Boost issue? PO2999 - New turbo?

Davyy

Reaction score
Hi all. My first post!

Recently purchased an Audi A1, 1.6turbo diesel, on 50k miles. 2012.

It has a running issue, very noisy, and feels underpowered SOMETIMES. I have to rev it high in first gear otherwise it lacks power in second gear. Other times I reverse out of my space, and it runs rough so I have to turn it on and off again and it works fine. I took it back to the garage I bought it from (7 months ago), and the plugged it on with the code PO299 - Charge pressure control and said it needed a new turbo.. as the part wasn't available on it's own, so it needs a whole new unit. The turbo is a Borgwarner 03L253056R, and they quoted £1400 part and labour.

I took it to a friends garage who plugged it in, and got the same code. They manually inspected the turbo and the turbo is free, and seems ok. He seems to think the issue is electrical.

Can anyone advise the next step?

My mother had one of these. Noisy rough engine most of the time. She had issues similar. Has the battery ever been changed in it? Sometime a duff battery can throw up error codes.

If it was the turbo that had gone, you would know it - smoke from the exhaust, whining like a police car. A turbo gives more symptoms prior to failing.

Thanks. Definitely not battery though.

Also has a comstant beep sometimes, fuel pump?