Bonnet Open

MikeParkin

It's my birthday
Reaction score
For some reason my car is now deciding to tell me the bonnet it still open. I have pushed the catches etc but to no avail, it's done this in the past but with a slam of the bonnet it was sorted.

Any ideas gents !

Faulty micro switch, or by slamming it you could have knocked something out of line!

Try tracing back the wire to the plug/connection and make sure it's connected tightly. You could also check to the height of the bonnet when closed! Get someone to sit in the car whilst the warning is on, then gently press the bonnest down near the latch and see if it goes off, could just be that it needs adjusting.

Press both rear corners by the window. Active bonnets on the S3

The hinge points on the bonnet are activated in the event of an accident. They fire the bonnet edge nearest the windscreen up not by a lot, so as a pedestrian goes up the bonnet and is directed up and over the windscreen. There's a possibility that they've moved up slightly. Both rear corners of the bonnet surface need to be pressed down into the engine bay just as you would do with the bonnet when you close it normally.

Reactions: MikeParkin
My A3 can be a bit temperamental if the bonnet has been open, you have to give it a good slam. I'll have to see if there is any adjustment on the switch on the slam panel.

So again my bonnet still says it's open I don't use the car much so it's been a while since I've used it.

Still can't see what the problem is, going to try the hinge points tonight when I get home. Struggling to see what else it could be as I've sprayed the connections with electrical spray but to no joy.

Haha I'm going to look tonight mate been really busy. I hope your advice works.

Tried the above and it's still the same, bonnet open.

I think I'm going to end up smashing the bonnet at this rate tried slamming it and nothing at all.

Is the bonnet 100% fully closed? I had an issue with my new A3 where the flap for the washer bottle was slightly off centre and it stuck out marginally into the seal for bonnet, which meant passenger side of bonnet was a few mm higher than driver side at front, you really had to look for it to notice

For some reason my car is now deciding to tell me the bonnet it still open. I have pushed the catches etc but to no avail, it's done this in the past but with a slam of the bonnet it was sorted.

Any ideas gents !

I had the same issue on my new car (received in December) and it had to go to Audi twice to get the issue sorted. They initially sorted the left catch, and then had to sort the right one when the fault came back after opening the bonnet once. They didn't replace any parts, but just made some adjustments.

Haven't had the issue since. I wouldn't recommend to slam the bonnet or push it too hard.

@MikeParkin. Sorry to drag this from the depths. What if anything came from your open bonnet mate? I'm taking it that you got it sorted.

I took the catches out as one was sticking open. Prayed with WD and oiled them up to loosen them up and is now spot on. What I did before the problem was I adjusted the bonnet rubber to line it up with the wings. I don't think it was catching properly.

Just take them off and have a mess around, I hate going to Audi.

Reactions: Leevr