Bought an S1

chapstick

Reaction score
After deciding not to change my Cooper S which i have had from new for a new JCW i was on the look out for something different and spotted the S1 for sale. I was initially just going to have a test drive and if i liked it look at getting a new one, as it turned out they offered me a good deal on the 1 owner 17 plate S1 with just under 4k on the clock so i bought that instead.It may be not have oodles of extra's but it has the panoramic sunroof, privacy glass, folding mirrors & sat nav which is good enough for me.
The only issue is a very small shallow sized dent in the passenger side rear quarter, which you can only notice it in certain angles but may get it sorted at some point if it starts to bother me.
Love the performance and how it handles, i just need to get used to it as it's very different to the Cooper S.

Attachments

• 2e1c03a.jpg
    2e1c03a.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 367
  • 2yv5t2a.jpg
    2yv5t2a.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 365
  • w15xdu.jpg
    w15xdu.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 329
Reactions: 45bvtc and ChrisG.
Welcome to audi-sport.net. Nice change for you. Hope you enjoy the car and the forum :)

Welcome along to ASN. Lovely S1.

Also had a few MINI MCS & JCW....find them quite similar to the S1 and how they drive.

I've still got my R53 JCW (modified). The idea was to punt it when i got my S1 but it's not away yet, i still love it and don't want to part with it. I think my 205 will be getting sold before the mini...... would rather not part with that either, but due to the weather and it's lack of use i can't justify keeping it.

Enjoy your new car!

Cheers :smile new:
I had an R56 Cooper then bought the new Cooper S which was an F56 on a 65 plate, I liked Mini's enough to consider getting a JCW but just decided on a change hence the S1 :thumbs up:
My days of modding are way behind me so it will be pretty much left as i bought it tbh and i like the fact that it doesn't look that much different to a regular A1.
One thing the dealer didn't tell me was that it's got the high beam assist so i was wondering why high beam kept switching on and off by itself :whistle2:
One thing that is starting to irritate though me is some brake squeal at low speed ie when crawling along in traffic and having to continually dab the brakes to stop it ....rather annoying as this is the first car I've had that does that.

Cheers :smile new:
I had an R56 Cooper then bought the new Cooper S which was an F56 on a 65 plate, I liked Mini's enough to consider getting a JCW but just decided on a change hence the S1 :thumbs up:
My days of modding are way behind me so it will be pretty much left as i bought it tbh and i like the fact that it doesn't look that much different to a regular A1.
One thing the dealer didn't tell me was that it's got the high beam assist so i was wondering why high beam kept switching on and off by itself :whistle2:
One thing that is starting to irritate though me is some brake squeal at low speed ie when crawling along in traffic and having to continually dab the brakes to stop it ....rather annoying as this is the first car I've had that does that.
The brake squeal is odd. Mine doesn’t do it and I don’t recall anyone talking about it on here.

Mine does the squeal at low speeds in traffic (started about a month ago). I've checked and the pads look ok, it needs a longer run maybe and some heavy braking to see if that improves the situation. If not I will ask the garage to take a look when it's serviced in a few weeks ;)

Mine is the same crawling to the lights. My brake pads are only 10% worn at the min.

I had this on a previous new car as well, my options were new pads (which I did eventually) or put up with the squeals....

I got my s1 in December with 5k miles and am also suffering the same brake squeal! Ive Got it booked in with Audi early March for it to be looked at and fixed

Will be interested to know what they say to you Danielle, when I get the time I might take the wheels off, clean the calipers off and apply some grease to the back of the pads to see if that helps.....

I will post back in here the outcome after it's been to them. That's what I had in mind to do but I thought after owning the car for such little time on such low mileage Audi can sort it and hopefully its covered under warranty!

Reactions: lfcrule1972
Fair plat but mine doesn't bother me that much because when people look I just laugh.

If all else fails just mince them :)

The origins of this noise is indeed strange especially as it only does it at very low speed when your not even braking, the act of dabbing the brake stops it but as soon as you release it's back again.
I pass my local Audi dealer every day so I might pop in tomorrow or Saturday morning and see what they say as i'm of the opinion that a car under a year old and only 4k miles shouldn't making that kind of noise.

Well I had it in at the dealer and the pads & carriers have been replaced under warranty and it's now nice and quiet.....will see how long that lasts.

That's good and thanks for the reply. I'm going to go to Liverpool audi tomorrow as it did only recent have a service from them and it's apparently all fine.

Thank you, I will also post my reply.

This stuff worked wonders for me. Had a bad squeal during low speed manoeuvring and this stuff sorted it. That’s six months in all weathers and still no squeal.
75AA32F0 B361 4522 9CCD 1EF2A19E4C70

Yes, pads and all moving parts / guides in the caliper. Quite messy at first and, after a while, I had to polish the excess off the painted surfaces of the calipers but it’s done the trick.

So my s1 went to Watford Audi today for the brake squeak. They said they couldn’t find a problem and that my brakes are all fine, annoying because it was doing the squeak on my way there so I thought they would pick up on it when road testing it but it must have stopped by the time they looked at it. So all they done was take the brakes apart and give them a clean and hopefully this fixes it.. let’s see!