Boring servicing question

Almo85

Reaction score
Hi guys,

apologies if this has already been covered but i am enjoying my new facelift S3 (66 plate) and have enquired to the dealership i bought it from for an idea of servicing costs, they have come back with a two service plan, all very basic service for the first year (sept 17) and second service (July 18) excluding service plus options for just shy of £800.

this was bought on PCP and i havent looked into the details of where it is to be serviced and wanted to know if anyone in my position has used an approved garage that use genuine parts that will be accepted by the dealership when the time comes to hand it back?

i understand its not a cheap car and my dad owns his own garage so i know the real price of oil, filters, labour ect but this seems steep and if i can keep within the rules (and get the right stamps) but not shell out more jungle juice money than is necessary id appreciate hearing others experiences.

i prefer putting my cash in the tank more than a franchise posing as the manufacturer.

Reactions: azibux1 and Scottyg
How many miles are you doing - that determines the servicing schedule. Generally under 10K per annum it should be on fixed (annual) servicing. Above that should be flexible dependant on the MMI telling you.
I don't quite understand why you need a service in Sept 17, then again in Jul 18, 10 months later.
Finally, £800 for two services is high. Do a search on here - lots of discussions about servicing costs. Generally oil change services seem to vary between just under £200 to just over £300 (at main dealers)

Reactions: azibux1 and pburv
It should be serviced as per manfacturers recommendations using their parts or of equivilent quality with the supporting invoices in case of a warranty claim when serviced outside of the Audi retailer network. Just google block exemption, although if your dad runs his own garage I'm surprised you don't already know this.

Last edited:
Reactions: azibux1
If you get a quote from a local garage (within 10 miles of the dealer IIRC) and they state they are using Audi parts, including part numbers, then they will price match. That's what I did when on PCP. Sure, a lot of loops to jump through but saved me over £150 on a service

One thing to remember if you take your car to a non Audi garage and there are any software updates for your particular model only Audi will be able to apply these as your car will need to be connected to the main computers at Audi AG in Germany to do the updates. This is the one thing that a dealers will check and a non-dealer will not be able to.

Reactions: azibux1 and glospete
One thing to remember if you take your car to a non Audi garage and there are any software updates for your particular model only Audi will be able to apply these as your car will need to be connected to the main computers at Audi AG in Germany to do the updates. This is the one thing that a dealers will check and a non-dealer will not be able to.

A software update is unlikely to be of any real value. if it was important then you would be able to get it done for free under warranty anyway.

My car is on a PCP and the variable service regime. I will take it to Audi only if they are not absolutely scamming me.

I will probably only need 1 service during the time I am renting the car. A decent independent can service the car perfectly.

That's extremely expensive when you look at other manufacturers costs. For example MINIs TLC is £199 or free if you can haggle for five years servicing! That includes all their models like Cooper S and JCW. If BMW are still doing their own one it was £399 for 5 years servicing when I got mine. Really puts Audi to shame.

Reactions: richinsoton, KenL, Gordo77 and 1 other person
i do around 20k miles a year so it wouldnt be fixed so probably explains the first services in sept 17.

my dad does run a garage but isnt approved by audi so really i have nothing to go on with his advise. basically i just wanted to get an idea of what people are paying and confirm that this looks like a stitch up. i will check through my PCP details and see if there is anything to suggest this has to be Audi dealership serviced or approved. happy with using genuine parts and anything to keep warranty valid but £800 geez

Your dads garage only needs to be VAT registered. If there's a local Audi garage near your Dads garage, get him to quote you with Audi parts and then get Audi to price match.

You cannot be forced to use dealer servicing. It is against consumer law to restrict your choice. As long as the car is serviced to the manufacturer specification using approved parts at a vat registered garage they cannot say anything.

If you do 20k per year change to flexible servicing if you are not on that already.

Your dads garage only needs to be VAT registered. If there's a local Audi garage near your Dads garage, get him to quote you with Audi parts and then get Audi to price match.
I've always wondered what they'd do if presented with a quote with minimum wage labour that was a good few 100 cheaper, whether they'd accept it or find a clause to get out of the deal.

I was £160ish for the first service (at 12 months) and the second service (at 24 months) is on Monday at a cost of £266 including the pollen filter, this is from my local Audi dealer.

I was £160ish for the first service (at 12 months) and the second service (at 24 months) is on Monday at a cost of £266 including the pollen filter, this is from my local Audi dealer.

Better than some but still too expensive.

With my wife's Citigo (on a PCP), Skoda dealer wanted £259 (that's after me getting them to drop their price a little) for 2nd service at 20k miles.
Local independent did it for £110.

Reactions: Scottyg
I do around 14k miles a year at the moment and my A3 is set for Variable Service. The only service I've had so far was in June 2015 at 18,150 miles and the total cost £276.68. The car has now done 33,200 miles so will require the second service around 36k.

Better than some but still too expensive.

With my wife's Citigo (on a PCP), Skoda dealer wanted £259 (that's after me getting them to drop their price a little) for 2nd service at 20k miles.
Local independent did it for £110.

Yeah, indies will be cheaper although I prefer to use a main dealer, especially when under warranty.

Yeah, indies will be cheaper although I prefer to use a main dealer, especially when under warranty.

Perhaps this is the reason that dealers can get away with charging whatever they fancy?

Wow, you guys are getting ripped off for Audi Service. In the lost colony of Canada, an oil/filter change only by an Audi garage is 65 quid. If you buy the 4 year Audi plan (service intervals of 1 year or mileage) the up front cost is 400 quid that includes the large service bill at 4 years.

Reactions: pburv and KenL
Shop around, the price between Audi Dealers varies considerably. I tried half a dozen dealers and managed to save £170 on a service.
None of them would price match by the way.

I get money off when I ask for a discount, I never manage to get the best price on the first phone call either.