Boot only opening with key

AudidriverA4

Reaction score
Hi again

Ever since I bought my A4 the boot has only ever opened with the key,

Every time I press the boot open button on the key nothing happens no sound of solenoid or anything,

Even when the car is unlocked, I still have to open the boot with the key, which is very annoying

Any one have an idea what could be causing this problem ??

Thanks

The boot lock needs to be in a certain position for it to unlock or open via the Fob.

Depending on the position of the key slot the boot lock can be isolated from the central locking.
Put the slot in the vertical and try, then out it horizontal and try again.
You could also have a broken lock actuator

and you need to press the remote button for a few seconds.

I tried all methods and it's still no good there :sorry:

Where is the lock actuator located are they easy to replace?

take the trim off and its up there with the lock
quite easy to change

take the trim off and its up there with the lock
quite easy to change

Cheers I'll give it a go anyway,

Is it better going to Audi themselves for a genuine part or would an ebay one be as good of quality?

id go second hand from a scrappy or ebay
i can see audi charging loads
or it could just be a wire off
or check the wires from boot to car they can and do snap worth a check.

part is £18 from main dealer, ill find part no in a bit

I would check the wiring to the boot before you spend money it costs nothing to check and they do break mine did it about a year or two ago

Reactions: Gary Allman and iantype-r
I would check the wiring to the boot before you spend money it costs nothing to check and they do break mine did it about a year or two ago

Is that the wiring behind the trim on the Boot lid? (Mine is a saloon model by the way)

it usually breaks where it runs up the left hand side hinge on the boot lid

Reactions: Gary Allman
No worries

it is a bit of a pain to get to the wires thought i had to pull the grommets out and the wire through to give some slack

if you have a multimeter you could always check your getting power to the actuator when you press the key fob

The multimeter is out of action at the moment, need to order new leads for it,

I have a circuit tester though, It should do the job shouldn't it,

Once the button is pressed if I have the circuit tester hooked up to it, once I press the button the tester should light up if it's getting power right?

A circuit tester might work but it will just be a quick flash of power

you can only try

I posted this in a big thread about this issue. I had exactly the same issue and fixed it. I posted this

Ok just replaced my boot openening actuator, part no 4Bp 962 115C (annotated as part 47 in the image above) and my boot is working fine, previously it only openened with the key, now it works with the release catch and fob button.

I initially thought it was just down to the connection arm (part 24 in the image) which had become disconnected, but the actuator was very weak and wouldnt have the strength to pull it.

The part cost me £34 though from the stealers..

Took off my actuator today

D06DC487-5F96-4A3B-8577-CF27AE5C92B2-1556-0000024F3F6E542F.jpg

Took me a few seconds to locate it :laugh:

253F5B98-DC71-4921-B5F0-2979C76064FA-1556-0000024F61BFBF56.jpg

I then used the circuit tester to test the plug going into the actuator when I had it removed, Lucky enough the actuator is getting power, so it has to be the actuator itself that is at fault,

Here is the old one it looks very dirty

8B66C801-643D-49AF-8AE5-DBD53379A6EC-1556-0000024F8858EB61.jpg

All I need to do now is order a new actuator :cool:

Keep us updated got the same problem with mine just not been in an ordered a new one yet

Keep us updated got the same problem with mine just not been in an ordered a new one yet

Will do, just rang the main dealers and I'll have to collect the part myself, just don't know when I'll get time off work now to collect it :(

Just after fitting a new boot actuator this evening.

Made absolutely no difference at all :aggressive:

Any other ideas anyone

there is still no noise to be heard at all from the new part and it is getting power :uhm:

I know that if you lock the doors from inside the car with the key button by the drivers handle and then 're open with that button. This doesn't open the boot and you get no response at all from the boot soft button. Maybe you have some fault with that door lock??

Just noticed for the week the actuator was removed from my car, the bulb gone light came up on the dash, both of my number plate bulbs went,

But when I fitted the new actuator, the light on the dash went out and the number plate lights are working again but sadly the boot is still only opening with the key.....

Check how your key lock is turned. You can disable opening by button by putting the key in at a certain angle.

Did you not check the wiring like I mentioned?

its got to be wireing
as post 8
1st thing to check on an audi
they break in the doors boot everywhere.

Did you not check the wiring like I mentioned?

Hi Stu

No I never did, when I tested the plug that goes into the actutator and there was power going into it, I was sure it was the actutor its self that was at fault so I never did,

It looks like it could possible a fault with the earth wire now I'm thinking if thinking if the 'live' wire is bringing power to it

its got to be wireing
as post 8
1st thing to check on an audi
they break in the doors boot everywhere.

Cheers bez101

I'll take a look at it tomorrow

Nearly getting sick now of taking the trim on and off on the boot now :laugh:

on the saloon left hand side as your looking at it
the hinge take the plastic cover off just clips on
undo the tape on the wires its normaly the thick brown but could be the thin ones
have a very good look as they sometimes dont look damaged
did it on my B7 took my fogs and 1 numberplate light out and lock.

on the saloon left hand side as your looking at it
the hinge take the plastic cover off just clips on
undo the tape on the wires its normaly the thick brown but could be the thin ones
have a very good look as they sometimes dont look damaged
did it on my B7 took my fogs and 1 numberplate light out and lock.

If I remember it looks like there isn't to much space to work with there :laugh:

So it's wire will more than likely be broken ?

twist the ends together, insulating tape and job done hopefully

very tight add some wire
sometimes there broke on the inside if the plastic and they look ok
give them a good pull.

very tight add some wire
sometimes there broke on the inside if the plastic and they look ok
give them a good pull.

Thanks again bez

I'll give it a try tomorrow

Looks like it's going to be a tricky enough job

Had a look at the wiring today:

5A31E1B2-7118-4924-A529-DEC68A46F985-4044-00000384E82DA1C2.jpg

The only wire that looked to be damaged was a slightly thicker brown wire, compared to the other wires:
2530BBEC-8901-43D9-B54F-B6A512A654C9-4037-00000384869598D6.jpg

It doesn't look to me that the wire was that badly damaged to cause the actuator to fail :confused:

But do you guys think?

Think I might have to give up on the idea of my boot ever opening with the button on the key :blush:

you have to open the full loom up as mine was further down and a right pain to see!

Reactions: Roland Wong
oh and mine was on the main body side too