Bobby Singh A4 3.0 TDI build thread

Peugeot 3008 steering wheel

With the Peugeot flat top similar to an AMG C 63 , with the Pug you see over the top of the steering wheel to the dials as apposed to through .

Just changed the steering wheel in the TT also a flat bottom item. Bought a cheap Seat Ibiza Cupra item off fleabay in almost new condition for £50, No airbag as they are too heavy. Made an aluminium plate to mount a horn button and my push to pass "Race mode" buttons and covered the aluminium in some black sticky back plastic.
Some Aliexpress aluminium paddle extenders and it's not looking too bad. All connected to the ECU through a different clock spring with more connections on it. Just need some decent weather in February and I will hopefully be able to get the new box in.
DSC 6160

Reactions: joe26 and bobby singh
Gear knob arrived - part number 8K2713139S

WGIsqc4.jpg

HMOsldj.jpg

JXB performance bearing carrier arrived in case the stock one gives up again:

4X0G34V.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, Horia and mdmay
January 2021

R110 fuel pump finally running, as per my post in Jan 2020 I've been trying to get this pump running.
I had it running but during high rail pressure it would leak causing the Vee to become a swimming pool.

Here are some pics during the development

Custom gearbox pump plate:
qn6Rzdn.jpg

Rail pressure output valve changes:
Fhmv57J.jpg

R110 pump:
LUKpBtk.jpg

Even thought about custom gears to spin the pump faster:
I52JDbU.jpg

After long last R110 is now working without leaks.
Thanks to @Horia for his support and many others who support me through other social media sites.

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, Misikee, pelhamsdetailing and 2 others
Febuary 2021
Sourced a 4 bar boost gauge in preparation for some more boost https://www.aetmotorsport.com/products/turbosmart-gauge-electric-boost-only-4-bar
Moved the boost gauge to the pillar pod gauges and the turbo speed gauge to the centre vent.

Gauge comes with a pressure sensor which I mounted in the EGR blanking plate
r8CAZjE.jpg

rnyDruM.jpg

heK63js.jpg

7VXhrIP.jpg

7ItCOEp.jpg

Cylinder pressure tool arrived finally - Very expensive sensor:

WKvqyxL.jpg

Etq5Mqz.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, pelhamsdetailing and Horia
Looking good Bobby, I put my gauges on the right side of the vent, a little closer to see them but I don't get the centre vent. Good thinking putting yours on the left hand side. Very useful tool, to measure peak cylinder pressures and there relationship to crank angle.
IMG 1719

Reactions: bobby singh and Horia
I had a quote from Kistler measurements for a cylinder pressure sensor, and you're right not cheap at all.

Reactions: Horia
Looking good Bobby, I put my gauges on the right side of the vent, a little closer to see them but I don't get the centre vent. Good thinking putting yours on the left hand side. Very useful tool, to measure peak cylinder pressures and there relationship to crank angle.
View attachment 216376

Thanks Karl - having the tool is one thing but with no real limit for when the heads will lift or crack pistons you have to take calculated guesses, having small injectors do not help cylinder pressures. On that note most of these big power projects are short lived unless you consider the pressures. Currently I would say anything over 900nm will result in cracked pistons with stock compression ratio. I've known someone to lift heads and crack pistons with 450hp / 900nm on long high speed runs.

I had a quote from Kistler measurements for a cylinder pressure sensor, and you're right not cheap at all.

Yep its not really a end user style of tool - more for R&D but without you have no idea where you are. Its clear the impact duration, boost and timing has on cylinder pressures

March 2021

Been spending some time on pushing the engine further and making decent progress.
I've installed a injector current clamp and now can see the injection events per cycle:
K8mWkMW.png

Learning a lot from this tool for example x deg timing can add y bar of cylinder pressure depending on RPM - having big injectors is a must.

Turbo is now pretty much max (safe limit) and emp is now in the positive range, so measured the exhaust back pressure (still using the stock system apart from the downpipe) and it showed a peak figure of 450mbar.

