Bought an A3 :D Need to do away with the Chorus 'cassette only' unit

M

Michael O'Connor

Ok, first post, hello to everyone first off! There's so much useful info on here, knowledgable people and a lot of lovely motors.

So I got this A3. It's a 2006 plate, 1.6 SE model. It's actually my first car :witless: Probably not the best 'first car' to get, fairly more than I thought I'd spend as well. However after spending the last 3 months looking at Fiestas, Clios, Astras, Focus etc, I've just run into so many problems. So many dodgy sellers not disclosing faults, everything being great, test drive and ready to buy, get an inspection first, finds an expensive fault with the car, patchy service histories, the lot. I only got an inspection on one car, but it outlined the fact that sometimes if something is too good to be true, it really is.

I came across this in the local paper. It was a bereavement sale and I've gotta say, for an 11 year old car, it's like new. It was 4k, which in my opinion, despite the age of the car, is a steal, bearing in mind the condition and spec. Sorry about the lack of pictures. I think it's an 8P2... I never even considered an Audi but at that price I thought it would be silly to not give it a punt.

- 15k miles
- Leather seats
- Front fogs
- Perfect bodywork and paint
- Tires hardly used
- 700 miles in the last year
- Full Audi service history
- Garaged all it's life and since the owner passed away too

IMG 7333 copy

Wasn't sure how it would be to drive being an older 1.6, but it does seem to pull nicely. No S3 I'm sure but coming from learning in a 1.1 Fiesta... The difference is night and day. I haven't really put my foot down in it yet, but even at low speeds it's so nice having a 'useable' 1st gear. Even just standing next to it, sitting in it, it just 'feels' and 'looks' like a different class of car in terms of build quality than a Fiesta or an Astra. So I'm very happy with it.

There's a few things I'd like to do it in the next few months, but I'm in no rush as I'm still getting used to driving it really... And I'm pretty out of pocket now (gladly).

- First, slightly sportier alloys, maybe the 5 spoke 17" or 18" 'Ronal' S Line ones. Obviously somewhat limited by the 5x112 PCD but I love the Ronal ones. I'm hoping that considering they are still Audi alloys and technically not aftermarket, my insurance provider won't absolutely rinse my premium out.
- Then lowering springs or coilovers. I'd like to see how a bigger wheel fills the arch first then I can get an idea of how much it needs lowering
- Spacers, maybe, depending on the offset of the new alloys. I'm not interested in making it a boy racer, I know it's a 1.6, but I'd just like to have the ride height, wheels, stance etc look a bit more up to date, smarter, classier.

What I really need right now though, is an aftermarket stereo! The OEM unit only has cassette at the moment. From what I've looked into, it's not quite as easy as just swapping an aftermarket one in... Any help would be appreciated regarding wiring looms etc. All I know right now is the easiest option looks like getting hold of a CANBUS cable - I don't fancy farting around with fuses to get an ignition live wire to the new stereo.

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, first post, hello to everyone first off! There's so much useful info on here, knowledgable people and a lot of lovely motors.

So I got this A3. It's a 2006 plate, 1.6 SE model. It's actually my first car :witless: Probably not the best 'first car' to get, fairly more than I thought I'd spend as well. However after spending the last 3 months looking at Fiestas, Clios, Astras, Focus etc, I've just run into so many problems. So many dodgy sellers not disclosing faults, everything being great, test drive and ready to buy, get an inspection first, finds an expensive fault with the car, patchy service histories, the lot. I only got an inspection on one car, but it outlined the fact that sometimes if something is too good to be true, it really is.

I came across this in the local paper. It was a bereavement sale and I've gotta say, for an 11 year old car, it's like new. It was 4k, which in my opinion, despite the age of the car, is a steal, bearing in mind the condition and spec. Sorry about the lack of pictures. I think it's an 8P2... I never even considered an Audi but at that price I thought it would be silly to not give it a punt.

- 15k miles
- Leather seats
- Front fogs
- Perfect bodywork and paint
- Tires hardly used
- 700 miles in the last year
- Full Audi service history
- Garaged all it's life and since the owner passed away too

View attachment 121763

Wasn't sure how it would be to drive being an older 1.6, but it does seem to pull nicely. No S3 I'm sure but coming from learning in a 1.1 Fiesta... The difference is night and day. I haven't really put my foot down in it yet, but even at low speeds it's so nice having a 'useable' 1st gear. Even just standing next to it, sitting in it, it just 'feels' and 'looks' like a different class of car in terms of build quality than a Fiesta or an Astra. So I'm very happy with it.

