Bought myself a little fixer-upper..

a3oz

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the site! I picked up a damaged 2011 A3 Quattro at auction a couple of months ago and finally got some garage space today to start on the 'fixup'. It has had a front impact but other than radiator damage, it seems to run ok - I can start engine and drive it for a minute or so. So pulled off most of the damaged bits and started to have a good look at it today

QrZIMlH.jpg

Already though, there are some mystery connectors :) Behind the radiator sits this thing with a yellow plug. Not sure what it's for..
KVJUqDV.jpg

And near the alternator, a mysterious pair of wires (have they been cut by someone?) and what I'm guessing may be water temp sensor for the coolant.
qOdBVxW.jpg

Ah! Thanks for that. Good to know

I do like a fixxa upper story, done a few myself, current project is a Clio TCE TomTom Dynamique, just a cat D, rear bumper and door changed, easy peasy. Was going to sell it for quick £1k profit but the daughter has taken a shine to it. "Dad, I like the Clio but I can't afford it" :sob:

By the look of yours it's going to a be couple of months to get it sorted.

Reactions: Retroman and lea323ci
Yep, will require some time. But got all three rads off today and all the damaged plastic. Slow and steady wins the race.

Whatever those wires are, they don't look (freshly) cut to me, and as unlikely as it seems nor do they look as if they have ever really been connected to anything, going by the dirt and corrosion visible on the wire strands.

Have a good look underneath at the control arm mountings, the gearbox linkage for movement and any creasing of the bulkhead where it meets the floor. If the front door panel gaps are wrong, there is a big issue to overcome. Hopefully the front crash bar, padding and wings took the brunt of the impact.
Was it insurance categorised?

@Nessy Yep, exactly right there. I can't imagine that Audi would have left exposed wires around somewhere so my guess is that when it got picked up after the accident, someone knowledgeable cut the wires. And then it was sitting pre-auction for a while. I'm uncertain whether there is a crash sensor on the alternator side (driver side) of the engine, I didn't find one so possibly the wires led to that and they cut them in the event the airbags don't go off (which they didn't).

@SootySport Had a detailed look and the weld on the inside of the metal piece where the reservoir sits is gone. Removed or simply had force transmitted through it(?). I've had a body repairer who has done some repainting for me previously come and have a look. He's said repairable but he really needs the engine out for him to make it perfect again. Which actually doesn't really phase me as I always thought that was a possibility and I'm under no pressure to finish/free up the garage. Front driver side and pax side doors close perfectly with a very solid kind of Audi thunk. I think the crashbar took most of the force transmitted and as is evident, front of both fender/wing panels got bent in.

Ah well, sounds OK then just a lot of time required. Good luck.