bouncing front suspension grrr!!!!

Buxton2901

Reaction score
Ok guys you know I've had nothing but problems with the new motor and I have discovered a new one.
Front suspension seems to bounce over every bump.
I expected the s line suspension to be a hard ride and with 18 inch wheels etc but I know something isn't right.
Any common issue with suspension?
I'm thinking anti roll bar or bushes.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers peeps

With the mileage yours has I would check the shockers.

Karl.

Reactions: SI-W85
Yes check shocks, do the bounce test, This is not scientifically proven but a good indication.
Stand in front of the car and then on a surface that won't dent or bend; push it down fast it doesn't have to be center, pushing the car down. Then quickly remove your hands. The car should bounce up and return to its original position rather stiffly, without continuing to bounce. If it bounces more than a couple of times, this is an indication that perhaps the shock absorbers are weak.

Yes check shocks, do the bounce test, This is not scientifically proven but a good indication.
Stand in front of the car and then on a surface that won't dent or bend; push it down fast it doesn't have to be center, pushing the car down. Then quickly remove your hands. The car should bounce up and return to its original position rather stiffly, without continuing to bounce. If it bounces more than a couple of times, this is an indication that perhaps the shock absorbers are weak.

Ok thanks guys will be checking them today.
Easy to replace or do u need spring compressors?

Ok so I've tried this and there is only about an inch of travel and it does bounce but there is also a slight knocking on full lock.
Think it's best to get the front end looked at.

Ok so I've tried this and there is only about an inch of travel and it does bounce but there is also a slight knocking on full lock.
Think it's best to get the front end looked at.

Have you also checked for anything missing around the front end like the ARM bolts, bushes worn on the lower arm etc and the slight knock might be from the steering rack, does it do it on full lock on both turns?

Last edited:
Have you also checked for anything missing around the front end like the ARM bolts, bushes worn on the lower arm etc and the slight knock might be from the steering rack, does it do it on full lock on both turns?

Doesn't do it both sides. Will check for missing arm bolts lol do they tend to fall off?

Doesn't do it both sides. Will check for missing arm bolts lol do they tend to fall off?

Not so common on the B8 A4's, but use to happen on the B6 & B7. It worth a look tho just to check things off. Is the car still under warranty?

Not so common on the B8 A4's, but use to happen on the B6 & B7. It worth a look tho just to check things off. Is the car still under warranty?

Yeah but just an rac one which stats it doesn't cover things when they deem them to be at the end of their life. So due to the high mileage I don't think they will cover the shockers etc

Have you checked for leakages. It's not uncommon for the shocks to be replaced. I had to get 3 out of the 4 done on mine and the car had only done around 74k.

I had a similar bounce issue on one of the shocks on the convertible which was down to a lack of fluid in the shock.

i have checked for leakage but cant really see any, maybe there is no fluid left to leak lol
I have ordered the replacements for the front anyway and will see if it improves the ride then might do the rears at a later date

I found it was one of my fronts and both the rears. The handling was greatly improved once the work was done.

I found it was one of my fronts and both the rears. The handling was greatly improved once the work was done.

just paid £123 for the 2 front bilstein B4 shocks and will cost another £50 for my mate to fit then will try to afford the rears.
the rear doesn't bounce very much, its mainly the front

did you just change the shocks or springs also?

I didn't really notice the difference between when the car was new and up to the point of repair. I just noticed things had got softer, but I put it down to age. What I did notice was the handling, it just seen to get progressively worse.

I only had the shocks replaced, but it made a huge difference. It was a lot harder and the car could handle corners again!