There's a few things I'd like to do it in the next few months, but I'm in no rush as I'm still getting used to driving it really... And I'm pretty out of pocket now (gladly).

- First, slightly sportier alloys, maybe the 5 spoke 17" or 18" 'Ronal' S Line ones. Obviously somewhat limited by the 5x112 PCD but I love the Ronal ones. I'm hoping that considering they are still Audi alloys and technically not aftermarket, my insurance provider won't absolutely rinse my premium out.
- Then lowering springs or coilovers. I'd like to see how a bigger wheel fills the arch first then I can get an idea of how much it needs lowering
- Spacers, maybe, depending on the offset of the new alloys. I'm not interested in making it a boy racer, I know it's a 1.6, but I'd just like to have the ride height, wheels, stance etc look a bit more up to date, smarter, classier.

What I really need right now though, is an aftermarket stereo! The OEM unit only has cassette at the moment. From what I've looked into, it's not quite as easy as just swapping an aftermarket one in... Any help would be appreciated regarding wiring looms etc. All I know right now is the easiest option looks like getting hold of a CANBUS cable - I don't fancy farting around with fuses to get an ignition live wire to the new stereo.

Cheers :)
First of all HI MATE in audi world, I'm sure u will enjoy the people here as they are always ready to help ya out.
About rims if you are ok with rumors in car due to low profile tyres you can go till 19", if not better to step out to 17", original ones you can find pretty anywhere, style and fitment depend of ur pocket. If u thinking on rims and spacers, sorry but better get wheels with correct et, in our case should be 56 or 51 (don't remember). But you can go for 45 or 40 to get them just in line with body (most of a4 rims will got it).
Coilovers, again if you want something that isn't Chinese rubbish will cost you over 400 quids.
Standard radio is ok and you can put fake cd changer that actually read the usb sticks, then depend if you got 1 or 2 din original radio you can swap for android unit (possible in both cases but if u got 1din radio u need more parts to do it). But if you prefer put some aftermarket one anyway, you will need wiring and antenna adaptor, surrounding bazel, radio - trim removing kit (fiver on ebay), around 1h of time. Anyway how much do u paying on insurance being your first car? I remember on my fiesta 1.4 was 1.7k (value of car was like 500 pounds so..)
P.S. all vag group rimz will be ok for you (seat,skoda vw, audi)

Thanks man. How do you mean by rumours? Yeah I was thinking either 17s or 18s, I just measured the wheel gap and it's about 55mm. I feel 19s" on an A3 might look a bit too in your face haha. I don't think bigger wheels would actually reduce the wheel gap but at least I'd know how it might look lowered.

Ah I see. Yeah I mean I noticed on other cars, the wheel gap looks a lot less when the wheels are a bit more flush with the body. So a negative offset of 45 or 40 would be enough? I've seen a few Ronal 18s taken off Audi A4s which could be a good shout when I come to doing it :) I'd love to see some pictures of the same model as me with 17s and 18s on.

So definitely coilovers? I've seen a lot of people saying good things about just lowering springs e.g. Eibach and H&R? Good drop amounts from what I've looked into, and most people's opinions seem to say 'ride comfort is good (or better) than the standard springs'. I guess only thing with them is if you think it's too low or still too high, you're stuck with them haha. And I guess if it's a big drop amount, it might be more than the damper actually handles?

Ah I see. Yes I saw something somewhere about tricking the CD changer into playing an aux input. I personally really like the look of the stock radio, it's just the lack of auxilliary and digital connections is irking me. Ideally I'd like a HU that can interface with my iPhone via the USB cable, play songs through it while it charges the phone.

Thanks for the tip on the VAG group ones. I love some of the VW ones too.

Insurance is £1500 with a black box. I was put off by it initially as they track your speed a lot I thought, but on the other hand where I live you can never get the car up to any speed anyway, other than on the odd A road or motorway. And also I really shouldn't be hooning around in my first year of driving anyway, need that 1 year NCD haha. Gonna see what I think of the black box after year and keep that provider or get a new one. My age and job seem to lower the cost a fair bit apparently.

By the way, am I right in thinking that other OEM wheels when declared to insurance provider will make very little to no difference to your premium? Because the car could have been spec'd with them as an extra? Or does it depend entirely on the insurance provider?

Mike

Hi mate, look on eBay for connects 2 for aux input. I fitted one into my 55plate A3 which was single din. Took 10 mins to install and cost was about £40-50 I think. Straight forward plug and play with simple instructions on how to use it.

