Boot open

Voronus

Reaction score
A strange phenomenon is upon me. Several times recently I came back to my S4 to find the boot wide open. Some nice guy even knocked on my door today to tell me.

My theory is I had the keys in my pocket and accidently pressed the boot open button some how. The keys seem to have a very long range but I might be wrong.

Has anyone had that before and has a solution? It is a bit worrying to be honest!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
A strange phenomenon is upon me. Several times recently I came back to my S4 to find the boot wide open. Some nice guy even knocked on my door today to tell me.

My theory is I had the keys in my pocket and accidently pressed the boot open button some how. The keys seem to have a very long range but I might be wrong.

Has anyone had that before and has a solution? It is a bit worrying to be honest!

Yeah I've had it happen once. Just try not to leave them in pocket is best bet but insaying that, I never really changed my habits and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found the car with all of the windows down, I assume because the key was in my pocket and the unlock button was pressed down. I've now disabled that option in the MMI.

I've found the car with all of the windows down, I assume because the key was in my pocket and the unlock button was pressed down. I've now disabled that option in the MMI.

Very sensible. I once managed to leave a previous ('05) A4's windows open all night in a Glasgow rainstorm, after having inadvertently opened them from my trousers. The interior took a good couple of weeks to dry out.

Thanks that's a good read. Trousers seem to be the culprit then

Happened to me too.

Suggest buying these, which will prevent it ever happening as well as prevent theft off your driveway from high tech robbers

Wemk 2 Pack Car Key Signal Blocker Case Keyless Entry Fob Guard Faraday Bag Signal GSM Blocking Case Pouch Amazon product

To open the windows you have to press and hold the unlock button, so if it's caused by being in tight trousers then god know how much circulation other bits are being restricted ;-)
Never once have I had this happen with global closing or opening windows with any of my vehicles...

You can turn off key boot opening as an option to stop it.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Or you can increase the time you need to press the button with OBDEleven. After the 2nd time my neighbour told me my boot was open, I increased it to 5 seconds and it hasn't happened again since.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Mine opened in the rain but wasn't too bad as I added Carbon Collective Repel to the fabric. So it was easily soaked up with towel.

+1 for OBD11 very simple change, took all of 10 seconds, changed it so something much more reasonable now like 2 seconds.

There is no issue with your car, it's just the design of the key, and the short time pressing and opening by default, means it is extremely easy to press it or touch it intentionally in your pocket etc.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
+1 for OBD11 very simple change, took all of 10 seconds, changed it so something much more reasonable now like 2 seconds.
I guess the dealer could re-program the key, free of charge?

Alternatively can someone confirm that you can switch off the boot unlocking on key completely via MMI even if you have the non-convenience key? On page 43 of the manual it appears to mention convenience key....

Cheers

On mine there is a button on the tailgate (inside) to turn it off.

TX.

Saloons don't have this option though. All boot/tailgate release on the key fob have been one press on all the audi's and no-audi's I have owned so it isn't that as I've never had false openings. Perhaps it is the degree of sensitivity of the microswitch...

On mine there is a button on the tailgate (inside) to turn it off.
Thanks, I presume you're referring to button B on the Avant rear as shown on page 46 of the B9 manual? If so, does pressing this only deactivate the boot unlocking/locking button on the key fob? Or does it keep the boot permanently locked? Also is this button (B) available on Avant models without convenience key? Diagram below seems to indicate only the Close button (A) isn't included on non-convenience key fobs...

Cheers :)

A4_boot.jpg

Thanks, I presume you're referring to button B on the Avant rear as shown on page 46 of the B9 manual? If so, does pressing this only deactivate the boot unlocking/locking button on the key fob? Or does it keep the boot permanently locked? Also is this button (B) available on Avant models without convenience key? Diagram below seems to indicate only the Close button (A) isn't included on non-convenience key fobs...

Cheers :)

A4_boot.jpg

Button B does not stop the key fob from being able to open the boot, it shuts the boot and locks all the car doors so you can just press it and walk away. After that all the features function as they normally would with your car locked.

You only get button A on cars without the convenience key as far as I remember from my test drives in a couple cars.

Reactions: psychopomp1
I guess the dealer could re-program the key, free of charge?

Alternatively can someone confirm that you can switch off the boot unlocking on key completely via MMI even if you have the non-convenience key? On page 43 of the manual it appears to mention convenience key....

Cheers

Hi. It's not the key that you program with OBD11, it's the car, you're telling the car to only respond after it's received an interrupted signal for a longer period of time.
Highly unlikely dealer would do it for you, as it's not a "standard" change, Dealers have a habit of saying computer says no to everything that deviates from the strict Audi line

Reactions: psychopomp1
Button B does not stop the key fob from being able to open the boot, it shuts the boot and locks all the car doors so you can just press it and walk away. After that all the features function as they normally would with your car locked.

You only get button A on cars without the convenience key as far as I remember from my test drives in a couple cars.
I have convenience key and button A that shuts the boot with a press.

TX.

I have convenience key and button A that shuts the boot with a press.

TX.

Totally right, I meant that I think you only get the lock button with convenience key...

Both buttons shut the boot but button B locks the car as well is what I should’ve said.

Last edited:
I had this issue too, resolved by getting the timing adjusted. Now at 4 seconds and hasn’t happened since.

Both buttons shut the boot but button B locks the car as well ....
Well, I never knew that, thanks.
But....if one presses Button B when the tailgate is on the way down, it will stop at the point when it was pressed eg. you do not want to close the tailgate completely, or you realised your key is actually still on the luggage area floor. To close it fully, press button A and it will go up to fully open. Press button A again and it will close fully and lock. Note the doors will be already locked from the initial time you pressed button B.

We have wrought iron folding gates in our carport. When I crouch to pull up the bottom retaining hinges I have heard various S4 noises and found it locked or even all windows wound down half-way. I've even locked it when cleaning the front windscreen.

Well, I never knew that, thanks.
But....if one presses Button B when the tailgate is on the way down, it will stop at the point when it was pressed eg. you do not want to close the tailgate completely, or you realised your key is actually still on the luggage area floor. To close it fully, press button A and it will go up to fully open. Press button A again and it will close fully and lock. Note the doors will be already locked from the initial time you pressed button B.

We have wrought iron folding gates in our carport. When I crouch to pull up the bottom retaining hinges I have heard various S4 noises and found it locked or even all windows wound down half-way. I've even locked it when cleaning the front windscreen.

Useful to know!

Although you don’t need to worry about locking the keys in the boot with the other doors still locked. I’ve done this a couple times because I’ve left the key in my jacket and thrown it in the boot then pressed button A, only to get to the drivers door and wonder why it’s not unlocking when I touch the handle...

The car obviously recognised that you’ve been stupid and it pops the boot back open for you so you can get your key out again.