Bobby Singh's Audi S2 avant project

I'm tempted by the TFSI coils, but I'm trying to keep the car as standard as possible. However I guess at some point I will have to convert. As I not sure you can even buy the old style coils anymore.

I'm tempted by the TFSI coils, but I'm trying to keep the car as standard as possible. However I guess at some point I will have to convert. As I not sure you can even buy the old style coils anymore.
Best thing I done - I was changing plugs etc and the issue would go away for a bit, but since doing the TFSI coils no more issue. Power is smoother without any holding back or misfiring.
I understand there is something about keeping the car original, but if parts hard to find you will only end up installing used parts which are 27 years old plus wiring around heat sources is totally weak.

As mentioned previously I will do the injector wiring next - last thing I want is a lean event after spending 000's on the engine.

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing
Torque plate finally ready
Next is flywheel and clutch then it can all go to the machine shop for boring and balancing.

oT5tTXw.jpg

Had the front bumper off to take out the headlights as I had a spare plug not connected - turns out someone previously fitted headlights without level adjustment motors.
Would have been nice to fit them but they are pretty rare to find and the ones I have look brand new.

While the bumper was off I noticed the Fan resistor looked pretty poor and the connections looked worse.

Cleaned up well enough

sWf4UJP.jpg

819dweI.jpg

FqaKKZ1.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
SRE clutch for single mass flywheel:

UjX75Ij.jpg

oLIYhoC.jpg

Kgg6G6q.jpg

More parts from AT:
Timing belt tensioner, cover and front crank bolt (12.9)

FpPImjp.jpg

Door cil strips changed as old ones were broken and repaired with bathroom sealant:

TyNvVti.jpg

5E4vfjd.jpg

q9y8m1N.jpg

OB9jHIR.jpg

vCwsOaw.jpg

oUCBEbu.jpg

Been tuning the ECU recently and decided to mount the modified ecu with the emulator for on the fly tuning:

o6RgLul.jpg

Need to find a emulator for the boost chip at some point

Cheers

Reactions: B5NUT
Been tuning the RS2 turbo with 440cc injectors and it going pretty well:

• Love
Reactions: THQuattro, desertstorm and pelhamsdetailing
Sideskirt clips
Since I bought this car the body kit clips have been missing finally got around to sort this out:

Inserts - 8A0854955 (Audi Tradition sell them)
Caps - 8A0854953 still availble and used on S/RS2 and B5S4

The caps need a little trim on the legs as they need to go in deeper

OqYpr0J.jpg

edaqewX.jpg

CV joint
Since owning the car I've always had this clicking sound when turning - CV change

NQGe6Mj.jpg

8f3wI74.jpg

aDeGU2Q.jpg

No more clicking and a very easy job so now ordered the other side too :)

More parts arrived:

- Injector wiring loom repair items
- Sump baffle plates
- light single mass flywheel
- Nuts, bolts and studs

SvWiSNn.jpg

rriAODX.jpg

Reactions: B5NUT, desertstorm, Sandra and 1 other person
Have had this annoying fault with the doors not staying open and end up smashing in my leg when getting out. Looks like the bottom hinge is spring loaded and rides two cams.

New hinges are 120 euros etc from AT - managed to get all 4 doors complete with hinges, rubbers, windows, motors, mirrors etc for a very good price.

tHU4bwY.jpg

6NFLcwC.jpg

Hopefully another each job

Reactions: B5NUT
Haven't got pics but the hinges for the front doors are now changed and working well - nice to have doors that stay in place.

Tricky part is the adjustment but I found measuring the old hinge (has a big hex for adjustment behind the bolt) got me 95% there and then used a jack to lift the door with the 4 bolts on the slackened off.

Next the new engine and all the rest of the parts are at the machine shop

WCVN2Cp.jpg

They will bore the block using the torque plate
Keeping in mind the piston to wall clearance of 0.10mm

Everything will be balanced, washed and cleaned
I've asked to them machine the crank nose surface to ensure its true.

Ring gaps 0.40 top 0.45 second

Finally skim the deck.

In other news I bought a 7a head had it converted for turbo use, but it seems someone the past had repaired the exhaust stud thread and gone through:

lTkAlSR.jpg

eGjRflj.jpg

A1GPhPH.jpg

Seller said he'll replace it so waiting on him now

Cheers
Bobby

Haven't got pics but the hinges for the front doors are now changed and working well - nice to have doors that stay in place.

Tricky part is the adjustment but I found measuring the old hinge (has a big hex for adjustment behind the bolt) got me 95% there and then used a jack to lift the door with the 4 bolts on the slackened off.

Next the new engine and all the rest of the parts are at the machine shop

WCVN2Cp.jpg

They will bore the block using the torque plate
Keeping in mind the piston to wall clearance of 0.10mm

Everything will be balanced, washed and cleaned
I've asked to them machine the crank nose surface to ensure its true.

Ring gaps 0.40 top 0.45 second

Finally skim the deck.

