Bose or not? mystery

george013

Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought my S3 and have been trying to determine if it has Bose speakers or not. I am missing the sub (past owner taken out is my thinking) and I read a thread that the HU can be put into a Bose mode, so I was then thinking "standard system". But last night I discovered I have a Bose amplifier on the other side of the boot. My question is...Do all systems have the Bose amp? Or does this mean it has Bose speakers and I should find a sub to replace the missing one? (The cable for the sub is present just no box)

Cheers

Sorry if this is a re-done thread but I can't seem to find must on identification short of removing my door trims (not wanting that)

Do the door speakers have Bose written on them?

Do the door speakers have Bose written on them?

Not all Bose setups had the logo on the speaker grilles. Mine doesn't!

If you have the Bose amp in the back then yes it is a Bose system.
I would check the front speakers to make sure they have not been swapped for aftermarket items, might have been messed with if the sub is missing.

is it the concert head unit in yours? It can be put into Bose mode with VCDS, that makes all 4 outputs line outs (turns off internal amp) and also let's the Bose amp handle the equalizing. Gives you the Bose startup logo too!

Yeah its the concert! Thanks heaps.. I found a sub in Germany that works out pretty cheap considering its coming to Australia!!! It is in Bose mode, but wasn't sure as things a missing..Has great sound just no bass due to lack of sub..Can I switch it into non-Bose mode without damaging anything to get some bass until I get a sub unit?

Ok, with Bose equipped cars, the Bose logo maybe a late model or facelift model feature, both prefacelift S3s I had did not have it on the door cards. When you flick your stereo on from the dash, the display will show 'BOSE' before showing the radio channel/CD track info. There should be a black amp in the rear right quarter behind the removable boot trim, which is the biggest giveaway that it has Bose.

Yeah its the concert! Thanks heaps.. I found a sub in Germany that works out pretty cheap considering its coming to Australia!!! It is in Bose mode, but wasn't sure as things a missing..Has great sound just no bass due to lack of sub..Can I switch it into non-Bose mode without damaging anything to get some bass until I get a sub unit?

Unfortunately you will not gain any bass from switching it into non Bose mode.

All A3 / S3 models came with subs, the Bose system had an upgraded sub with twin Bose 802 4" drivers, the non-Bose system had a single driver sub.

Both systems rely entirely on the sub for the bass.

Hopefully your Bose system will work great when you get the sub, but the speakers do have a tendency to give up (voice coils wear out).
Bose have discontinued the drivers, but you can get equivalents from here should you need one: JAM :: JAM Aftermarket Replacement Speaker Driver for Bose 802 MkII & MkIII ONLY £22.00 IN STOCK (18 Jun 2014)