Looking at the stock back boxes you can see Audi engineers put some thought into the design:

lMVKhSK.jpg

As a test I decided to open the second port on the back boxes:

Nka59MO.jpg

6h9lUUK.jpg

Welded in a 90deg 57mm elbow - JEEZ wow its so loud haha totally unbearable.
End result was 60mbar drop - hardly worth the effort and rather save my ears so will be welding that back up.

Will look into the rest of the system to see if I can gain any flow, but so far I see no benefit of changing the back boxes.

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, joedredd and pelhamsdetailing
Bobby awesome to see some R110 development on these engines. Did you ever consider using a denso hp4 pump?

Custom pistons with a larger dish would be the dream to get the compression ratio down but haven't found anyone willing to commit to drawings yet.

Through my research with these injectors it doesnt seem to be nozzles that are the major restriction, rather the injector bodies themselves. I suspect that there's injectors from a bmw are extremely similar but flow alot more.

I find the CP3 compact in size and did not want to make a new inlet manifold so stuck with cp3, its a tight fit to even get this in.
I can supply pistons if you need ( funny enough I received a email about low comp pistons so maybe that was you?)
Injectors modified internally and nozzles are larger.

Cheers

Reactions: martinivw
Ahh for some reason I thought the hp4 was smaller than a cp3r110

Wasn't me im not quite up to needing pistons just yet... I hope. My dl501 won't take anymore than 750nm at the moment

I'm still searching for bigger oem injectors to keep duration down but retain a nice oem duration table. Bitdi ones dont fit do they?

Cheers

Ahh for some reason I thought the hp4 was smaller than a cp3r110

Wasn't me im not quite up to needing pistons just yet... I hope. My dl501 won't take anymore than 750nm at the moment

I'm still searching for bigger oem injectors to keep duration down but retain a nice oem duration table. Bitdi ones dont fit do they?

Cheers
Whats you target power? I have injectors in stock
Drop me a email - BobbySinghRacing@outlook.com

Hi Bobby,

Just sent you an email regarding my BiTDI. Not sure whether it ended up in your junk box. Would love to get your advice on getting my A6 BiTdi tuned.

Reactions: Paul battams and bobby singh
Hi Bobby. Great build thread. Pushing boundaries. Do you have any success mapping the b9 3.0tdi 272 compared to the b7/b8? Thanks

Hi Mike - yes done a hybrid turbo on a 2020 Q7 alot more work on these but yes can be done.
Cheers
Bobby
Any idea what boost and gaf g/s a remapped one on a standard turbo would pull.
I've got mine and apart from sounding like an s4 (previous owner put full exhaust system on) on logging it peaked at 37psi boost and just over 300g/s on maf. Feels strong if it's not mapped

Any help appreciated

March / April 2021

Well the second port got welded up:
XhA4uZx.jpg

The hunt for a exhaust solution continued objective being
- Slient (as can be)
- no droning
- Good fitment

Decided on a RS4 exhaust 2 x 65mm pipe work with built in valves
sKB8vaV.png

Stock 3.0TDI 1x65 to 2 x 54mm
3xgplAB.jpg

76mm to 2x65mm adaptor
OAZ47ay.jpg

A4BSpRk.jpg

Note additional mount is required for the centre box and I had the whole flexi section made in 76mm

Diffuser drama
gycbZ00.jpg

So I wanted to go with a RS4 rear diffuser but it seems none are available for a S line model.
Went to a exhaust place they suggested pointing the inner back box tip downwards and then building a tip with suitable bends for the stock diffuser.

oAlJyoi.jpg

Somehow I didn't like that idea and after speaking with a few people I decided to so with a S4 diffuser, idea being the exhaust opening is larger to suit the twin tips of the RS4 box.
Still needed some tips and scanning through ebay I found some C7 RS6 tips for cheap money :)

gMyUdna.jpg

FrX3HWB.jpg

JBfKLLt.jpg

Old diffuser off and vac lines for the valves ran:

WbCvHAf.jpg

fKhe8EY.jpg

As the RS6 tips are open back I tack welded the tips into the correct position and then made a back plate for both sides and welded them - tips are now stronger than the rest of the exhaust!!