As for wheels, if you are going for genuine Audi wheels then insurance won't matter as I doubt they specify which wheels came on the car. (I wouldn't think anyway).

Your insurance will no doubt rise again with the fitting of springs or coil overs. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man. How do you mean by rumours? Yeah I was thinking either 17s or 18s, I just measured the wheel gap and it's about 55mm. I feel 19s" on an A3 might look a bit too in your face haha. I don't think bigger wheels would actually reduce the wheel gap but at least I'd know how it might look lowered.

Ah I see. Yeah I mean I noticed on other cars, the wheel gap looks a lot less when the wheels are a bit more flush with the body. So a negative offset of 45 or 40 would be enough? I've seen a few Ronal 18s taken off Audi A4s which could be a good shout when I come to doing it :) I'd love to see some pictures of the same model as me with 17s and 18s on.

So definitely coilovers? I've seen a lot of people saying good things about just lowering springs e.g. Eibach and H&R? Good drop amounts from what I've looked into, and most people's opinions seem to say 'ride comfort is good (or better) than the standard springs'. I guess only thing with them is if you think it's too low or still too high, you're stuck with them haha. And I guess if it's a big drop amount, it might be more than the damper actually handles?

Ah I see. Yes I saw something somewhere about tricking the CD changer into playing an aux input. I personally really like the look of the stock radio, it's just the lack of auxilliary and digital connections is irking me. Ideally I'd like a HU that can interface with my iPhone via the USB cable, play songs through it while it charges the phone.

Thanks for the tip on the VAG group ones. I love some of the VW ones too.

Insurance is £1500 with a black box. I was put off by it initially as they track your speed a lot I thought, but on the other hand where I live you can never get the car up to any speed anyway, other than on the odd A road or motorway. And also I really shouldn't be hooning around in my first year of driving anyway, need that 1 year NCD haha. Gonna see what I think of the black box after year and keep that provider or get a new one. My age and job seem to lower the cost a fair bit apparently.

By the way, am I right in thinking that other OEM wheels when declared to insurance provider will make very little to no difference to your premium? Because the car could have been spec'd with them as an extra? Or does it depend entirely on the insurance provider?

Mike

by rumours i mean the noise coming from tyre rolling on asphalt, it's pretty annoying for me, just waiting till I finish my turbo then I will put some sound silent mats in doors. less tyre will make it more noisy. For exact et you can check on inside of your rim as well on the one you wish to take, if you taking them locally, just take 1 of yours off ant put the one you wanna to check clearances. Or with all data use some rim calculator like this here coilovers are best way to go as if you change wheels etc you can setup them to your needs, but spring will do as well, still check the make of them, people here in majority in case of springs only they use blistein shock absorbers on lowering springs (dunno the make of springs).

Hi mate, look on eBay for connects 2 for aux input. I fitted one into my 55plate A3 which was single din. Took 10 mins to install and cost was about £40-50 I think. Straight forward plug and play with simple instructions on how to use it.

As for wheels, if you are going for genuine Audi wheels then insurance won't matter as I doubt they specify which wheels came on the car. (I wouldn't think anyway).

Your insurance will no doubt rise again with the fitting of springs or coil overs. Hope this helps.

Plz not connect2, ****** customer service and crappy stuff they got (at least on mine usb one). <- Personal experience.

Worked perfect for me mate, there are many other similar options now though I suppose.

Cheers for the replies guys.

I was looking at the Connects2 AUX one, although I also noticed they do one to an iPhone 5 lightning, might consider that as I also saw that Spec.Dock do an ashtray dock that charges the iphone and plays music from it too. Ideally what I want really, something that is discrete and out of sight, keeps with the stock dash look etc.

Good news about the OEM wheels as well. I mean I would declare it with the insurance company, as I reckon in any case of a claim, someone might notice and say 'they don't come standard on the model you have' and potentially have a problem with any claim regarding the alloys.

by rumours i mean the noise coming from tyre rolling on asphalt, it's pretty annoying for me, just waiting till I finish my turbo then I will put some sound silent mats in doors. less tyre will make it more noisy. For exact et you can check on inside of your rim as well on the one you wish to take, if you taking them locally, just take 1 of yours off ant put the one you wanna to check clearances. Or with all data use some rim calculator like this here coilovers are best way to go as if you change wheels etc you can setup them to your needs, but spring will do as well, still check the make of them, people here in majority in case of springs only they use blistein shock absorbers on lowering springs (dunno the make of springs).

