Bought a dead s3 8p? :(

Ollytindall

Reaction score
Hi I bought a s3 8p1 just over a month ago from a small(very dodgy) dealership and I’m worried it may be a lost cause.

has anyone here had any experience with the p0011 engine code? The diagnostics said that the camshaft position timing was over advanced and something to do with no connection? So I put a new camshaft position sensor on and cleared the code, no change. Before I changed the sensor the car would cut out if I reved highly idle or driving. The car now won’t Rev past 6k revs at idle as it will let out about 6 pops and bangs bounce to 4K revs then back to 6k quickly.
The car has apparently been remapped however I have no proof and it does not feel that quick, however the popping exhaust(only when driving smoothly in higher gears) and 18 average mpg makes me believe it is. Could the car have a **** remap which is causing all these problems?

If you live anywhere near the Midlands, get it booked into RTech for diagnosis and fix assuming the garage you bought it from will not cooperate.

Can you not return it to the garage and be done with it?

Timing issues, pops and bangs, poor performance could be the valves and pistons have met on one or more cylinders. The S3 has variable timing with a chain and adjuster mechanism connecting the intake and exhaust cams. Problems with the belt, chain, adjuster or it's mechanism/ actuator could all cause issues. I would do a compression test to see if the timing has slipped enough to bend a valve. In the mean time I wouldn't drive it. I take it you can't take it back to the dodgy garage.

Read up on consumer law and make sure you know your rights.
I had to reject a used car a few years ago, and from memory i think that any mechanical issues that present themselves within 3 months are assumed to be present at the point of sale, and the dealer is legally obliged to fix/replace the car.
If the dealer is playing hard ball, you need to declare the car off the road, stop using it and submit a claim against them using the 'Small claims court' application online. At this point they know you are serious, but you need to have all details of any correspondence about the issues (email is best here as it proves what's been said).
The dealer may be prepared to meet you in court so have all your info in a clear order and ready to hand to a judge.
I my case, the dealer contacted me to settle out of court and had to arrange collection of the car (at their expense) and refund me the cost of the car, expenses (I had to buy parts for the car plus an MOT to prove the car was unroadworthy) and the costs of applying for Small claims action. By being idiots about it all they ended up spending an extra £600 to get the car back, and then they had to fix it and put a new MOT on it before listing it for sale again at an inflated price that nobody wanted to buy it for.

Don't spend a fortune on it, get the dealer to fix it or reject it.

Reactions: ch1z64 and samuelh_888
Read up on consumer law and make sure you know your rights.
I had to reject a used car a few years ago, and from memory i think that any mechanical issues that present themselves within 3 months are assumed to be present at the point of sale, and the dealer is legally obliged to fix/replace the car.
If the dealer is playing hard ball, you need to declare the car off the road, stop using it and submit a claim against them using the 'Small claims court' application online. At this point they know you are serious, but you need to have all details of any correspondence about the issues (email is best here as it proves what's been said).
The dealer may be prepared to meet you in court so have all your info in a clear order and ready to hand to a judge.
I my case, the dealer contacted me to settle out of court and had to arrange collection of the car (at their expense) and refund me the cost of the car, expenses (I had to buy parts for the car plus an MOT to prove the car was unroadworthy) and the costs of applying for Small claims action. By being idiots about it all they ended up spending an extra £600 to get the car back, and then they had to fix it and put a new MOT on it before listing it for sale again at an inflated price that nobody wanted to buy it for.

Don't spend a fortune on it, get the dealer to fix it or reject it.
Never a truer post posted , i went through small claims in Scotland be it a Private seller and lost the Claim but the Judge did say if it had been a Trader the judgement would have went in my favour .

Reactions: Daveyonthemove