1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bose system is awful.. help please?

Onelastrequest Sep 7, 2018

1. Onelastrequest

Onelastrequest New Member

Hello there, i Have a 54 plate A3 sport with the horrible Bose system in it. It still has the original concert radio/cd unit in, which I’m looking to upgrade to an aftermarket head unit. Here’s where I’m suffering a little...

Currently you can only really hear anything out of the speakers by the windscreen - the front and rear door ones work but they are beyond pathetic. This makes the whole sound of the radio horrendous to listen to, other than talking. Music just sounds... *****. I don’t know much about wiring/speakers etc, so I took it to an audio shop near me today to ask for advice/quote. Now he said that the problem is basically the Bose system amp(?) being a terrible set up. However completely ripping out the Bose system and installing a decent head unit, speakers etc is a big **** job and looking at around £1000 with fitting. Not really worthwhile I’m sure you’ll agree.

His cheaper alternative would be to put a small sub in the boot to give bass which would atleast help with giving a more suitable ‘all round’ sound. But again, looking at the cost of the HU, sub, fitting etc (including the steering wheel kit) it’s still a rather meaty £450ish. Ouch.

Anyone else been in this boat? Are there alternatives that are financially suitable/worthwhile? Would a new HU help manipulate the sound etc? E I really don’t want to have to put up with the terrible sound, but also can’t really justify/afford over £400 right now. If anyone can help I will love you forever! Thanks.

leonwilliams likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. leonwilliams

leonwilliams Active Member

Where you based mate ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. leonwilliams

Just checked too far for me. I have a 2011a3 sportback none bose. But has the amp and sub in boot I replaced head unit with pumkin android. Then added amp and extra sub in boot still using existing amp and sub. And all original speaker's. Total cost £400 roughly and to be honest it's sounds great. I'm old school from days of crossovers. Teeters etc etc bass stays inside car.

My mids and tops controlled via head unit. all depends what you want from system. Hope this helps if you was closer I would have come to you so you could see and hear.

5. Onelastrequest

Yeah I’m in Torbay Devon.

Not really looking for anything major, like you have I’m probably going to keep the original speakers as it seems like a massive ball ache changing them and from what I’ve been told, the Bose amp would negate any affect from different ones anyway. Just want an all round sound really rather than everything coming from out the bottom of the windscreen

Looks like il have to go the extra boot sub way, bite the bullet and spend £450. Unless anyone knows of any mods to the current amp/set up to get a better all round sound ‍♂️

6. Onelastrequest

Thankyou for the reply by the way!

7. leonwilliams

Yeah I was thinking of ripping it all out. But the subs is double wired something to do with the amp. So I just left normal speakers In. Jbl12" and amp was £30 wireing got off a mate spent couple hours running it all. Had to run power cable under a.c.. But had to remove battery and find a way through. Then just ran that through car to boot. Earthed inside boot. You just need a limited amount of skills mate. Head unit if android should sort out any speaker sound issues. There's a few guys on this site with various ideas that should help you out.

8. Onelastrequest

I have literally no understanding of the wiring etc, wouldn’t even contemplate doing it myself haha.

Say I went to halfrauds and got them to replace the headunit with something semi-decent.. would the settings from the headunit make it possible to atleast play around with more settings to get a better overall sound, or would the amp/speakers override that? Failing that, think I’m going to have to get a supplementary amp and sub for the boot (from what I’ve read can’t hook it up to the Bose amp)

Spent so much time trying to find a solution, but everyone talks in such technical terms, it’s really hard to follow for a complete novice!

9. leonwilliams

I would suggest if you've not already tried. Google issues with bose system. That should fetch up some information to help you mate.

10. ab1702

ab1702 Active Member

If it’s just sound quality that you’re after then I’d just concentrate on getting your current system fixed. I’ve got Bose in my a3 and it’s decent. If yours is as bad as you say then there must be a fault somewhere so I’d personally concentrate on just getting that fixed first.

It sounds like the audio shop you went to just wanted to sell you a new system rather than potentially fixing your current bose system

11. Onelastrequest

Googled issues with Bose system - all come up with that it’s **** and people have replaced the system.

Ab1702 - this is what I’m thinking, with the concert radio there aren’t a lot of adjustments available (changing the bass setting etc don’t make much difference). So I’m thinking about just changing the head unit to something with more options, see if I can fine tune it to something half decent. Then if that doesn’t work, add an extra amp & sub to equal out the sound a bit better.

Seems a bit silly spending over £500 on a 14yr old car that’s only worth £2500, so if I can sort something somewhat suitable for a couple of hundred quid, that would be alright until I can get a newer Audi in the next year or two.

Thanks again for the replies!

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Calasp

Calasp Member

Is this not why Audi now bang and o
    Systems in them????

My A4 as a boss system and it’s pretty good to be fair