Plz not connect2, ****** customer service and crappy stuff they got (at least on mine usb one). <- Personal experience.

Thanks for the wheel calculator mate. Had a quick play around based on some of the A3 and A4 Ronal alloy specs. IIRC the A4 ones said they would be around 16mm closer to the struts at the back, I'll have to measure the original alloys and see how much room is at the back. Also the A4 ones are 8J compared to my 6.5J ones, so I need to measure how much I'd be able to get away with before they actually go past being flush with the body.

Is it guaranteed that a slimmer tire will make a lot of road noise?

Cheers for the replies guys.

I was looking at the Connects2 AUX one, although I also noticed they do one to an iPhone 5 lightning, might consider that as I also saw that Spec.Dock do an ashtray dock that charges the iphone and plays music from it too. Ideally what I want really, something that is discrete and out of sight, keeps with the stock dash look etc.

Good news about the OEM wheels as well. I mean I would declare it with the insurance company, as I reckon in any case of a claim, someone might notice and say 'they don't come standard on the model you have' and potentially have a problem with any claim regarding the alloys.

Thanks for the wheel calculator mate. Had a quick play around based on some of the A3 and A4 Ronal alloy specs. IIRC the A4 ones said they would be around 16mm closer to the struts at the back, I'll have to measure the original alloys and see how much room is at the back. Also the A4 ones are 8J compared to my 6.5J ones, so I need to measure how much I'd be able to get away with before they actually go past being flush with the body.

Is it guaranteed that a slimmer tire will make a lot of road noise?
slimmer you mean thinner ratio eg. 225/45/17 is 45, thinner is less sound deadening by tyre mean more noise (also watch when buying tyre that noise ratio is different) on tyres like i written was between 61-71dB

slimmer you mean thinner ratio eg. 225/45/17 is 45, thinner is less sound deadening by tyre mean more noise (also watch when buying tyre that noise ratio is different) on tyres like i written was between 61-71dB

I guess, I don't know so much about tires. I mean 'less' as in how much there is from the outside of the rim to the edge of the tire. The tires that are on it right now are pretty big, if I got different alloys and lower profile tires, I think the arch gap would be even bigger haha.

I do know that the tires that are on there right now are 205/45/16

Not really, measuremets are e.g. 205/45/16 that mean: tyre width 205mm, height is 45% of width (around 100mm) inner diameter of tyre or if u prefer rim size that going into is 16inches. So if you get 225/45/17 you will get less gap on arches

Ah ok I get you now. I'm going to wait on the alloys a bit. Saw a picture on here of the same model as mine, lowered with RS4 reps on, now I'm torn between RS6 and RS4 alloys. I prefer the RS6 ones as they look a little more subtle, the RS4 ones quite obviously look like they're not meant to be on that model. But look dope nonetheless!

Hi welcome to the forum mate!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-GC1...%3A64aebcc115b0a605d8c26e89fffe51e8%7Ciid%3A1

Check this out, not the most hi-tech piece of kit but it does the job, i had one back in the day for my mk4 golf. Cassette tape goes in and then the 3.5mm jack can go into your mobile. Have a look on eBay or something, just search "Casette AUX" You can also find them in most shops like tesco

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

No offence but looking at the picture and the car being pristine condition for its year it seems like such a crying shame to 'chav' it up for what is essentially a low powered car that looks classy in its current form....

Reactions: maxpayne
No offence but looking at the picture and the car being pristine condition for its year it seems like such a crying shame to 'chav' it up for what is essentially a low powered car that looks classy in its current form....

I don't really see how another set of OEM alloys 'chav' a car up. Don't get it twisted, if I wanted a chavvy car or one to chav up, I'd have bought a Clio or a Fiesta, not an Audi.

The fact it's low powered makes no difference really... You do realise I live in London, in a town, not on a racetrack, right? I'm not trying to drop weight off the car, improve it's power or it's performance. That would make **** all difference anyway because of the type of roads I drive on daily. I just like the look of the Ronal 5 spoke alloys that come on some of the newer A3s, is all :)

Hi welcome to the forum mate!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-GC17041-In-Car-Audio-Tape-Cassette-To-Jack-AUX-For-iPod-MP3-adapter-/272388467869?hash=item3f6b9e2c9d:g:rbIAAOSwPCVX5mDg&_trkparms=pageci%3Afd3689d8-1fde-11e7-8445-74dbd180d381%7Cparentrq%3A64aebcc115b0a605d8c26e89fffe51e8%7Ciid%3A1

