Book time for removal of a S4 B5 manual gearbox?

adidasandy

Reaction score
As above, just wanted to know the book time and peoples experiences + times for removal of the gearbox aand evrthing else needed to remove it.
Also has anyone removed these on there back?

Andy

01E box is about 60-70 kilos, you will really struggle to remove/fit it on your back under the car tbh.

Reactions: adidasandy
I would'nt like to pull any A4 box out on my back so glad i have access to 7 two post ramps !

There not one off them garages near where you can pay to use there ramps and tools a sort of rent a ramp place lol someone on here had a good experience at one of them places !!

Unfortunately I'm awaiting my 4th shoulder op at the end of this month and I'm unable to do anything really. The reason why I asked the question is my mate has a garage and when I ask him how much I owe him he never gives me a price or it's just £20 here and there but I'm not a free loader and have a little money aside so I wish to pay him, his fitter said it took about 6-7 hours to get it out in total - will this be right?

7 hours for a garage does seem a little excessive just to remove the box, 4-5 would maybe be more realistic.

He said the exhaust was a pain to split as I'm replacing the downpipes, he also said the down pipes from the turbos was awkward as some of the bolts were impossible to see. The gu is great and helps me out loads as I pass him lots of work through my company but I would like to pay him but unsure of how much?
When I call round to see him when the box was out he just looked at me, and then walked away lol he never done done one before and said he wouldn't do one again Ha Ha.
Hope he's still going to put it back in when rebuilt.

He said it would have been easier to take engine out with box.

aye, if you pull the engine/box together you dont need to touch the downpipes until the engines on the floor which probably removes a lot of the hassle!

Yeah and I could have fitted new K04's whilst it was out but I would rather pull the engine out myself and enjoy the task. End of this year if my turbos last that long.

I did clutch and flywheel on a two post and took me iirc 3-4 hours and that was hungover ploding along lol !!

Book time is about 8 hours.

I just replaced my gearbox on axle stands the other week. Defo an engine out job without a ramp. I really struggled to lift the gearbox 1ft onto a box, no chance of doing it on your back, you'd kill yourself!

I'm crap with a spanner and it took me around 30 hours, but I was faffing with other little bits and wasted a lot of time scratching my head!

Bradderz_1988 if you can do a clutch and flywheel on a 2.7TT in 3-4 hours you got a job working for me buddy. ;-)

1.8TQS unfortunately would hate to pull a 2.7TT box out as space is quite limited on mine as it is had only ever done a 1.8 n/a before that i like gearboxes especially stripping them to find mangled teeth thats when it becomes fun lol

Book time is 10.5 hours it will be easyer to pull engine but cost a bit more todo as need to buy new oils and regas air con if you got it.