Bought new glove box damper. How do you remove pin??

T3KT0N1K

Reaction score
I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but...

I've searched the forum and read a few threads, but I can't see how to remove the plastic pin that joins the glove box hinge to the damper plunger. I tried to pull it out with a pair of pliers, expecting it to slide out fairly easily, but it wouldn't budge and, since I feared snapping the hinge, I thought it best to ask you guys. The experts.

So how thick am I being?

It does just pull out. It has a split in it which opens out at the back and locks it. I got mine out by pulling and twisting at the same time, it's quite tough!
A wee blob of oil might help.

Reactions: T3KT0N1K
I found that prysing it up with a small screw driver to be easier, then pull it completely owt.

Just owt of curiosity, how much was the new damper?

It does just pull out. It has a split in it which opens out at the back and locks it. I got mine out by pulling and twisting at the same time, it's quite tough!
A wee blob of oil might help.

So it's shaped kinda like an old skool clothes peg, but with a barb on each leg? I think I know what you mean. If it's what I'm thinking of, I would have to squeeze the barbed leg end (which faces the glovebox) with narrow long nose pliers, the pull the other end with another set of pliers, towards the door. Right?

The 'peg' is indeed shaped as I suspected in my previous post. I removed it using a pair of angled long nose pliers to squeeze the two prongs of the pin together on the end facing the glove box, while using a pair of tweezers to pull the other end (facing the door). Took five minutes to do and now my glove box opens and closes as smooth as silk.

Thanks to Fangio for the enlightening info. Can't believe I didn't think of/realise that earlier!