Boost leak?

Joshstan

Reaction score
Hi all I have pretty much stripped and rebuilt my APY s3 this weekend gone but now I have a couple of issues I hope someone can help with
Firstly when I get to 3k it starts almost kangarooing
I have checked for codes and get maf reading too high
Secondary air circuit solenoid short to plus

I have done some maf readings and it's around 5g/a at idle and 12g/s at 3k when stationary am I right in thinking this points to a boost/vac leak

the maf was brand new a week ago and genuine Bosch one

Any help greatly appreciated

Hi,

Another APY owner here an tbh the symptoms you have explained is exactly why my vehicle is currently off the road at present.

First off check and double check every hose - especially the TIP, PCV system and especially the pipe under the inlet manifold.
Second of all unplug the MAF and see if you have exactly the same problem on a short drive (will be a bit down on power but the Kangaroo jump may still be present and can determine if it's MAF related)
Thirdly take the front bumper off and check all the intercooler hosing- the metal pipe in the middle that connects the two SMICs is prone to corrosion and leaks.

I have checked all of the above and I still have the issue so my motor will be trailered to my mechanic for things to get double checked over- to take some logs and maybe also check the actuator out and N75 valve..... both of which I have no experience in logging or diagnosing which is why I fully trust he can get to the bottom of it for me (fingers crossed it's not a huge repair bill)

Chris

Thanks a lot buddy I'm gonna go over those things tonight I have less to check as I have no pcv,sai,or n249 I remember the front intercooler pipe being quite rusty so hoping that will be the problem on another note have you checked your brake booster pipe as that seems a common culprit

No worries,

It would have to be quiet a large split or leak in the intercooler system for it to be that btw- very small pin holes wouldn't cause it from what I've been reading.

Funny (okay not that funny) you should mention the brake booster pipe, as this morning I did notice a bit of a small puddle of oily residue coming from the rearish of the motor. I was on my way to work when I checked it so just had a quick smell to make sure some youth hadn't tried pulling my fuel filter of to steal some V power! lol.....wasn't V power and was definitely oil though.

May have a butchers later tonight before it's sent of to the mechanic and a bit of a dig on here for this issue. I don't expect you have any more info on the brake booster pipe? Like replacing or fixing it? I have a FMIC to go on mine as well- so will still send it over to the mechanic for that to be fitted and for a proper check over with some logs as I know I have some holes and leaks on my OEM set up.

Sorry I mean the brake booster vac lines under the bonnet it comes off the end of the inlet manifold and ends up at the firewall they are very prone to splits

Ohhhh I get you...

Great - something else that may need looking at/replacing on my motor :(

Good luck in getting to the end of your problem- will keep an eye on this thread

If I find my issue I'll definitely post up the result I'm gonna go over it tonight

Reactions: kwistof
I have been over and over for possible boost leaks and can find nothing I have deleted the n249 the pcv system is gone the sai is gone so basically I have the vac pipe for the brake booster and 2 vac lines under the inlet manifold one to the for and one to the dv and all of those are brand new
Next port of call is plugs and coil packs do the coils have to be from an apy (bolt downs) or will ones from AUM or any other code work?

My boost outlet pipe turned out to me the vein of my problem.

I stupidly didn't take the pipe off in full, so the split was not seen or found with a simple reach around #giggity

Got another one coming to fix the issue now and get me back on the road.

When I replaced my coil packs on my APY I opted for some of the TFSI ones from Awesome GTI tbh and got some plastic adapters from TPS for about £8 for the set

I have a coilpack on the way but it's a donate misfire under load so going to see if that sorts it then may go for tfsi coils I have been looking into those for a little while now