Bobby Singh A4 3.0 TDI build thread

Yeah I have been running CCWA injectors on my BKN for two years now. Just wondering if they have any spray angle/pattern. Was really pain in the *** to make them work
Spray angle is 1:1 (same pistons - mahle cast number is same)

Reactions: Horia and V6_Man
May 2020

Not much to report slow progress however new custom injectors arrived and decided to go with cast manifolds. I've not had any issues with the stainless manifolds as I run low egt's, but I rather not risk the turbo if I push things a little further.

AR7FgDD.jpg

Lv3GiiZ.jpg

85zCOqi.jpg

Part numbers for the manifolds are:

059253034P
059253033P
059131789N

As you can see they fit the stock 2260 Y collector perfectly

B3UvGjc.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, Horia, V6_Man and 1 other person
Excellent work Bobby, is it excessive EGTs that usually cause the original manifolds to fail? What else needs to be done before before the engine is ready for the car?

Yes I believe its excessive EGT's or early poor design.
Engine is pretty much ready :)

Reactions: pelhamsdetailing, Horia, Bishop187 and 1 other person
June & July 2020

Well the new engine finally made it in but not without a fight. Engine swaps on these cars is a big job and I wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry.

Front end off:
dv2qIKJ.jpg

zdBwyUt.jpg

Old engine finally out:
P3CVx2q.jpg

fEQoNch.jpg

Used this opportunity to repair my engine loom with another 3.0TDI wiring harness

rXsI5JZ.jpg

Vanes all cleaned out
3xjf8Ma.jpg

Swapping parts over
4QO5XQo.jpg

Nasty boost leak found too (repaired this and provided better support - see below)
G3iYSKg.jpg

All new mounts:
Passenger side (middle in the picture) mount was worn pretty bad
Hxici1t.jpg

Starter motor located in the most painful location and this yellow rubber seal can be a struggle to get into place:
QZX2x7g.jpg

So to change the starter one would have to remove the front end off and remove the engine mount.

New engine finally in:
2O1n8S8.jpg

New heat shield made up to protect the intercooler pipe
4FtVVJW.jpg

Well ran the engine for around 30miles and after rerouting pipework I decided to wash the engine down. Took it for another drive and got oil level sensor fault ummm. Looked after the dip and the oil wasn't right - yep water in the oil.
Removed the oil and coolant from the engine fitted the level sensor from the old engine - put 7 litres of oil and measured 51mm on the level - added water and noticed the oil level increased opps. At the same time, I noticed the Vee area was getting wet.

Stripped down the whole vee area and ordered every new gasket and seal for the base plate and decided to use parts from original engine as they had no issues etc:

3a8GEw6.jpg

lR4r9lL.jpg

rjuRMoS.jpg

Old gasket rusted through

9lQ6m0A.jpg

New seals:

5Ja8wS1.jpg

New support bracket

RjXXtcx.jpg

Yv0yIEM.jpg

Touch wood engine appears to fine again.

gLI5l9w.jpg

I have more updates - will post them in the coming days

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, V6_Man, pelhamsdetailing and 7 others
Excellent work Bobby, :)

Reactions: bobby singh
I was wondering how come I can t see the a4 in the front of your house anymore:)

That is incredible. To do all of that, in my eyes, is really, really admirable and impressive. I am looking forward to seeing more updates on this!

Reactions: martinivw, spartacus68 and bobby singh
Thanks for the support everyone

July 2020

Well with the engine in and running - plenty of time has been spent on getting the duration map calibrated correctly.After which I have been chasing my tail for weeks trying to workout why my rail pressure is no longer stable (bad osolation) and rail pressure low events for example it would dip for 0.5s with injecting 100mg and again after 4.5k.

Check the feed pressure and it was showing 10 bar plus - light bulb moment :)

10 bar plus

Freed up the fuel pressure relief valve and got a stable 6 bar this fixed the osolation issue but still kept getting these low pressure events.

6 bar

Changed the HPFP back to the R90 - same issue
Changed the PCV same issue
Changed the rail (in case the seat was bad - same issue
At this point started to think maybe one of the injectors are leaking off too much fuel and causing the dips in Rail Pressure.

As a last hope I swapped out the metering unit and now rail pressure tracks perfectly - This is at 100ms sample rate.