Check this out, not the most hi-tech piece of kit but it does the job, i had one back in the day for my mk4 golf. Cassette tape goes in and then the 3.5mm jack can go into your mobile. Have a look on eBay or something, just search "Casette AUX" You can also find them in most shops like tesco

Thanks man, I actually got one of those for now. It's OK, get's a bit of interference through the cable and is a bit noisy but does the job alright. I'd just like an out of sight solution really, I don't want something sticking out of the stereo that suggests I've got an iPod or something worth stealing laying around in the car somewhere

I don't really see how another set of OEM alloys 'chav' a car up. Don't get it twisted, if I wanted a chavvy car or one to chav up, I'd have bought a Clio or a Fiesta, not an Audi.

The fact it's low powered makes no difference really... You do realise I live in London, in a town, not on a racetrack, right? I'm not trying to drop weight off the car, improve it's power or it's performance. That would make **** all difference anyway because of the type of roads I drive on daily. I just like the look of the Ronal 5 spoke alloys that come on some of the newer A3s, is all :)

The done up A3 is the new Clio or the Fiesta is the point I'm making.... irrespective of where you live, I live in Birmingham chavvy vag group cars litter the road. As I said, no offence but keeping the car looking classy and understated is a good thing rather than making it look like something with more than 103 bhp, your choice it's a free world seems a shame

Jim, you living nearly me then xD (Coventry). However, ricers are everywhere. And everybody got their sense of "cool" car.
Like JDM that actually you got cars that seem to be 1000bhp meanwhile they are mechanically stock and got aftermarket bumpers, interior etc.. then you got sleepers, or rat style or classy = german style.

Jim, you living nearly me then xD (Coventry). However, ricers are everywhere. And everybody got their sense of "cool" car.
Like JDM that actually you got cars that seem to be 1000bhp meanwhile they are mechanically stock and got aftermarket bumpers, interior etc.. then you got sleepers, or rat style or classy = german style.

The point I'm making - stock 1.6 A3 8V 103 will be rinsed by Fiesta eco boosts 1.0 etc.. what's the point on sticking on oversized alloys like your ready when it will accelerate to 60 in over 11 seconds. Keeping it looking original at that age and classy is a good thing, not stepping out and cringing thinking dang I lost to some ole Fiesta.

Point being I had a 2.0 tdci MK3 161 bhp Focus estate - nothing changed. Guy in an A Class AMG sport A class next next to me shades on, thought he'd rinse me, nope he didn't left him in my dust - he had a 1.8 136bhp engine - no chance.

Don't be that guy also that they think haha he's out massive alloys and coil overs on a boggo car.

As I said, it's a lovely original good condition car you have found don't ruin it, it will actually appreciate in value

Ah Cov... once you enter your not getting out the ring has you trapped for life

Reactions: Marek196c
Put some nice OEM Audi alloys on her 17s or 18s, lower her 30mm-40mm or get coilovers but i don't like the completely slammed look. Get her polished up, tint the rear windows, maybe black front grill and she will look very smart and tidy but not too over the top max power style lol

The done up A3 is the new Clio or the Fiesta is the point I'm making.... irrespective of where you live, I live in Birmingham chavvy vag group cars litter the road. As I said, no offence but keeping the car looking classy and understated is a good thing rather than making it look like something with more than 103 bhp, your choice it's a free world seems a shame

I just think you're slightly misinterpreting my reasons for wanting to put a different alloy on the car, and I feel from your first comment that you're being a bit presumptuous regarding the reasons for wanting to put another alloy on the car. I'm not trying to make it look more sporty or like an S3. I just prefer the 5 spoke Ronal alloys, the ones that came on the newer A3. Still pretty subtle and understated in my opinion, not a particularly sporty looking alloy. I'm not interested in slamming the car, changing the grills or bumpers, tinting the windows etc.

The reason I bought it in the first place is because it looks classy. I actually looked at the same year Fiesta STs but didn't like them much in person, maybe cool for a 17 year old but not so fitting for a 25 year old teacher haha. The newer fiestas and focus are nice but were a bit out of my budget.

The point I'm making - stock 1.6 A3 8V 103 will be rinsed by Fiesta eco boosts 1.0 etc.. what's the point on sticking on oversized alloys like your ready when it will accelerate to 60 in over 11 seconds. Keeping it looking original at that age and classy is a good thing, not stepping out and cringing thinking dang I lost to some ole Fiesta.

