bought my dream car,a mk1 golf moredoor reg a412kvg

mk1marc

Reaction score
well as the title says ive bought my dream car which is a 1983 mk1 golf 1.5gx 5door and its going to be my first car and no im not one of these teens that buys a classic car and wrecks it:laugh:,right now for some history on it,well i bought in december for £900 with no tax or mot which i thought was a fair price considering a gx is rarer than a campaign gti and since buying it its had a weber carb put on it with a k&n filter and when i bought it it had hotuning coilovers on it and mk2 g60 steel wheels but the wheels have been swapped to my dads mk1 cabriolet tarantula 9spokes which suit it rather well and im currently refurbing some very nice oldskool 7x15" zender sport 5spoke fake split wheels aswell to put on it but the best bit about the car is the period perfect britax sliding vinyl ragtop which has seen better days as all the headlinings torn and it was leaking(which was'nt me),the car also had a slight mishap with the last owner when the bonnet flew up and dented the roof which i have been told will be an easy fix but its running a rather ratty looking primerd bonnet just know which strangely looks good against the meteor grey paintwork and before anyone asks it will get painted as my plan is to keep it as a daily driver that i can take to shows and maybe win a couple of trophys with but ideally id like to find all of its last owners and find out more about my little mk1 like the condition when they bought it and sold it and so on but its a definite keeper(i could'nt live with out it)
i'll get pics up soon

cheers marc

ps: any of its last owners on here?

Never had a mk 1 but had a VR6,I loved it and know the mk 1 & 2 were better cars but the for the VR6 engine the 3 was pap..and the 4 bar the 32,mk 5 back on track.
Get some pics up and lets see the beauty

Yep - that's my old car!

Nice one! I wonder what happened to the P-Slots I put on it?

Also, the sunroof was fine when I sold it - it only let water in under pressure (like a jet wash), never in the rain. Easily (if not cheaply) sorted I imagine.

I wonder how the bonnet latch failed? Anyway, this is what it used to look like:

DSC03523.jpg

DSC03520.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

Cheers!

AndyC

the p-slots were sold by duncan who had it before me and i personally think he was daft to take them of the car but it was his choice and he replaced them with 8x13" ats classic wheels which are cool wheels but i think there too wide especially considering he had 20mm spacers on the front aswell,the roof is probably going to be close to £5-600 to sort but i think its worth it and it was a broken spring in the mechanism that caused the catch to fail and thats been sorted now as it almost done the same when me and my dad were in the car coming home one day,the car looked absolutely gorgeous when you had it and i plan on getting her back to her former glory for sure,thats great to hear you've got the first owners details as it would be nice to hear how they got on with the car when they had it and it lets me know even more of the history of my car aswell,i'll be posting a link to pics of the car aswell so it should be too long now:laugh:

Pics look good. Wow its great you've found a previous owner on here. I used to have a MK 1 cab then sold that for a MK1 sportline cab, loved it to bits and regretted selling it. Love the Mk1's. Enjoy her and enjoy working on her,

And, here are the pics taken on the day I bought it in 2004...

CNV00024.jpg

CNV00023.jpg

CNV00021.jpg

021_18.jpg

020_17.jpg

As you can see, I replaced the wheels, bumpers and chin spoiler, but all she really needed was a good clean. Believe it or not, I picked her up for only £100 with no tax and MOT. She passed the first MOT no problem and cost me very little by way of servicing over the 4 years I had her. Enjoy!

Cheers,
A.

i had a grey gx too about 8 years ago. still remember the reg, tmp 852y.

loved that car.

hi all im back lol

totally forgot i was on this forum till i tried to do a new profile and it said i had one lol,well since i was last on almost 1yr ago ive passed my test and have been driving the little golf since january and have had great fun in it as its nice and light so suits my driving style and its also a very easy car to just drive as it will flatter your driving i find lol.now onto the car itself,its still scruffy but that will be sorted as ive managed to land myself a job at landrover here in perth so will be saving to get all the bodywork sorted out and then a full respray in the original ly7 meteor grey which i still love,also need to get trim clips,splitter and a few other odds and ends for the car but they will all come,yeah the wee gx's are great as you get the practicality of a 5door but with the sportier looks of a gti too so cant fault it at all on looks and well performance hmmmmmmm lets just say i got a surprise at how nippy it was the first time i drove it lol

cheers
marc

Hi Marc welcome back congrats on the job btw.

Make sure you get yourself over to the Scottish events forum for a look - we're having a meet on the 28th April at Krispy Kreme in Edinburgh if you'd like to join us.

The link for the forum is on the bottom of my post.

Thanks Susan x

Thats fantastic seeing your old car again. I have only ever seen one of my old cars. Would be nice to know where my old minted S3 went to.......OY08 XBX if anyone has it on here.

Hey there - just wondering how the car refurbishments are going? Would be great to see ant new pics you have...

(I miss my old car :-( ;-))

A.