9RzwAnj.jpg

nHtw3DH.jpg

dVEfAox.jpg

Very pleased with the end result and a perfect solution for still keeping the car civil.

Purchased this vac unit for the exhaust flap control - works good enough:

Performance
So to recap the back pressure with stock exhaust was 458mbar and with the RS4 exhaust and 76mm flexi section we have 24mbar.
This resulted in 50 deg EGT drop - very impressive and gives further scope for more fuel.

The only disadvantage is weight - the RS4 with its additional centre box and larger pipes does add weight but I can live that to save my ears.

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, CupraDine, Horia and 3 others
Looking good Bobby, quieter, less back pressure, lower EGT's,looks sporty, didn't cost an arm and a leg . Win,win win.

Reactions: bobby singh
Any idea what boost and gaf g/s a remapped one on a standard turbo would pull.
I've got mine and apart from sounding like an s4 (previous owner put full exhaust system on) on logging it peaked at 37psi boost and just over 300g/s on maf. Feels strong if it's not mapped

Any help appreciated
Read the ECU or check out the flash count - put it on the dyno.
Comparing ECU read with a stock file is the best way

Reactions: Shock_Xe
Looking good Bobby, quieter, less back pressure, lower EGT's,looks sporty, didn't cost an arm and a leg . Win,win win.
Thanks Karl - design thought given to a OEM exhaust is unmatched in the aftermarket imo they manage to produce flow without blowing your ears off

Turns out my car has a mild map. Around 300bhp and 500lbft . No tcu flash either. Given its got a turbo back exhaust. Missed performance opportunity and low numbers???

New barrier broken today everyone Feel free to share it out :)

603hp / 1080nm (800lbft)

Reactions: sebastian.grosiu, martinivw, g00se and 12 others
April 2021
A good friend of mine put together this video for me - hope you you enjoy it:

Reactions: joe26, g00se, Devilz and 6 others
Congratulations Bobby, amazing results, I'm sure there has been an unbelievable amount of work gone into this behind the scenes, a true credit to your hardwork and dedication!

I gave up looking for a v6 diesel and ended up with an S5 instead haha

Congratulations Bobby, amazing results, I'm sure there has been an unbelievable amount of work gone into this behind the scenes, a true credit to your hardwork and dedication!

I gave up looking for a v6 diesel and ended up with an S5 instead haha

Thanks Chris - S5 are nice just the fuel cost is a nightmare and you have to rev the nuts of them to make them move. I drove a 500hp S5 and just missed the torque from the diesel. Either way once it was at 6k to 7k rpm you are moving well :D

Reactions: martinivw and Cjman17
November 2021

Not much has been done to the car apart boost/EGT gauge change

74Cljah.jpg

Can be programmed as required:
58LAaJJ.jpg

Longer probe
28pAckN.jpg

Custom support bracket
czJyCLR.jpg

CEODhpZ.jpg

In the meantime for those who may not know check out my S2 thread:

Cheers

Reactions: martinivw, CupraDine and pelhamsdetailing
Phenomenonal , what smiles per gallon is it capable of Bobby ?

Plenty smiles
Just need to wash it more often - the S2 has taken over the workshop as I want to get it close to perfect before summer.
New injectors for the A4 are being worked on so maybe has a few more ponies in it - we'll see

Reactions: Cjman17, Sandra and martinivw
Slight improvement on the 60 time:

Still full weight but I think with more rev's (5.6k or so) time could be improved again

Reactions: martinivw, S3 Rav, Misikee and 2 others
That's a good 60ft time Bobby, Take it that was a brake boost launch.

That's a good 60ft time Bobby, Take it that was a brake boost launch.
Thanks Karl yes indeed brake boost. Yesterday I was working on a Bitdi and I compared the difference between LC (3k rpm limiter with no load) Vs brake boost and its made a difference of 0.4’s to 60.
Obviously brake boost generates load / boost so improves times etc.

Reactions: martinivw and desertstorm