1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Bootlid number plate fixing points.

Dani_B19 Aug 11, 2014

1. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

So I'm slowly starting to work on the car again and one thing that's always annoyed me is that someone used woodscrews in the original number plate fixings points and this resulted in them rotting, then they decided to drill the bootlid and just use wood screws onto the lid itself, I know, total smack rats.

Anyway what are my options? I want to screw my plates back on as im fed up of losing them.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Jeriho

Jeriho Insane and i love it

Hm I'm also interested in this as i noticed one of the screws on my boot lid was rusting and when i tried to fix it the darn thing just broke off. I glued the license plate with silicone for now. Seams to be holding but would like to repair it more proper.

4. Dani_B19

Anyone?

5. Tooks

Tooks Registered User

A previous owner of my old S3 had used suitably sized raw plugs in the enlarged and rusted original screw mount holes, and it seemed to work quite well.

If they've drilled holes elsewhere in the lid though, then it's bodyshop time?

Maybe you could get a number plate holder and secure that to the tailgate securely using adhesive strips?

6. Dani_B19

Tried mate. Just falls off.

It will go eventually but I treated the holes and filled them in.

7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator

Bolts?... get some plate surrounds and bolt them through... paint the rusty bits and use silicon sealer

<tuffty/>

8. Dani_B19

So drill the boot lid and bolt a number plate surround on? Could be the way I suppose.

9. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Registered User

no more nails on a roll.
    clean everything with isopropyl or similar beforehand.

10. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Rivnuts?

11. Dani_B19

Tried nobby, eventually it falls off.

I'll look into them Sam.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. nobbybonez

i'm surprised. you actually tried the no nails stuff and made sure its clean? mine has been on over a year without issue, could not pull it off if i tried...

14. CMcKenzie

CMcKenzie It's supposed to do that..

I thoroughly cleaned any old residue/dirt off with AG glue and tar remover, then used No More Nails double sided foam tape from B&Q. I put a small bead of silicone around the edge of my plate surround then reversed close to a wall and used bamboo canes to wedge the plate surround against the car.
    Been on over 6 months now and no signs of moving, whereas last time I did it with cheaper tape and not cleaning it properly it lasted about 4 months.

Callum.

15. nobbybonez

16. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Rivnuts would make a nice repair if the threads are gone and you can easily change/remove the plate then.

17. CMcKenzie

CMcKenzie It's supposed to do that..