Boot not opening

wannis

Reaction score
Hi All,

Signed up to the forum for a number of months now! and found lots of useful information, but cannot not find what I am after now so putting a post out there and see if anyone can help.

I have a 2015 S3 saloon in sepang blue since November last year and for the past week I am unable to open the boot from the soft touch handle on the boot but I am able to open the boot from the key fob, I looked through the mmi but nothing I can find re the boot, so just seeing if anyone else had the same problem and what the fix was?

Cheers
Wannis

There’s a setting in MMI for boot opening by handle or something like that. It’s under central locking if I remember right. Will try and take a pic next time I’m in the car.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
There’s a setting in MMI for boot opening by handle or something like that. It’s under central locking if I remember right. Will try and take a pic next time I’m in the car.
^THIS^

For my A5 but it will be the same area! Car - Vehicle settings - Central locking

IMG 7614

Reactions: AlS3BE, Audi Bairn and josul
Thank you!

I had a look on my screen and I have all the options apart from the boot handle option......which is annoying now as I thought it might be an easy fix!

Sounds like a faulty switch in the boot for sure.

Thank you!

I had a look on my screen and I have all the options apart from the boot handle option......which is annoying now as I thought it might be an easy fix!
Hmmm sorry to hear that. On the S3 boot, is there an option to insert the key anywhere close to where you put your fingers when opening the boot manually? If there is try moving the key slot to the vertical position (if it's in the horizontal position) or vice versa....then try opening from inside the car.

EDIT* just thinking, have you got your key set to open just the drivers door after one push on the fob? If so, then your boot will only open with the keyfob. Try pushing open twice on the keyfob (open all doors) and then opening the boot by hand!

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
Sounds like a faulty switch in the boot for sure.
Yes deffo sounds like it’s going this way, which is rather annoying as my car went in for a major service and haldex oil change and filter clean a month ago then went back to the garage last Thursday for a new water pump and thermostat due to the common coolant leak, a new EVAP and have the haldex recalibrated as I was still getting lots of wheel spin! Only had the car for nearly 6 months!!

Hmmm sorry to hear that. On the S3 boot, is there an option to insert the key anywhere close to where you put your fingers when opening the boot manually? If there is try moving the key slot to the vertical position (if it's in the horizontal position) or vice versa....then try opening from inside the car.

EDIT* just thinking, have you got your key set to open just the drivers door after one push on the fob? If so, then your boot will only open with the keyfob. Try pushing open twice on the keyfob (open all doors) and then opening the boot by hand!

I can’t see a key lock.

Yes it is set to open driver side door only and since owning the car I have unlocked all doors by double push on the key fob or push the unlock button on the inside of the door, which then allow me to open the boot manually, it’s only been the past week which I am unable to open the boot manually.

Luckily I can still open the boot on the key fob but this can be quite inconvenient at times!

Yes deffo sounds like it’s going this way, which is rather annoying as my car went in for a major service and haldex oil change and filter clean a month ago then went back to the garage last Thursday for a new water pump and thermostat due to the common coolant leak, a new EVAP and have the haldex recalibrated as I was still getting lots of wheel spin! Only had the car for nearly 6 months!!

Ouch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes it is set to open driver side door only and since owning the car I have unlocked all doors by double push on the key fob or push the unlock button on the inside of the door, which then allow me to open the boot manually, it’s only been the past week which I am unable to open the boot manually.

Luckily I can still open the boot on the key fob but this can be quite inconvenient at times!
The two things I said were the obvious things I could think of....Hmmm then unfortunately it seem to be a problem with the touch pad itself, probably corroded inside. You could take it apart and try cleaning it up, but you'd have to take the tailboard off! or just get it replaced, at least the main lock/unlock part is still working. I reckon it's a £100 job if Audi do it.

A while ago I thought I had a problem with the boot release.....it would not open externally but would do so when pressing the centre button on the fob.
I figured it out and felt rather stupid....because as already stated I had recently changed the standard unlocking to drivers door only which disables the external boot release button. :flushed:

Thank you very much for the help guys!

I set the central locking to unlock all on one push on the key fob just to be double sure this was not causing the problem but still no luck!

Another trip to the garage I think to sort this out!

Thanks again

Seems like you are having quite a lot going wrong with your A3. No chance of getting the garage to help out with costs? Thats assuming you did buy from a garage. My sister recently got a 2012 Fiat 500 from an independant garage. ECU fried after 4months. Was going to cost near 1k. She got it done by Fiat in the end but paid for by the indy garage she bought it from. She got it looked at by Fiat and they adivsed her to claim against the indy dealer or hand the car back. To be fair the indy garage was good enough to just accept the claim. It does show that there are options outt here though and it seems like you have had enough go wrong for you to be a bit miffed.

Good link here that goes through your rights. 2nd hand car descriptions is as follows;

The Consumer Rights Act states that you should expect any car to be of ‘satisfactory quality’, ‘as described’ and ‘fit for purpose’ at the time of sale. If any of these criteria aren’t met the dealer is under a legal obligation to rectify any faults at their cost. If repairs performed fail to rectify the fault reported, you’re entitled to a refund. It should be noted, though, that you’re likely to find that having repair work performed under the Consumer Rights Act will be a lot easier within the first six months of your purchase being made. If you find a fault, report it to the supplying dealer as soon as possible.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/138836/car-warranty-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100
Seems like you are having quite a lot going wrong with your A3. No chance of getting the garage to help out with costs? Thats assuming you did buy from a garage. My sister recently got a 2012 Fiat 500 from an independant garage. ECU fried after 4months. Was going to cost near 1k. She got it done by Fiat in the end but paid for by the indy garage she bought it from. She got it looked at by Fiat and they adivsed her to claim against the indy dealer or hand the car back. To be fair the indy garage was good enough to just accept the claim. It does show that there are options outt here though and it seems like you have had enough go wrong for you to be a bit miffed.

Good link here that goes through your rights. 2nd hand car descriptions is as follows;

The Consumer Rights Act states that you should expect any car to be of ‘satisfactory quality’, ‘as described’ and ‘fit for purpose’ at the time of sale. If any of these criteria aren’t met the dealer is under a legal obligation to rectify any faults at their cost. If repairs performed fail to rectify the fault reported, you’re entitled to a refund. It should be noted, though, that you’re likely to find that having repair work performed under the Consumer Rights Act will be a lot easier within the first six months of your purchase being made. If you find a fault, report it to the supplying dealer as soon as possible.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/138836/car-warranty-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car

Thank you for the advice Ormesome, luckily I only paid out for the major service and haldex service as warranty covered the water pump and thermostat but yes it is very frustrating only owned my car for nearly 6 months that things are already going wrong.......this is my first Audi and now I ask myself was this the right move as I always buy Japanese cars!!

Hopefully when I get this fixed no other problems arises?!?!

Reactions: Ormesome