In other news I bought a 7a head had it converted for turbo use, but it seems someone the past had repaired the exhaust stud thread and gone through:

lTkAlSR.jpg

eGjRflj.jpg

A1GPhPH.jpg

Seller said he'll replace it so waiting on him now

Cheers
Bobby
Bobby do you have garage I can visit a4 3.0 cab 07 no dpf remapped would like to go to 320bhp or slightly more regards Stephen. Guildford

Changed the passenger side CV joint - I might do the inners at some point:

vPVBKGC.jpg

Sump baffle plate prep work:

Stock
heiogXK.jpg

Work in progress
xSJQgpC.jpg

TtJUsKr.jpg

sPHRIGz.jpg

51yQbri.jpg

6G0OcHh.jpg

p1UkwaX.jpg

The plates now just need welding in next

Reactions: B5NUT, NHN and desertstorm
Baffle plates still need to be welded but in I've been making progress in other area's

Speedo stopped working
Checked the wiring and could not see any issues.
Ended up changing the speed sensor and reflowed the joints and seems be working again:

jGvka69.jpg

KG2tNlg.jpg

zWFml41.jpg

Reactions: B5NUT and NHN
Nice soldering.

Reactions: bobby singh
Engine /Machine progress

Block decked & bored:

73iES0U.jpg

J2xfNIh.jpg

Front pulley bolt:

So the pulley and crank (diesel) requires a longer bolt, just for information I mailed Febi and they confirmed this as a 11.9 tensile.
I later got the item from TPS which I suspect is 11.9
Stock ABY - 65mm long 12.9
Diesel AEL - 110mm long 11.9

SNEvO5E.jpg

03bhBHb.jpg

Head repair:

So the seller of the head didn't want to replace or repair the head so decided to get it done myself.

7528Pzb.jpg

You see how out line the previous repair was:

Yi9aWCJ.jpg

2ClpiVA.jpg

0nMdcMB.jpg

Done:

kTlolsX.jpg

6jzPZ1A.jpg

mHBo4bb.jpg

• Love
Reactions: B5NUT, desertstorm, S4 Muzza and 2 others
Love the precision.

Balancing

VSHlg14.jpg

jMB3jGA.jpg

Hn4BKuv.jpg

R0qjR0c.jpg

7nOpLHw.jpg

Report:

86EHmLS.png

The only thing that didn't need any balancing was the flywheel
Sachs clutch, cranks fluid filled pulley etc all needed balancing

Reactions: B5NUT and NHN
Great work, That's a really professional fix for that issue on head. Most people would have just drilled a slot in the manifold and left it at that. Those ring gaps look quite small is that stock ring gap numbers?

Balancing

VSHlg14.jpg

jMB3jGA.jpg

Hn4BKuv.jpg

R0qjR0c.jpg

7nOpLHw.jpg

Report:

86EHmLS.png

The only thing that didn't need any balancing was the flywheel
Sachs clutch, cranks fluid filled pulley etc all needed balancing
Is this your handy work or a company?

Great work, That's a really professional fix for that issue on head. Most people would have just drilled a slot in the manifold and left it at that. Those ring gaps look quite small is that stock ring gap numbers?
Thanks Karl - trying to do the best job possible for this motor
Stock ring gap is 0.15 to 0.35mm with wear limit at 1mm

Engine back home

J3Ajk77.jpg

Cranks cleaned and polished

Trjf4nx.jpg

LSdnJpU.jpg

Warning when cleaning the mains threads note there is a one way valve which keeps the oil in the head. When running the tap down you will hit this unless you remove it

HmW9AMv.jpg

Block painted

iAuAG1O.jpg

ANhwsRK.jpg

New valve, deck pins and thread adaptor for the oil pressure gauge (AAN block just has a bung there)

j6k4duz.jpg

Rings installed:

hDp81uq.jpg

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing and desertstorm
Had a nice RS3 come in for some work - perfect opportunity to take some pic's Old Vs new 5 pots :)

49xCUQQ.jpg

XcRkRTS.jpg

RS3 drives very nice and DQ500 is on point but lacks the excitement of the s2 (for me at least)

Reactions: desertstorm
Some time I changed the driver side front door strip as it was falling apart.
Recently I noticed the others weren't too great so another order to Audi Tradition and changed them all

jq84cYq.jpg

Gave a good opportunity to clear the mud etc

Managed to get my hands on a under tray, turns out to be a RS2 item.
From what I can see it should fit with some minor mods to the bumper for the screw holes
I believe the stock s2 bumper had plastic holders in which the undertray would slide on too so the screws seem more stable.

tFoH50Q.jpg

Well it was going too smoothly right.
Went to put the crank in and tighten up the mains to 75nm (recommended settings for the 12.9 bolts) and the crank got tight.
Measured the journals from the S2 crank to the Diesel and they were 1:1
Measured the bearings all ok there too.
Put the S2 crank in with old bearings and old bolts at 65nm and the crank turned but still not that free.

Went back to the machine shop and they measured the journals with a bore gauge and noticed the bore was getting tight after torqueing the bolts down.
Its looking like I need line boring done to fix this.

