eccentric washer and managed to get some of thread with a new nut and it tight, ive marked it to check if its been moving and going to reassess it Monday and probs going to weld the bolt to the nut as im planning on dropping it all soon to do the rear axle refresh anyway so no point trying to get it out when I have a spare axle

IMG 1690

Reactions: tr7, Rob Avant, Charlie Farley and 1 other person
Car is sitting bang on! Looks great and I’m sure you’ll notice a huge difference. Nice one.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Bradderz_1988
So today i said goodbye to worn out/soft suspension
View attachment 269066
View attachment 269067
View attachment 269068
View attachment 269069

gave the arches a quick clean out of the crap that had gathered behind the arch liners
View attachment 269070
View attachment 269071

made sure the pinch bolts were greased before fitting as we all should know by now this should be regular maintenance too lol
View attachment 269072
View attachment 269073

We shall see how it settles over this next week but im happy with how its sitting already.

View attachment 269074

Now for the part where i starting swearing repeatedly lol

toe was very slightly out on the OS rear i could of left it as is but me being me i wanted it bang on so set about adjusting the rear toe and ‘ping’ off it came
View attachment 269075

The bolt is seized solid in the bush it ain’t going nowhere but i removed the eccentric washer and managed to get some of thread with a new nut and it tight, ive marked it to check if its been moving and going to reassess it Monday and probs going to weld the bolt to the nut as im planning on dropping it all soon to do the rear axle refresh anyway so no point trying to get it out when I have a spare axle

View attachment 269076
Looks spot on , B12 kit is excellent and you will really notice the improvement in handling and ride quality. :thumbs up:

Looks spot on , B12 kit is excellent and you will really notice the improvement in handling and ride quality. :thumbs up:
You wasn’t wrong WOW

After driving it now for a few week its totally transformed the way it drives/feel’s definitely worth it !!

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
They are such a good kit, just a shame Audi didn’t fit this quality kit to start with.

Little update

so ive finally pulled my finger out and the rear subframe is finally with the powdercoaters and i will be picking it up in 2 weeks time :icon thumright:

Reactions: Gmac, Greeny233, tr7 and 1 other person
Finally back in my possession after a trip to the powder coaters
IMG 2382
IMG 2381

Reactions: NM07, Wagon Wheels, Rob Avant and 3 others
So this afternoon went a bit quiet at work so had a word with the boss and told him i was cracking on with putting the bushes in my subframe lol

Shame its going to be tucked away under the boot floor.
IMG 2436

Reactions: tr7, Wagon Wheels, Gmac and 1 other person
No real updates on the rear refresh, i put that on hold for a while to sort other stuff out (Sofa/TV/Soundbar/media Wall, playing Forza is now very entertaining lol)

So i fitted a aftermarket boot trim and swapped out the festoons for LED’s
IMG 3471
IMG 3472

A week or so ago i hit a curb in aldi car park (i was F’in Fuming) the carbon splitter held nicely but caused the bumper to flex and stress and crack and also crack the lower grills.
IMG 3683
IMG 3684

IMG 3660

Had a coolant leak which was a crack in the mayle reservoir
IMG 4188

Replaced with a new genuine one from eBay for £18 all in
IMG 4187
IMG 4189

• Sad
Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
Ouch, thats not ideal chap and things were coming along really well too.
hopefully it will fix ok .
best of luck .