Bose Audiopilot Sporadic Volume Levels & Hissing During BT Calls- Fixes

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
8P based cars, namely A3, S3 & RS3 with Bose installed have the audiopilot system, which basically monitors the internal sounds in the car & changes the output of the stereo accordingly.

On non Bose cars, this uses the gala system, which monitors the cars speed & depending on the menu settings of 1-5 or off, will change the volume based on this setting.

The problems faced with some Bose facelift cars, namely 09 onwards are, there is a hissing when using making a phone call, if fitted &/or the volume erratically goes up/down all by itself when using head unit, even with the engine of & no distinct difference in background sounds, that would cause the audiopilot to make changes, this by itself is not correct & apart from being extremely annoying, is infact a fault in my eyes.

There have been varied discussions on this, but there are between 1-3 things that need to be employed to correct this issue.

1: There is a known Audi TPI 2029158/5 specifically calling for the replacement of the Bose/Audiopilot microphone to try & resolve the issue, for some this doesn't completely eradicate the issue & possibly requires the next 2 steps to fully resolve.
2: Adjust the wiring within the amplifier loom to disable the audiopilot system, a bridge of 2 wires has to be made between wires 6 & 24.
3: Make some changes to the coding to enable gala.

I have personally done this a few times & it seems to have helped, there has been a question if the gala system works afterwards, but for most they are just more happier to leave as is & not have the volume going up/down like a yoyo to extreme's.

If your rns has been retrofitted, the dealer may question if its under the TPI, but push it & they should change, if not then we can do the above for you, albeit at a cost, but that's your choice :)

Hi nigel mines goes up and down with the tunes playing on start up ,as i dont use radio ..;)so i will start off with my name down for the fix...

So it will be a journey of Bose fixes lol.

Well if there enough interest we could all meet up at nathans place :)

I'm sure he would be ok with that, I can liaise with him.

I don't notice any hissing but the volume drops quite considerably when I come to a standstill. Bugs the hell out of me.

That's by design, if its not going up/down in almost silent cabin.

That's by design, if its not going up/down in almost silent cabin.
Yeah, I get that it's by design, but it's a pretty dramatic change in volume c/w the GALA I've had on other Audis.

Don't seem to be having this issue. I have both Gala (activated) and Bose but my car has a symphony audio not the satnav.

Don't seem to be having this issue. I have both Gala (activated) and Bose but my car has a symphony audio not the satnav.

Really, be interested to check that cars wiring & coding to see if the audiopilot is enabled, as gala usually isn't running with that system aswell as the systems basically do the same thing, just via different methods.

I would love to find out more about these fixes.
I have found a TSB from 2004 that seems like it's applicable to the issue at hand, but am not sure if it applies to my 2009 S3
http://www.euroaddiction.net/Documents/Audi/TSB/audi.tb.91-04-17.pdf

NHN, I'd really like a link to anything more recent I can refer to. Is the procedure you're referring to in step 2 (bridging two wires to disable Audiopilot) the same procedure as in the above TSB?

Do you know what coding needs to be performed to enable Gala (which in my 2009 Golf worked perfectly as far as I'm concerned)

Will these procedures fix the white noise (of varying volumes) in the background on Bluetooth phone calls?

And, I gather there's no way to set the power-on volume to anything other than "too loud" as this seems to be something coded in the Bose system itself...

I have recently got an S3 and this is without doubt the single most annoying "feature" of the car. I can't believe that the Bose sound system in this is so far below standard. The subwoofer has a case of flatulence, the volume has a mind of it's own and the hissing in the background on bluetooth is quite annoying. I recently installed an entry-level 9w2 OEM VW Bluetooth in my wife's Tiguan and it's pretty well perfect.

I would hope that the B&O sound in the new MQB A3/S3 is better than this!

Thanks