Boot Won't Open Via Fob

jdw88rm

Reaction score
Hi guys,

The boot on my 1.9 TDI won't open through the fob and can only be opened manually. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what could it be? Easy to fix? Expensive?

Cheers guys

Probably the button not working just keep pressing and lifting, also it may sound stupid but check the extra dead lock thingy isn't locked.

Probably the button not working just keep pressing and lifting, also it may sound stupid but check the extra dead lock thingy isn't locked.

I think it's my button that isn't working. Should the button unlock the boot if the car is locked?

I think it's my button that isn't working. Should the button unlock the boot if the car is locked?

My old b5 2.5tdi had two separate buttons, one worked the other never did. The boot won't open by pressing the button if your car is locked.

My unlock button opens all door and tailgate. The middle button does nothing at all. My avant doesn't have a manual lock on the tailgate.

My old b5 2.5tdi had two separate buttons, one worked the other never did. The boot won't open by pressing the button if your car is locked.

Should the boot pop open when the button is pressed then? Otherwise what's the point in the button?

Yes the boot button on the fob should open the boot if the car is locked. My problem is, I have to stick the key in and open it that way!

Do you mean the boot won't unlock with the general unlock button on the fob? Or won't pop open on the specific boot open button?

My boot won't unlock with the specific boot unlock button (I think). Should it pop open?

Its a saloon. The button on the fob doesn't do anything. It USED to pop the boot off the latch and flash the lights. To open I have to physically use the key to open it up.

I think you can isolate to tailgate from the rest of the central locking system with the key but not sure if you can do it with a saloon!

Its a saloon. The button on the fob doesn't do anything. It USED to pop the boot off the latch and flash the lights. To open I have to physically use the key to open it up.

I think there are two solenoids in the boot lid, one will unlock it, one will pop it off the latch, sounds like the latch solenoid is broken. I think the p/n is in the sticky, I will check.

mine is an avant,pressing unlock opens the 4 doors but when you try lifting the boot it doesnt open.

I have a cab and I'm sure it's the same as my old saloon.mine used to intermittently play up touch wood the following works though now!.... I have to use the car unlock button to unlock the car then push and hold the boot button for a couple of seconds then the boot pops open a tad. The only other way I can unlock my boot is two clicks on the key fob un lock button, first click unlocks drivers side, 2nd click unlocks pass side & boot then u can manually unlatch it! Hope that makes sense :) if none of them work as above I guess you need to sort the solinoid.

Last edited:
Keeping the button held down on my Avant pops it open now I've had it unlocked on VCDS. Before if i pressed it, it would just unlock it.

Keeping the button held down on my Avant pops it open now I've had it unlocked on VCDS. Before if i pressed it, it would just unlock it.

I didn't realise that you had to hold the button down to pop the boot! Just tried it and it works for me when my Avant is fully locked or unlocked!

Reactions: Chrismawa