1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Body kits

tyr382 Mar 28, 2018

1. tyr382

tyr382 Registered User

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are and experience with wide body kits
    Iv always hated the idea of having unproven aerodynamic body mods not to mention they are always made up of cheep fibre glass as to polyurethane or carbon. But besides that they do look pretty boss when done properly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Think the thing is it's like you say they're good when done properly but allot of kits aren't aren't a simple fit and end up falling apart.

Best thing to do is look at everything included in the kit and think about the amount of effort for each bit; for example wider rear arches usually need to be pop riveted or welded where as bumpers/bonnets should be a straight swap (and hopefully the aftermarket bits won't be lacking in quality).

4. Lord

Lord Registered User

There’s also the impact on resale value. You narrow your audience right down when you try to sell and a garage will often refuse a part-ex.

I always try to think how it will look in a few years. There’s very few body kits that stand the test of time. Both in terms of looks and quality.

I remember loads of people doing these 20 years ago then having huge rust problems beneath the surface where water collects due to a lack of wheel arches.

5. tyr382

tyr382 Registered User

Your both right
    It does lower resell value. I can’t help but shake my head on every S15 Silvia with those stupid *** snowplough body kits that never look good in any age. Thinking who the hell is going to buy that hunk of rubbish. But if it was done with metal and completed to a oem factory finish, I’d be sold
    My brother was was a panel beater back in the 90’s where they done a lot of metal fab flares and they looked awesome. Completely metal made it see it was from factory.
    But sadly I’ve never seen anyone use metal fabrication when installing body kits on modern cars. I’ve only really seen it in the hot rod and custom sector

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018
  6. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I like snowplough body kits on Silvia's :playful: guess it's just one of those things; everyone's got different opinions on what's good/bad worth more/less cash, I'd personally rather pay a couple quid more for a car with tasteful mods but that's subjective.

7. boffin486

boffin486 Registered User

'Back in the day', I put a Zakspeed Racing Arch kit onto my 1974 Mk II Capri. A lot of effort but I rather liked it. :yahoo: ASA486M.jpg