Brads A4 B7 DTM progress thread

Bradderz_1988

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!
Thought id start a progress thread for my DTM as my cars never seem to stay standard for long have a look at my B5 thread if you fancy a read sadly its been scrapped had big plans for it but it never panned out the way i was hoping loved that car hopefully this DTM will fill its shoes for some years to come.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/brads-a4-2-0-tqs-build-thread.125338/

Firstly the motor

699F2E88-6D00-44CF-977B-B84FAFD5CDA7.jpeg
60C9248D-FBF9-4CAD-B40E-A02D413C662A.jpeg
F8702262-AAD2-44F7-9F3A-7BCD53CE6160.jpeg
D2D2D6B8-8FF3-47CB-870D-5495FEE039C2.jpeg

F062749B-A605-4E66-8761-4B8AD8E19F67.jpeg

Started of pretty good but all was to good to be true, serviced it saturday then had the oil pressure light come on on Sunday after some vigorous driving, dropped the sump last night and the chain and sprockets are all intact had a look at the pick up and there was quite alot of carbon deposits lodged in the gauze so i presume the fresh oil and vigorous driving/high oil temps dislodged some carbon build up causing the light to come on luckily i was a street away so just coasted on to my drive so hopefully no other damage to the turbo/engine has been done.

Its got a dreadful chatter from the gearbox on take off and on overun in the lower gears service book mentions new clutch and flywheel fitted so i was under the impression a solid flywheel had been fitted and whilst the sump was off my suspicions were correct and its got this fitted unsure what brand it is anyone recognise what solid flywheel it is and what the brand maybe ??

CDA52385-07D7-4062-916A-71EA46AF4599.jpeg

Bradderz_1988

I believe this fitted to my car is the ecs ra4 stage 1 with RS4 clutch ??

B8461C26-F6A3-4808-807E-2748DB45FABC.jpeg

Bradderz_1988

Well its back on the road fitted new pick up pipe and its fixed, fitted the modified pick up that is superseded from the original pick up as it has a valve in this extra pipe that im presuming when the pick up blocks up it will open this valve as a fail safe. Part number is 06F 115 251 B for anyone maybe wanting to future proof the pick up blocking and causing further damage to your motor.

E48663AD-F0A8-4DB1-9D76-F4468C54C59C.jpeg

Bradderz_1988

Looking at starting to aquire parts needed for going the k04 route

So ive already got a miltek non-res system (pic below as didnt update this thread when i done it lol) also has 034 transmission insert, 034 snub mount, PCV delete, 034 TIP, R8 Coils, ECS RA4 kit (already picked up a new replacement LUK RS4 clutch for £130 as its started to slip) just had new HPFP follower.

7F7E25C2-FD53-4781-B49A-F4E26CB2D2EB.jpeg

Now back to K04 my list so far is :-

• K04-064 Turbo
  • S3 DV housing (will standard DV + GFB DV+ work on this setup ?)
  • S3 Injectors
  • RS4 pressure relief valve
  • HPFP internals (recommendations?)
  • Decat/High Flow Cat (recommendations will be leaning towards FS and LC also is this custom flange or are aftermarkets readily available?)
  • Runner Flap Delete kit
  • APR carbonio intake
  • Air-tec front mount intercooler (pipework modified to accommodate S3 DV)
  • Unicorn remap
Anything else ?

Any input appreciated

Bradderz_1988

Well today was a good 5hrs worth of work could of been quicker as hit a couple of niggles whilst at it but main one being the coolant housing to hard pipe hose being fused to the hard pipe. Cheers @Just Rob. for the heads up on this on his thread about the connecting hose would recommend ordering what he says in his thread in the stickys.

So anyway here goes, Today i replaced the rs4 clutch and as i initially thought after having the sump off it is an ecs RA4 stage 1 setup fitted to my car so the RS4 clutch i ordered for it did the job and I didn’t need to leave my car stranded at work till i could source the right clutch if it was something else that was fitted lol

As the gearbox was out i thought i may as-well future proof my coolant housing for some years to come it wasn't leaking but i replaced the heater matrix hoses last month when i did the CCT housing as the fuel pump bolts stripped from being over tightened (this was me rushing a job over 12 months ago and they finally let go) and i can say theres plenty of room once that box is out the way and it was an absolute doddle (except the fused hose) so would recommend if you are doing a clutch do this at the same time save you trying to get at it from the engine bay.

Few pics nothing special lol

ECS Tuning RA4 hiding away that i had no history/paper work for just a hunch from when i did the pick up took me 1 hour and 20 mins to get to this point so was going good to start off with lol
86402CD7-0F29-49C5-AB7B-05C296300D80.jpeg

Wasn't leaking but probs not far off !
B09AE01F-AD55-4C30-9C0A-731F8EF7D52D.jpeg

Removed
5FDE3CB0-07E1-409A-86AD-4E3A2EAA433B.jpeg

Installed
89993E5A-D08F-4B7D-B5AE-7FEDB2613EAA.jpeg

Fag break and quick rear end ramp shot after the box was removed lol
0830CEC3-1C29-434F-9A80-63C224584443.jpeg

Drained the lower Rad hose too get most the other coolant out then vacuum bled with works VAS 6096 coolant vacuum kit and some fresh G13 ready mix.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Making good progress chap, I noticed you found that water flange, it can be a right knuckle scrapper.

Bradderz_1988

Making good progress chap, I noticed you found that water flange, it can be a right knuckle scrapper.