In other news as I plan to keep the car I've invested in this kit for car play:

2VDsrzm.jpg

Rwp1sMf.jpg

Install to follow...

Cheers
Bobby

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, joedredd, pelhamsdetailing and 1 other person
Aug 2020

Installed the Unique Auto kit and be honest I didn't like it:
1) MMI2G display is low res so the car play didn't look right
2) Using Car Play meant in the background you were controlling the Nav and sometime it would be in a mess if you returned back to it
3) Reverse camera didn't work for me very well wasn't getting CAN siganl when reverse was selected

So in the end found a guy who did the whole MMI3G Plus upgrade - new 2020 Nav maps, better display, dab radio, 60gb hdd, 2 x sd slots, Bluetooth streaming (all oem):

EUCiuEx.jpg

8zQ3pqh.jpg

Old MMI2G High:
hwaUcgj.jpg

Next is AMI cable to the glovebox and OEM reverse camera

Costco's had a really good deal on tyres so went for some Michelin PS4

AkQHgh5.jpg

Armed with new tyres I went for a quick test, seems the wheels still spin at 60mph:

Current engine power is unknown but seems to going well :)

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: V6_Man, martinivw, Paul battams and 2 others
Reactions: martinivw, pelhamsdetailing, RobinA3 and 2 others
October 2020

Been working closely with a developer that does cylinder pressure monitoring and using the Beru PSG it seems I've maxed that out at 230bar. Now looking at a pro solution used by OEM's for a sensor that can read more and comes correctly calibrated - more to follow on this...
In the meantime opened an account with Bilsten and ordered a B16 kit with wifi/bluetooth ride control, for quick access it comes with a button which can be used to toggle between comfort, sport and sport +

Here are some pictures:

garjLBG.jpg

PNhjgbx.jpg

D5IxrQm.jpg

EkVTKb6.jpg

GE9vGyR.jpg

Controller mounted behind the glove box

cE0iAl1.jpg

Fronts wired via the inner arch loom

SxSTjOI.jpg

Sports button

AjcQBBu.jpg

2x2WU8D.jpg

rqLMFio.jpg

kXbkHJd.jpg

New top mounts

f4bVPsP.jpg

1tcKFqo.jpg

Rears wired

xyCOC27.jpg

After driving these around I would totally recommend them, in comfort mode the suspension is like a SE model and Sports is harder than stock S line and sport plus is for track, but again you can adjust the presets to how you like it.
I need to increaase the height as Im not a fan of cars too low but I will tweak the suspension in a week or so once it settles down.

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: joedredd, V6_Man, desertstorm and 6 others
You have been busy Bobby. Keep up the good work. :)

October 2020

Been working closely with a developer that does cylinder pressure monitoring and using the Beru PSG it seems I've maxed that out at 230bar. Now looking at a pro solution used by OEM's for a sensor that can read more and comes correctly calibrated - more to follow on this...
In the meantime opened an account with Bilsten and ordered a B16 kit with wifi/bluetooth ride control, for quick access it comes with a button which can be used to toggle between comfort, sport and sport +

Here are some pictures:

garjLBG.jpg

PNhjgbx.jpg

D5IxrQm.jpg

EkVTKb6.jpg

GE9vGyR.jpg

Controller mounted behind the glove box

cE0iAl1.jpg

Fronts wired via the inner arch loom

SxSTjOI.jpg

Sports button

AjcQBBu.jpg

2x2WU8D.jpg

rqLMFio.jpg

kXbkHJd.jpg

New top mounts

f4bVPsP.jpg

1tcKFqo.jpg

Rears wired

xyCOC27.jpg

After driving these around I would totally recommend them, in comfort mode the suspension is like a SE model and Sports is harder than stock S line and sport plus is for track, but again you can adjust the presets to how you like it.
I need to increaase the height as Im not a fan of cars too low but I will tweak the suspension in a week or so once it settles down.

Cheers
Bobby
Amazing work! :)

Thank Sandra - working from home saves travel time :)

Sure does Bobby. Saving you money and gives you lots of time for tea and working on the car. Looking forward to the next update. :)

Really happy the way this has turned out - the handling and ride quality is the best I've experienced for a car that's lowered.

