Boosting issue...please help

timjack_

Reaction score
I have an S3 BAM, the other day out of the blue the idle went bad and so did the brake pedal. On inspection I found plastic vacuum line under inlet manifold split and come off of valve, I temp repaired with duct tape until I could replace the following day.

After replacing with genuine pipes the boost started playing up.....as in when on boost it cuts in and out quite harshly, when the boost drops it sounds like it back fires from the exhaust, I inspected again and found rubber hoses under inlet had collapsed so replaced all including elbow from oil cooler, T-piece, pcv valve and hose off of pcv valve.

This did not solve the issue, I have also swapped N75 and DV from my other 1.8T ARY again did not solve. I tried maf unplugged, still no better. It also smokes from the exhaust when hot - this comes and goes intermittently with no pattern.

Whilst playing around under the bonnet last night i noticed the oil cap dancing when left loose - decided to drive with oil cap off and drove like a new car, no boost issues at all but still smoke from exhaust when hot, in one last attempt i fitted new suction jet pump thinking this was the only thing left but didn't make any difference , oh and also in amongst all this i replaced spark plugs and carried out boost leak test., i'm all out of ideas so really would appreciate some help, thanks

PS i bought car in Jan this year, drove perfect until now - it was remapped to 250bhp by previous owner with print out,

Last edited by a moderator:
Following this mate as I'm having similar issues

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Replaced them all with new genuine ones...

Does the vacuum come from where the hockey puck is mounted on intake hose? As I pulled it off last night and there is no vacuum there

Replaced them all with new genuine ones...

Does the vacuum come from where the hockey puck is mounted on intake hose? As I pulled it off last night and there is no vacuum there
no. vacuum does not come from there it comes from PCV valve, inlet manifold side.. and suction jet pump (also under inlet manifold.)

Did you replace ALL of the pipework under the manifold?

Yep all hoses . T piece , pcv valve jet pump. . I'll pull pipe off bottom of inlet manifold at weekend see if there is vacuum there and if so trace back untill it stops. Only other thing is if new valve is faulty I guess

are you still having the same problems with your s3?
Funnily enough, no not so much. I took the charge pipe and intake off and cleaned them thoroughly and also put some wd40 on the actuator on the turbo and stripped and cleaned my Dump valve and so far so good touch wood. Seems to have solved the issue.

I would recommend checking the actuator moves freely under pressure as that is what I was advised to do.

what was the issue u was having?
The harsh boosting, it would boost to nearly 1.8bar with no go and then dump it all and then boost okay. Was really weird

yeh sounds like mine, also get a sort of backfire noise after it cuts the power.

i changed my pcv valve back to the original one and seamed good for the last week but just started doing it again but not so often now,

its driving me mad lol

yeh sounds like mine, also get a sort of backfire noise after it cuts the power.

i changed my pcv valve back to the original one and seamed good for the last week but just started doing it again but not so often now,

its driving me mad lol
I had the exact same issue. I would definitely take the charge pipe and the charge pipe bracket off ( easy access) Chuck some wd on the actuator arm and give everything a general good clean. What DV are you running?

standard factory dv,

do you mean the intake pipe between air box and turbo?

thanks

standard factory dv,

do you mean the intake pipe between air box and turbo?

thanks
Well I took the intake pipe (what you are referring too) and the charge pipe (the metal one that circles the engine) and cleaned all of it.

How new Is the DV?

i don,t know as only had car 5 months, but i did swap it with another one off my other 18t and didn't change anything

Give the above a go and if all else fails get another DV I would say.

yeh will do mate, i think turbo is on its way out too as smokes when up to temperature