BP launches 102RON Fuel

Wow.... CHEAP Fuel...... NOT !!!!!.. wouldn't mind trying it though - question is - would one get hooked (could you afford to get hooked) if it really did make a big difference

I think they have kind of missed the point with charging that much. It'd be cheaper to use octane booster.....

Plus I really can't see them devoting a nozzle on every forecourt for a fuel that virtually nobody will buy...

And it will honestly make ****** all difference over 98/99 ron in 99% of cars!

[ QUOTE ]
I think they have kind of missed the point with charging that much. It'd be cheaper to use octane booster.....

Plus I really can't see them devoting a nozzle on every forecourt for a fuel that virtually nobody will buy...

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair to BP, they have stipulated on a number of occasions that this fuel isn't aimed a the average motorist, but "specifically for private motorsport enthusiasts". Making the fuel available to people who probably wouldn't have been able to get hold of it before. If it's handmade etc. then it probably cost them a lot more than 2 1/2 times the cost to make it over normal fuel.

Heheheh... Just what the doctor ordered; higher-priced fuel!

Impressive figures if valid though; but I guess you'd hope to get a better performance from what I guess isn't too far removed from commercial motorsport fuel. I'm struggling to think that BP are sympathisers of highly-tuned road cars though, I can't help thinking that they're just expecting to cash-in from countless M3 and Boxster owners queuing-up to have the Bollinger of Petrols in their tanks? Perhaps I'm being too cynical. I wonder if using it increases your carbon footprint? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It'll be interesting too see if there are any reactions from manufacturers in terms of warranties. All that extra performance does after all come from a bigger bang in your very expensive engine; and we all know how jumpy manufacturers get about things like that.

...It's no matter to me anyway, my baby already drinks a lot better than she needs to with Optimax - I think I'll be going to Tesco for their 99RON from now on though, the attraction of being able to collect points that allow you to make what's already good/cheap fuel even cheaper is too great. Maybe if Shell add some new tumblers to their reward scheme I might not switch...

Just for the record, the North-West chaps might be interested to know that I'm reliably informed that Wigan Tesco now has their 99RON stuff. Hopefully Horwich will follow suit soon and I'll only have to travel 2 minutes from work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Rob.

Is anyone running Tesco 99ron in a remapped S3?

Just wondering if there are any noticable differences and how compatible it would be with a AMD remap, is this remap just wriiten for 98ron optimax for example or will mine work with Tesco 99ron?

I would try BPs 102ron fuel, as I have not yet tried the 99octain so if it does come out before I can get my **** down to a Tesco petrol station then I'll defiantly try it out. Although I doubt it would be my usual fill up with a price like that...

[ QUOTE ]

Just wondering if there are any noticable differences and how compatible it would be with a AMD remap, is this remap just wriiten for 98ron optimax for example or will mine work with Tesco 99ron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I alternate between Optimax and TEsco, mainly Optimax as I pass a shell garage more often, and I doubt that TEsco is as good for the engine. However, I think the car is faster with the tesco fuel which is also cheaper. The car just seems to have more torque lower down.

I wrote up (briefly) Evo magazines findings a while ago Here

[ QUOTE ]
Yip its aimed at track use drivers (or wana be colin Mc craes) i know a few of them , who will buy it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, though are any of these from the link at the top:

Tudor Filling Station in Maidstone, Chicheley Park Connect in Newport Pagnell, Wavendon Gate Connect in Milton Keynes, All Saints Self Serve in Portsmouth, Newbury Centre Filling Station in Newbury Park and Newham Way Service Station in Canning Town, London,

actually near tracks?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had my AmD remap done, I enquired about using Optimax as my choice of fuel, the chap told me it would run better, but it's not specifically an Optimax remap. I've also tried Tescos 99RON in my motor, out on the road, it feels much more livelier at 70mph+, but made the same power on PowerEngineering's Rolling road.