Boot lift motors really week now how to fix?

rich dj

2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik
Reaction score
Is it just a replacement motor/motors assy or can the armature be cleaned and brushes replaced?

Are you sure it's the motors and not the struts. I'm sure they could be stripped down but finding the parts would be difficult.

I guessing the motors as the struts were replaced a while back as it was int not opening had to click twice and been gradually getting worse. If you gently help it up it seems to work fine. I do use my boot a lot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a set of used motors as I retrofit the electric tailgate. You could try and find some on ebay. I've got one motor for sale, but cannot remember which side, would need to check tomorrow.

Ok thanks. Do you have the part numbers?

With very light help it goes up fine so maybe it is the Rams they were a pattern part and not that expensive so may try that first.
I assume they have different part codes to the non motor driven part.

They do, I'm sure the part number is in my thread as I retrofitted the electric tailgate.

Well finally got time to have a look and decided Rams I fitted are rubbish been in just over a year.

b0c6d4a3a9480f1e103db5ff666ed039.jpg
cda79283a012c323ddca4f96c1446cef.jpg
1ed79d9f213601a28c97850de7e3a725.jpg

So I'm going to try Rams first as if you give it a gentle lift it opens fine.
So the question is are they the same Rams as non motorised?

No, they are different. Part number for the motorised version is in my thread.

Cheers

Pick up new ones from TPS tomorrow.

Oops that was today just sent message.
Fitted the new ones and so much better the boot actually opens fully now so I don't bang my head. Bolts were slightly loose on mine too. Bit of a clean up on the knuckle and really had to push the boot up without old strut the other side to get it on.
Lubricated the lock mech and perfect now. Thanks

Works better but still not perfect.
When you open it it now only opens a small amount just open an inch and you press again and it will open fine all the way.
Also sometimes when it closes it starts to close then stops and returns back to fully open.
Weird

Only option now is the motors, it could have been they have been working harder than they should have due to the failing struts. I know I've got one motor you can have for £80 posted.