Boot trim removal...

norris_309

Reaction score
Hi all,

After 2 summers of having trouble opening my boot in hot weather I decided i'd better replace the boot lock actuator.
Looking online & a youtube video , looks pretty straight forward.

Anyway, I took our the 4 screws & popped the 2 clips which gave a bit of access, but I can't seem to pop the back 4 clips out, I've tried using s screwdriver as in the video & reaching my hand in (scratching my arms up!!..) but can't seem to get them out. (i'm guessing I need to go rougher with it but it was getting to the point where I thought something was going to snap!)

Also the video shows to use a 'hook' tool to separate the upper & lower boot trim by inserting the tool between the trim & pulling down the window line.
I don't have a hook tool or anything resembling that... the best I could find was a tiny allen key, so gave that a go with no luck.

Is there a special knack to this? & do you really need to separate the upper & lower trim just to gain access to replace the actuator??.. I can see the damn thing just not enough access to swap it out.

Any experienced boot trim removers advice welcome!

I changed the front window regulator yesterday fine so thought this would be a nice quick straight forward job compared to that.. how wrong was I.

Cheers Guys

I did mine last week with no special tools, it just needs a good tug.

Sorry to act dumb, but when you say good tug.. I did that initially which released the 2 clips nearest you it was hanging down a bit (enough to see in)
Where did you hold it to tug after that, every time I tried it seemed to be pulling the cloth part away from the attached plastic on the edges, so got a bit concerned about snapping the thing.

Did it unclip from the upper covers on either side when you pulled it off? or did you release those bits first?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. need an idiots guide!!

Apologies I haven't been back on since the other day.

I managed to pop all the metal clips out by pulling from the bottom of the boot where the latch is. I then pulled from the centre of the upper part where the window is to pop it off completely.

Well I changed the actuator.
I made a crude hook tool in the end, pulled the front to clips out & then used a screwdriver to unclip the back 4 clips.
Trim still didn't come off!.. so using a tool, pulled near the right side where the trim meets & the cover came crashing down onto my head!...

The other thing I couldn't undo was the boot light connector.. couldn't for the life of me unplug that little thing, so had to wiggle/force it through the hole.

Now, along with the actuator, I was given a new boot catch too, so thought I'd change it (as I had it) so I took off the catch but couldn't pull off the flexible plastic cover... is there a knack/secret to this??..
As I was only changing it because I had the new bit, I thought I'd not bother.. then yesterday I went to close the boot & it wouldn't shut!!! typical.. so looks like I need to change that too.

Boot light connection just pulls out, there are no clips.

I'm not sure which other cover you mean, can you stick a picture up?

Yeah I gathered it just pulls out but it wouldn't budge.. I 'just' managed to wiggle it through the hole & out of the way.

The cover I'm referring to, (i'm at work at the moment, so no photos) you un do the 2 nuts & release the metal rod from the boot catch/lock & disconnect the cable in the back.

The lock has a cover over it that needs removing & putting onto the new lock.

I actually managed to do this yesterday, it does just slide off, there is a small bit that catches in a hole to secure it a little. but I sprayed WD40 around it & it came off in the end.

So now we need some sunny days to see if my problems are fixed! (new lock & actuator now done!)

next on the list... got 2 front anti-roll bar links to replace & no time to do it (1 was an advisory on the mot)
I've also bought a replacement parking sensor after 2 years of having the warning sound when I put it in reverse.... but i'm a little scared of trying to remove the back bumper lol.

Hi,
I've had issues on and off where my boot sometimes catches but isn't quite closed (if that makes sense). but I could usually just open and close it again and it would be fine. For the past few days (which have been warm) sometimes the boot won't open at all. when I pull the handle I can hear the actuator doing something, but it sounds like maybe it's not opening the whole way. Was that what yours was doing? And do you know why it's related to the heat?
Anyway, most importantly do you have a part number for the new actuator?
cheers
nj