boot stuck shut, battery NOT flat.

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a double post... I resurrected an old "boot stuck" thread from when I killed my battery 6 months ago and realised that it's completely inappropriate as the title is missleading and the problem I have now is very different, as it says in the new subject: boot is stuck, but there's no problem with the battery.

I opened and closed the boot a few times yesterday afternoon using the remote and boot leaver without any problems, and then in the evening, when we were about to head home, the boot release wouldn't work (handle or remote): there's not even the faintest click or any noise when I try to open it.

I should be able to use the backup "key in the lock" option: but when I put the key into the slot just above the number plate and rotate it all the way to the left and it doesn't do anything.

The car is a saloon, solid bulkhead: so there's no "flip down the seats" option...

Any advice on fuses or other ways of releasing it? I'm guessing the fuse is the same for the central convenience module, so I would lose all central locking if it was just a fuse? There's nothing else in the car that I've found to be failing.

I've seen mention of solenoid issues when the car has been sat in the sun, but a) it's never sounded like the solenoid was lazy or intermittent and b) it didn't work this morning (apparently the solenoid issue usually starts off as a warm weather only problem).

If it is the solenoid and it's all gone "bang" in one go, then any advice on releasing it? (and then on replacing it)

Last edited:
Rotating to the left puts the dead lock on so it won't open with the central locking turning to the right will or should open it with the key

Turn it all the way to the right until you can remove the key then try the central locking

If no joy you could have split wires in the boot wiring

yup thats right :)

Manual says that left/anticlockwise should spring it open, "vertical" links it to the rest of the car's central locking and to the right (clockwise) should set it to independant, so it only works off the remote "boot release" button.

Looks liek I'm off to Audi tomorrow with a "WTF"...

Manual says that left/anticlockwise should spring it open, "vertical" links it to the rest of the car's central locking and to the right (clockwise) should set it to independant, so it only works off the remote "boot release" button.

Looks liek I'm off to Audi tomorrow with a "WTF"...

hmmm I thought it was the way I said! I maybe wrong though I will have to double check on my car!!!

hmmm I thought it was the way I said! I maybe wrong though I will have to double check on my car!!!
It's working now, the key settings are as I said: anti-clockwise to unlock, clockwise to set to work with remote only and "vertical" (in the middle) to link it to the central locking.. I got the car into Walton Audi and the problems have been diagnosed: two completely separate issues.... the mechanical lock had fallen apart (which I suspect had happened some time ago - way before I couldn't get in on September as the whole lock action feels completely different with the key now).... AND I had the tail end of a "lazy solenoid/actuator" where it had got to failing the vast majority of the time... Once they got in, they were able to rebuild the lock and the phyiscal key in the lock now works and they've ordered the parts for the Solenoid. The remote works, but only VERY VERY intermittently (one in a hundred, if that!) and I'm using the key as a backup until I can take it back in to get the solenoid (they said "actuator") fixed....