TPPP0o2.jpg

Reactions: V6_Man, Nathan Hiley, martinivw and 3 others
November 2020

Not much has changed, but Im getting issues with the hpfp so revert back to the R90 item and started some mods on that (more to follow).
Rear camera is now working:

Nh7gJJ0.jpg

First timed run on the new engine and its showing promising results - I don't know of any other 3.0tdi doing the 100 to 200 any quicker with full weight.
Things to note are this was the only single test I managed
Gear change into 5th seems to show a dip in acceleration - should be fixable
Full weight with 60l of diesel in the tank

Wuew6P1.png

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, Nathan Hiley, V6_Man and 5 others
December 2020

Gave the car to my cousin from TeamSPB who also runs a car detailing business called "Reflective Detail".
Main objective was to make a custom gauge pod for the turbo shaft speed, however while he had it he asked if I needed it back in a rush...I replied with a nervious no.
But wow he gave me a amazing surprise with a level of detail I've only read about. Im not really sure which combo of pads, wax, sealant etc he used but the job is the best I've seen.

Gauge pod:
olgSFCR.jpg

FX0VdXN.jpg

b0DGtlo.jpg

fBCCwdh.jpg

sCz5gEX.jpg

Jf5qPfz.jpg

LHxOH9c.jpg

PeywqSd.jpg

fqPwVEd.jpg

FaQCwlI.jpg

lZIZJAD.jpg

3wbAoLS.jpg

mzhszR6.jpg

Detail inside:
hZHtahW.jpg

s7aQmQq.jpg

bawI2p4.jpg

vPwyRPF.jpg

3BUtR36.jpg

before:
7nZlrjJ.jpg

295Ekch.jpg

khkwjJh.jpg

oR3TeXB.jpg

8jeOPNH.jpg

kGf0Sys.jpg

ktujtIq.jpg

c7mFBqW.jpg

Inprogress:
P3IHsWk.jpg

b5VuygV.jpg

xDXw2gx.jpg

gAPhSwA.jpg

Dry7ma5.jpg

bnGiV4G.jpg

cUMvwbG.jpg

wo3Bzol.jpg

989e2pX.jpg

iqIsTUM.jpg

Finish:
wfI7dmx.jpg

4KxeyZm.jpg

25PKbC5.jpg

rW2Wm4c.jpg

wl7jCrt.jpg

zOm1ZLF.jpg

u5W9ta6.jpg

TNIWeyN.jpg

1sIO8QD.jpg

WLlmN0R.jpg

XmEOb0m.jpg

Little video:

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, ruairi83, Horia and 8 others
Car looks great and that is a ****** good colour.

Reactions: V6_Man and bobby singh
Geeze Bobby that's almost as shiney as the top of my head.

Reactions: martinivw, V6_Man, Horia and 1 other person
Car looks great and that is a ****** good colour.
Yes I agree its rare colour and in the sun looks great

Geeze Bobby that's almost as shiney as the top of my head.
Karl my coffee hit the monitor when I read this haha
Hope you are keeping well mate

Reactions: martinivw and desertstorm
Yes keeping well Bobby.Waiting for some nice weather to get this DSG gearbox in the TT and hopefully get a few more track days in next year. probably take it to Santa pod and see how much easier it is to go fast with an auto rather than a manual :) .

Reactions: martinivw and bobby singh
Yes keeping well Bobby.Waiting for some nice weather to get this DSG gearbox in the TT and hopefully get a few more track days in next year. probably take it to Santa pod and see how much easier it is to go fast with an auto rather than a manual :) .

Karl check this link out its very impressive work http://www.dsg-corrado.de/

Reactions: desertstorm
Hey Bobby, been trying to cover all over your threads to see what I need to do to get numbers like yours from your A4. I’ve got a 2006 A4 3.0tdi auto, what’s the best list of mods I’ll need, been looking at Revo tune but more than happy to follow the line you’ve taken and go by what you say! Many many thanks in advance..