In the meantime found out that 1.9PD (ARL) mains bolts are 12.9 & 80mm long (same as the S2 ones) which have a torque setting of 65nm plus 90deg.
So line boring will be done with diesel bolts next.
Mains bolts diesel bolts are N90889701 rated at 12.9

Its never straight forward

Last edited:
Reactions: B5NUT and desertstorm
That's very strange about the main caps Bobby. Have to ask the question, you did have them in the correct order and the correct orientation. I am sure you double checked everything. I use the 12.9 PD main bolts in my 1.8T. The stock 1.8T mains are 10.9 and the 2.0 TFSI use the same bolts as the PD150.

That's very strange about the main caps Bobby. Have to ask the question, you did have them in the correct order and the correct orientation. I am sure you double checked everything. I use the 12.9 PD main bolts in my 1.8T. The stock 1.8T mains are 10.9 and the 2.0 TFSI use the same bolts as the PD150.
Hey Karl I got a sneaky feeling the vinegar has attacked the surfaces when I cleaned the block up. Once the attached area is cleaned up it should be fine - but its just my theory without any evidence.

Reactions: desertstorm
Is this just a trickle charger Bobby? Straight forward to use? I need to invest in something for my B5, it often struggles when I don’t drive it for 3/4 weeks at a time.

Hi
Is this just a trickle charger Bobby? Straight forward to use? I need to invest in something for my B5, it often struggles when I don’t drive it for 3/4 weeks at a time.
That's exactly what it is - nice and small approx £40 from Halfords

Reactions: S4 Muzza
Boot struts replaced

adw4oH1.jpg

Injector & Cam sensor loom replacement:

So over the years the wiring near heat source has started to break.

t431MKD.jpg

O7Wkhgr.jpg

iHnTRrA.jpg

k5OaUnk.jpg

D5ziFCD.jpg

Gd6bwIz.jpg

BP1vAx4.jpg

Used the following to make this:

AMP 2 way connectors with 90deg boots (inj plugs)
JPT 3 way connector kit (cam sensor)
Raychem DR-25-1/8 SPO 1m
Raychem DR-25-3/8 SPO 1m
Deutsch DTM06-12s-E007 connector kit
Deutsch DTM04-12P connector kit
Deutsch DTM06-3S-E007 connector kit
Deutsch DTM04-3P connector kit
M22759/32-22 air frame wire 1m

Terminals on oem wiring

uT0viiW.jpg

Test fit:
TGdlidv.jpg

CijfKBq.jpg

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing and desertstorm
VAG 60-2 REAR MAIN SEAL - cheap way to get 60-2 on the s2 engine:

mP7bR5B.jpg

Febi part numbers:

6S0MvSn.jpg

Cam sensor repair plug:

M4zQgne.jpg

bcihtIJ.jpg

aCzD9lH.jpg

New knock sensors, Speed sensor and CPS

BeZYbB1.jpg

Adjustable gears for the new engine

PJ34BRz.jpg

Cam sensor plug finally turned up:

0RLCFva.jpg

Rubber boots for the door switches replaced:

pLCJqq6.jpg

wb7XBbJ.jpg

Cluster repair

So I noticed both my fixing points on the cluster housing were broken, managed to get hold of a VDO B4 cluster from a Audi 80 which had one good fixing the other side I plastic welded a lug and then shaped it:

CgDslUa.jpg

0fzDsHJ.jpg

ZDHsxn7.jpg

rHTy3Er.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Engine building round 2
So the block is back from the line honing and crank was spining freely.
When the bearing clearance was measured again it was noted one journal was alittle tight @ 0.025mm.
It was decided to grind the crank a little.

Progress:

UU1e54B.jpg

zNQasCc.jpg

EDIFP2r.jpg

Check valve

kTaunS0.jpg

Here in this video you can see why if using arp stud and nut kit you would need to shorten the stud to avoid crushing the check valve

Jets all cleaned

lbEEjkV.jpg

Used set of PD bolts during the honing process show them stretched so put in a fresh set

5vBaYYj.jpg

New main bearings (didn't use other new set which had markings before the line honing)

f4QPiHU.jpg

ARP lube on the mains and tightened to 65nm plus 90deg

AeRQUvl.jpg

Success :)

Stock pistons Vs JE & rods

6KTAqS5.jpg

uKGjxUI.jpg

ARP stretch gauge on rod bolts

wVAiSrm.jpg

Oil pump check before install

Exf84C9.jpg

UWpK1sk.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Last edited:
Reactions: pelhamsdetailing and RyanJonS4
Exhaust manifold modified for 6 egt probes (1 for each cylinder and 1 in the collector) and 1 emp boss

nm1vnN3.jpg

d6iWUkZ.jpg

FPDHWRu.jpg

60/2 rear crank seal

vyTeHk1.jpg

Decided to step away from the m232 - very good ECU but the lack of support was burning too much of my time
Maxx Race ECU with a plug n Play adaptor with stock knock sensors, EVAP & HVAC signal.
Finally a spare 5v ign channel for the trip computer fuel usage signal are connected

4HWOrjx.jpg