Bought a White 2.0tdi A3 y'day - 5 minutes of owning & the turbo blew - no warranty

creatz

Reaction score
So a week after spinning my beloved Ibiza TDI into a ditch, I found this 53 reg A3 2.0TDI s-line rep, resprayed in Ibis white. Owned by a hairdresser, who is my mechanic's cousin, and at a great price, thought it'd be alright to purchase a pre-modified car. Had my mechanic check it out, with the high mileage there were a few niggles here & there but nothing major, so went ahead and bought it. Stopped off at Tescos & topped it up with fuel, thought I'd see what it can do, put my foot down and 'pop' a **** load of white smoke and lost power. Turned the engine off and had it recovered within 10 minutes, turbo has gone & filled with oil but fingers crossed the engine is alright!
Seller says it's completely my liability in terms of the law - even though I'd literally only owned the car for 5 minutes, so will have to cough up the costs myself. Just my luck! Being only 19, and having crashed my car last week & not going through insurance (for obvious reasons) this is the last thing I needed but hey life goes on.

So, getting a new turbo fitted ASAP as I'm currently driving a beautiful Skoda estate around with a mere 269,000 miles on the clock. Hopefully my guy can work his magic and the engine is alright - then back on the roads.

Already got a few mods lined up, but most of it is already done - at the moment here are the current mods:

Rs4 alloy wheels, Facelift S-line front bumper & grill, full S-line interior (including half leather seats, steering wheel, gear knob, arm rest etc), Remapped (not sure which or what bhp to), resprayed in Ibis white, and probably a few other bits I've missed.

This is what I'm planning to do:

Have ordered a white 2007 S3 rear bumper, planning on ordering the newer MY11 rear lights & fitting new turbo.

Have only got this photo as of yet

The ditched Ibiza

It will be missed, tied a sledge to it haha

and what I'm currently driving...

Wounder think i saw the a3 on ebay for sale looks liek same one

I'm sorry to hear all the crap you're having, but it's a lovely looking car. I hope you get it sorted soon.

On a completely unrelated issue and I don't mean this to sound bad, but it's nice to see someone your age with a decent grasp of the English language. There have been too many younger people on here lately that write posts like 12 year olds text messages.

Geez, I sound like an old fart don't I!?

Good luck getting it fixed, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Reactions: Sevv and Ash187
and declare the faceclift to the insurance
nice looking car tho

nice looking car tho
insurance companies wouldn't touch me at 19 when I had my a3 mapped, in the end I got it removed, wondering how high OPs insurance must be for all them mods!

my daughters (22) 4 years no claims etc

i was gona do face lift 800 more if i went ahead and did it

left it standard got her a 2006 s-line and it only went up £55

nice looking car tho

insurance companies wouldn't touch me at 19 when I had my a3 mapped, in the end I got it removed, wondering how high OPs insurance must be for all them mods!

Mods aren't too bad with my insurance (elephant), on my 3rd year now - still, I've spent about £8000 in the last 3 years on insurance alone..

Reactions: sliced
I'm sorry to hear all the crap you're having, but it's a lovely looking car. I hope you get it sorted soon.

On a completely unrelated issue and I don't mean this to sound bad, but it's nice to see someone your age with a decent grasp of the English language. There have been too many younger people on here lately that write posts like 12 year olds text messages.

I guess most people are just too lazy to type properly as it's not exactly rocket science, but thanks!

How did you ditch your Ibiza on such a straight road?

Reactions: JudderMan
midland turbos are great to recon your turbo give them a ring my mates garage use them all the time probs looking at 300 ish to do it

So how did you find the A3 compared to the Ibiza then Creatz ?

I have just gone the same way, 53 plate Ibiza TDI Sport 130 to an 57 plate A3 TDI Sport 140..

I loved the Ibiza, such a fun little car, but found it a bit hash on the suspension, and uncomfortable to ride in as I got older ;-)

The A3 is a much more refined ride, although I do miss the Ibiza for its go and fun factor.

Hope you get everything sorted soon..

Sorry to hear about te Ibiza!

A3 looks lovely and again sorry to head about the turbo.

I'm 23 with Adrian flux all mods declared (coilovers, window tints, MY11 rear lights, s line front bumper and grill, RS6 alloys painted anthracite, DTUK chip 12k miles) and pay £410 fully comp. They cover mods for free providing it doesn't give more power.

Sorry to hear about te Ibiza!

A3 looks lovely and again sorry to head about the turbo.

I'm 23 with Adrian flux all mods declared (coilovers, window tints, MY11 rear lights, s line front bumper and grill, RS6 alloys painted anthracite, DTUK chip 12k miles) and pay £410 fully comp. They cover mods for free providing it doesn't give more power.

Sorry, what?! My insurance is more than double that and I'm 24! It's due to drop to about £700 when I renew but still, how is yours so cheap? Also didn't realise you had to declare newer rear lights and window tints?