Hey Bobby, been trying to cover all over your threads to see what I need to do to get numbers like yours from your A4. I’ve got a 2006 A4 3.0tdi auto, what’s the best list of mods I’ll need, been looking at Revo tune but more than happy to follow the line you’ve taken and go by what you say! Many many thanks in advance..
Hello mate best to drop me a email, however I generally find the B7's too expensive to tune they have poor injectors, weak clutches and the BV50 units have limited upgrades available.
I have done one with a hybrid from a "big diesel tuning company" but that unit started failing within a few months, I had to get the chra remachined and cost way too much in the end

If you really wanted to stick with the B7's I would put a 2260vk unit on it - I have done some work on that a few years ago so I know what to do to get it working - https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/bv50-turbo-pwm-acuator-on-a-2260vk.429600/post-5239187

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, Horia and Paul battams
Hello.
I am sorry for polluting your thread but i want to do an injector upgrade on older 3.0 v6 tdi 2007 bun/bks engine.

Is it plug and play if i swap to newer injectors? Example 059 130 277 BE 1800 BAR
It needs software mod?

Thank you!

Well well well, there's a surprise!

I start looking into 3.0 tdi tuning and the first thing I come across is a Bobby Singh build thread! Impressive reading mate!

Come a long way since you, me and Ray did the 2260's!

Going to be in the market for a new car in a few months, I'm thinking maybe an A5 or A7, probably around 6 years old. Looks like I might have to put some business your way hahaha.

Hope you and the family are well mate!

Hello.
I am sorry for polluting your thread but i want to do an injector upgrade on older 3.0 v6 tdi 2007 bun/bks engine.

Is it plug and play if i swap to newer injectors? Example 059 130 277 BE 1800 BAR
It needs software mod?

Thank you!

No problem yes ideally you should tune them in but they should work well enought to get the car running.

Well well well, there's a surprise!

I start looking into 3.0 tdi tuning and the first thing I come across is a Bobby Singh build thread! Impressive reading mate!

Come a long way since you, me and Ray did the 2260's!

Going to be in the market for a new car in a few months, I'm thinking maybe an A5 or A7, probably around 6 years old. Looks like I might have to put some business your way hahaha.

Hope you and the family are well mate!

WOW Chris it must be 10 years - How you been?
Family is ok growing up fast mate
How is everything on your side?
Let me know what you decide to get and I'm sure we can sort something out.
Good to hear from you

Cheers

Reactions: Vlad91
WOW Chris it must be 10 years - How you been?
Family is ok growing up fast mate
How is everything on your side?
Let me know what you decide to get and I'm sure we can sort something out.
Good to hear from you

Cheers

Yes mate, it'll be 10 years in Feb I think, since we were at the rolling road day in Leicester, feels like a lifetime ago!

All good here mate, not had a decent car for a long time though, been driving various Nissans from work lol

I'm just reading up on a few bits, I'm definitely out of touch haha

Yes mate, it'll be 10 years in Feb I think, since we were at the rolling road day in Leicester, feels like a lifetime ago!

All good here mate, not had a decent car for a long time though, been driving various Nissans from work lol

I'm just reading up on a few bits, I'm definitely out of touch haha

I started a channel sometime ago https://www.youtube.com/c/BobbySinghRacing - gives some idea whats possible with various spec's etc
Hybrid turbos have progressed well over the last 5 years or so.
2260VK hybrids do around 420 to 430hp 850nm plus
2260VZK's can do between 430 to 450hp / 900nm plus
GTD2060VZ hybrid is currently under test but should be 400hp plus with DPF

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw
I started a channel sometime ago https://www.youtube.com/c/BobbySinghRacing - gives some idea whats possible with various spec's etc
Hybrid turbos have come along way over the last 5 years or so.
2260VK hybrids do around 420 to 430hp 850nm plus
2260VZK's can do between 430 to 450hp / 900nm plus
GTD2060VZ hybrid is currently under test but should be 400hp plus with DPF

There's my Sunday morning viewing sorted

I'll have a good look and try and get my head around it all!

Figures sound much more impressive than my last venture into hybrids :laughing:

Love the way the car sits, and just flicked back through the pages to see what wheel specs you've got! Was expecting it to be on spacers but no!!

January 2021

First modification of the year - Flat bottom steering wheel:

LwYUCbm.jpg

4ao5GwO.jpg

Feels faster already :)

Cheers
Bobby

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, DieselJake, Bishop187 and 4 others
They're great things giving some knee room .

Have you seen the steering wheels they put in Peugeots ?