Yes luckily it was sat right were it was situated so it come out with ease, as soon as i removed the housing i could tell it looked a bit ‘short’ so luckily it hadn’t gone into the head any further. I wouldn’t like to tackle the housing from up top hence why i used my brains and ordered all the bits when i got the RS4 clutch as this cars just hit 175K so its done some milage so im expecting some jobs to be coming up in near future lol

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
I have a Friday afternoon special too :sorrow:, but with a lot of TLC over 5 years ownership its become a little bit more reliable.:yahoo:

Bradderz_1988

Not updated this in a while

fitted RM motors 3” decat to the non-res miltek
4A6EA586-0088-412C-BF2A-A40E0C008703.jpeg

Did the brembo 18Z upgrade with 350mm A4 AMG disc.
9798691D-9DD9-4465-AD50-B6C9BA1D35E0.jpeg
D7615544-E3CF-4AF6-8523-AC6EA8850BD6.jpeg
60993FA4-4F0B-4F89-A168-15E516BE93DD.jpeg
5C75C277-2788-47FA-A598-BD8C8D3782A6.jpeg

Now on to the S4 300mm rears.
657F1E9E-4D58-4A9D-AEC7-52771E6FF5A7.jpeg

Picked up a set of used calipers for £180 from eBay need to order some repair kits as piston covers have split ever so slightly (Does anyone have the TRW part numbers?) the rear disc/pads are on route from autodoc and should arrive soon i went for zimmerman disc and brembo pads, rear HEL braided hoses in red are on back order so need wait for them to match my front hoses.

cleaned them up with wire wheel and brake cleaner.
46673D93-931E-41EE-95CC-F4894B2D7759.jpeg

Gave the carriers a first coat with hammerite ‘smooth red’ earlier this evening
BF2C4B61-713D-4FE4-A6E3-E6437E299569.jpeg

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
:icon thumright: :yes:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
What's your plan at MOT time chap, that's a decat and a half but swapping it over every year seems a bit of a task.

Bradderz_1988

What's your plan at MOT time chap, that's a decat and a half but swapping it over every year seems a bit of a task.
Yeah im probably going to look at getting a HFC instead at somepoint, but for now i can get a pass with the decat on :tonguewink:(shhh)

Bradderz_1988

Ive finally finished the refurbishment on these and ready to fit the S4 B6/7 300mm brakes at somepoint.

New pistons, seals, boots, bleed nipples and slide pin boots, i reused the old slide pins as they wasn’t seized and just needed cleaning and greasing.
759C15B9-78EB-48B3-9A76-25F7349BA27E.jpeg

03575198-67F7-485A-8B19-432D650A9F50.jpeg

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Nice work, look forward to seeing all on. :yes: :thumbs up:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
My only reservation with painting these types of metal calipers is that they do tend to look hand painted, nothing wrong with that but i don't find it suits them as well as alloy calipers that need to be anodised, painted or clear coated due to the nature of the product material..
I think i'd go with a very dark grey or steel colour for plain metal calipers and stick to brighter colour schemes to ally ones, just my input .
good job all the same.

Last edited:

Bradderz_1988

Nice work, look forward to seeing all on. :yes: :thumbs up:
Just need find time to fit them now, i also read that the rear shock bolt needs removing to gain access to the caliper carrier bolt and can be a bit of a pig to do ?!?

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Plenty of penetrating fluid on the bolts over the course of a few days before hand has very good results.

Bradderz_1988

Couldn’t wait so fitted them after work this evening.

unfortunately I couldn’t fit my HEL brake hoses as my brake pipes are done for so i had to keep the stock hoses and will tackle the brake lines when i refresh the rear end.

also didn’t have any issues removing the carrier bolts and didn’t need to remove the rear shock to access them which was a bonus, pedal is a tad spongy so will give them another bleed tomorrow as probably an air lock due

not much difference in size and appearance but the zimmerman disc do look miles better and the colour of the calipers match the front 18Z’s.

Stock
BBF66074-D92A-48E9-8C48-1AEC70F7C9A2.jpeg

S4 B6/7’s
ADA20445-FDC5-4F4F-B157-89A12E93A8BA.jpeg

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
nice work, calipers look a lot better now fitted aswell. :icon thumright:

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
Couldn’t wait so fitted them after work this evening.

unfortunately I couldn’t fit my HEL brake hoses as my brake pipes are done for so i had to keep the stock hoses and will tackle the brake lines when i refresh the rear end.

also didn’t have any issues removing the carrier bolts and didn’t need to remove the rear shock to access them which was a bonus, pedal is a tad spongy so will give them another bleed tomorrow as probably an air lock due

not much difference in size and appearance but the zimmerman disc do look miles better and the colour of the calipers match the front 18Z’s.

Stock
View attachment 243008

S4 B6/7’s
View attachment 243009
those discs look very snug in the carriers too, must be 1mm to spare by the looks of the pics.

Bradderz_1988

those discs look very snug in the carriers too, must be 1mm to spare by the looks of the pics.
Just standard S4 setup so presume they are all like this not actually checked how much clearance the disc has to carriers, re bled the rears today after work and the pedal is so much better presume the pistons had an air lock that didn’t budge first time round the VAS brake bleeder at work made it a lot better especially when i did the 18Z’s as believe they can be a mare to bleed. Will probably give them another bleed all round in next few days just make sure as its a tad off what it was before fitting the S4 rears.

I'm Just Rob.

Moderating or something,
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
The 18z's can be pain but there is really effective way to get them bled.
After fitting leave all 4 bleed valves open , then refill with system with fluid, after a short while gravity does a very job of pushing out air, nip up the valves . i use it everytime now followed by a quick bleed with a gunson kit a few days later but that's just for a belt and braces job as there is rarely any air left to bleed out.

just an alternative method that works very well.