1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought two cheap at auction, no keys, no titles. Advice

AudiX2 Apr 22, 2019

1. AudiX2

AudiX2 New Member

Hello. I recently purchased two Audis, with no key and no title. I can apply for the title but that will likely take some time. I want to probably try and get one running and perhaps donate the other. One is a 2 door 2004 cabriolet a4 and the other is 2003 a6 3.0 awd ( looks like a station wagon).

My question is this. There is no way to check mileage or even what might be wrong with the cars without starting them with a programmed key, right? Is my first step to title both of them and bring the titles in to a dealership and have one key made for each? Then seeing if either one even starts? I should probably leave them at my house for the time being, get titles, get keys via titles, see if either starts, if able to get them started check mileage. If low enough to keep for family use, then take it to a repair shop where an expert mechanic can check out? Or am I way off base here? TY

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

:blink: Bought cars without a v5 and keys plus they got delivered to your door? Must of been good value for you to roll with this setup, your assumption seems about right it would most likely be v5 then keys, only other option would be breaking in and doing it the dodgy way... know a couple who have ways and means but I'd rather reframe from suggestions...

4. Tj 0785

Tj 0785 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter VCDS Map User Bronze Supporter Audi S3

He’s in Texas you can get a “title” sorted easily enough but legally you don’t own the car until you have the title,which unless from a reputable source
    I wouldn’t do personally ,Id do you 1st option get title and then see if dealer can sort a key that new barrels and key from a scrapper and a brick for access

Lad I know lost key for work transit van and bought a key and ignition barrel of eBay got it fitted so work didn’t find out, he got away with it till they needed to service it as the new key wouldn’t fit the bonnet lock so make sure if you swap a barrel you get the full set

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  5. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator X3 M-Sport Alpine White

6. AudiX2

AudiX2 New Member

I have learned a TON about Audis since I last posted. Got titles to both. I did donate the a4 (wish I hadn'tbothered with the title). Kept the a6. Both vehicles could tell me the mileage with a battery charge and the valet key. In fact, I haven't had to make up a normal key, the valet key does it all for now, except remotely lock and unlock, of course. Bought some backups keys from alibaba and having a locksmith cut them for the price AAA will reimburse me.

7. AudiX2

AudiX2 New Member

PS - I LOVE my remaining Audi. Worth the price I paid for both and then some.

avant_karl likes this.