I have 5 years no claims bonus and according to theft rates I live in a relatively low risk postcode zone. (Although neighbours had the BMW 5 series pinched last year). I also pay it in one lump sum which avoids interest fees etc.
Last year it was £390 but it went up this year. They said everyone's went up. No other insurance company can touch there price so I had to accept the slight rise in premium.

I think you should go to Ibiza for a week and forget about your car troubles

Reactions: creatz
How did you ditch your Ibiza on such a straight road?

it was just around a sharp corner, spun the car that's why it's facing the other way - the day after I drove round the same corner and there was another car in the same ditch

So how did you find the A3 compared to the Ibiza then Creatz ?

I have just gone the same way, 53 plate Ibiza TDI Sport 130 to an 57 plate A3 TDI Sport 140..

I loved the Ibiza, such a fun little car, but found it a bit hash on the suspension, and uncomfortable to ride in as I got older ;-)

The A3 is a much more refined ride, although I do miss the Ibiza for its go and fun factor.

Hope you get everything sorted soon..

Yeah as you said, much more refined! New job requires me to commute 95 miles every day, harsh suspension on the Ibiza really wasn't doing it for me! It was my 4th Ibiza so thought enough was enough haha

i feel your pain mate i got a s3 at the beginning of the month and 5 days later the engine is a good as dead ! metallic swarf through the oil galleries from fuel pump failure ! but people say about insurance being high im 21 been driving 3 years and my s3 is standard just told them about the factory options with the big recaro cs buckets and its only £750 a year ...

Good news! New turbo has been fitted & the engine seems to be alright, mechanics gonna give it a day to make sure & fix a few other little bits that need doing, but hopefully I should be on the road come tuesday or wednesday. :rockwoot:

Reactions: Dave4ku and sliced
hmmm like to drive a bit fast creatz eh :p

ha my insurance is nearly 1200 for the year from last when was 24, 7 years no claims but 6 points car meant to be garaged nightly 2 and i am not declaring mods cus i fear it!

Drove past yet another car in the same ditch this morning! That's 3 in a week, awful corner

can you take a photo of the roads corner, i have seen too many cars crashing on straight roads its a bit odd.
Also very unlucky, how come you are liable for breaking your turbo?

can you take a photo of the roads corner, i have seen too many cars crashing on straight roads its a bit odd.
Also very unlucky, how come you are liable for breaking your turbo?

I took this photo this morning of this Volvo in the ditch, was coming round the other way. There's a Ford focus in the ditch just to the left of the < < arrows which would have been travelling in the other direction. I ended up on the right hand side of this photo, directly opposite the Volvo. Even today going 25mph, the road was wet and I could feel my back end slip slightly.

I'm liable because it was a private sale, so 'sold as seen' pretty much, was working fine when I bought it and signed the paperwork, just sheer coincidence it went pop 5 minutes afterwards.

Sold as seen only works if, and I say if, you dont ask any questions that are avoided.

So if they know there's a fault, you specifically ask, they lie to hide, sold as seen will not cover them, thats the law.

K

Sold as seen only works if, and I say if, you dont ask any questions that are avoided.

So if they know there's a fault, you specifically ask, they lie to hide, sold as seen will not cover them, thats the law.

K

Hard to enforce against someone who is not selling as part of a business and it's not obvious damage like rust. Even if they gave a sweeping statement that the car is fine - there is no recourse for them to sort out any issues that occur afterwards.

Perhaps it would have been worth paying AA/RAC to check the car as they may have covered you for this sort of fault. Then again they may not have found the issue either.

that sucks man, your audi looks nice thou, and that road looks deceiving no wonder there's many accidents there.
you have had a lucky escape i think.

hmmm like to drive a bit fast creatz eh :p

ha my insurance is nearly 1200 for the year from last when was 24, 7 years no claims but 6 points car meant to be garaged nightly 2 and i am not declaring mods cus i fear it!

i wouldnt be saying that on a public forum

Reactions: @udi A3

Not at all. bez101 is a good example e.g. 'tho' 'gonna' Don't skools exist enni-more?

Not at all. bez101 is a good example e.g. 'tho' 'gonna' Don't skools exist enni-more?

all depends on what im useing
if phone its like that.
if laptop its normal
but why let it bother you haw people type ?

Hard to enforce against someone who is not selling as part of a business and it's not obvious damage like rust. Even if they gave a sweeping statement that the car is fine - there is no recourse for them to sort out any issues that occur afterwards.

Perhaps it would have been worth paying AA/RAC to check the car as they may have covered you for this sort of fault. Then again they may not have found the issue either.

Yeah my mechanic checked it all over and he even gave the thumbs up & I've got a lot of trust in him, so the owner definitely didn't know that there was something up. (The owner was also a female hairdresser is that makes any difference)

So the new turbo blew because the was a kink in an oil pipe or something, so had to have a new one fitted. Finally got her home today, here she is