Point being I had a 2.0 tdci MK3 161 bhp Focus estate - nothing changed. Guy in an A Class AMG sport A class next next to me shades on, thought he'd rinse me, nope he didn't left him in my dust - he had a 1.8 136bhp engine - no chance.

Don't be that guy also that they think haha he's out massive alloys and coil overs on a boggo car.

As I said, it's a lovely original good condition car you have found don't ruin it, it will actually appreciate in value

I don't think a 17 inch alloy is exactly oversized. As for being rinsed by other cars, that doesn't bother me, I'd never get into that in the first place with anyone. I really don't care for the ego of other drivers and have nothing to prove. Even if I'd bought an S3, I still wouldn't give a monkeys about trying to prove anything.

I wouldn't get coilovers mainly because I'm not going to be taking the car on a track, it would be pointless. I was just thinking lowering springs because I personally think the car just sits a bit too high. Nothing to do with trying to slam it, I'm really not about that look :)

Put some nice OEM Audi alloys on her 17s or 18s, lower her 30mm-40mm or get coilovers but i don't like the completely slammed look. Get her polished up, tint the rear windows, maybe black front grill and she will look very smart and tidy but not too over the top max power style lol

I'd like to put some subtle 17s on it one day, I'm not in a rush though. The paint and detailing is something I'm really into though, working on that at the moment. The car has been kept in great condition but I can feel the finish is a bit rough, orange peel-ish, so needs some light clay barring I think. No offence but I don't want to get tints on it, it's not really the look I'd want to go for. I personally love the chrome grill on the front as it is. The black grills look great on slightly darker cars or ones that have black alloys, something for the black grille to colour code to, but not on a silver A3 in my opinion,

I just think you're slightly misinterpreting my reasons for wanting to put a different alloy on the car, and I feel from your first comment that you're being a bit presumptuous regarding the reasons for wanting to put another alloy on the car. I'm not trying to make it look more sporty or like an S3. I just prefer the 5 spoke Ronal alloys, the ones that came on the newer A3. Still pretty subtle and understated in my opinion, not a particularly sporty looking alloy. I'm not interested in slamming the car, changing the grills or bumpers, tinting the windows etc.

The reason I bought it in the first place is because it looks classy. I actually looked at the same year Fiesta STs but didn't like them much in person, maybe cool for a 17 year old but not so fitting for a 25 year old teacher haha. The newer fiestas and focus are nice but were a bit out of my budget.
Leave fiesta alone, they really good and cheap cars to buy, and new parts are cheaper than scrap iron on dismantles. I ve got 1.4 fiesta V (53 plate) and was stunning, man I was driving it from cov. to gatwick and back, Chelmsford (there I bought my audi xD) with no problem at all, I've got it like 1 year, mods done: only audio and blacked 3rd stop, replaced starter motor and thats all, always start on tick.
Anyway don't mean because you are a teacher you need some audi, I got it and I'm (maybe proudly) warehouse op. (yes, cuz I'm polish -> good only to be warehouse op. xD).
Jim, I'm spinnin' round round, spinnin' round round... If my A3 was rwd I would slide round round...
About lowering... don't recommend I got on my original susp problems on bumps or getting on my drive without scratching my bumper lip... xD
Anyway you always can get some newer models alloys, I got from new leon fr, ronals 17".

It was just most of the ones I looked at, if there wasn't something wrong with it that suggested it had been ragged and not looked after, e.g. dings in bumpers and wings, rusty holes, alloys kerbed all over the place, it was something else the driver wasn't disclosing, air con not working, either needed recharging or there was a leak in the condenser, the latter a more expensive problem I'm not willing to take a gamble on. I just found there was very little middle ground, it was either a more shall we say 'modest' model of Fiesta that had been owned by an old person, or it was a Climate or ST model that had been owned by a young person and not really been looked after, or had missing/ no service history or something suspect like that.

Let's just say I'm not cool enough for a sporty Fiesta haha. In my head I'm cool enough, but all my mates who saw the Fiestas then the Audi said the Audi 'suited' me more. And to be honest once I saw the Audi, it was just in better condition and more solidly built, better safety features etc.

I wouldn't mind the Ronal 17s, they're nice. In a few months maybe :) I'd like to keep it OEM just to keep the old insurance providers from rinsing my prem :)

tbh the fiestas are little workhorses and un-appreciated I ve got mine with no rust, some minor marks (hey it's not new car) and some curbs on alloys (on my actual ones done actually 5 curbs but depend of where you driving, and I park my car often on half walkway).
However the rims, they aren't bad and not too shiny.