Bobby Singh A4 3.0 TDI build thread

Did you do this with the engine in the car? Just remove the exhaust and turbo?

Are you writing transmission maps with the possibility of selling the maps or purely personal use? Cheers

Are you writing transmission maps with the possibility of selling the maps or purely personal use? Cheers

Im writing to get quicker 1/4 mile times as box is pretty lazy as stock. If it works sure I can sell them.
At owners risk off course :)
There is a notable difference for sure in gear change response.
Done plenty of S tronic boxes with good results for others.

Cheers

Reactions: martinivw
Im writing to get quicker 1/4 mile times as box is pretty lazy as stock. If it works sure I can sell them.

Cheers

Bobby what sort of differences are achived by remapping the S Tronic boxes?

Mine sits in ( drive select ) Auto most of the time and sometimes shift ups strangely!! In paddles its pretty good, does a remap make Auto more responsive?

Thanks

Bobby what sort of differences are achived by remapping the S Tronic boxes?

Mine sits in ( drive select ) Auto most of the time and sometimes shift ups strangely!! In paddles its pretty good, does a remap make Auto more responsive?

Thanks
All the stronic's I've done have had positive feedback. Most S tronic owners hate the 'lag' at the lights or engaging reverse for example.
Sometimes sw updates can help reduce this some what. Many things can be done like increased pressure, quicker changes etc etc

Whose is faster yours or Ashley's

Faster to what?
As far as I know Ash is claiming 520hp from a 2260 hybrid (AMG TW), with meth and nos?
Apart from a dyno I'm yet to see or hear about any timed runs.

I feel results on a different dyno like Surrey Rolling Road could highlight some differences

Cheers

Reactions: martinivw, DrStrange and V6_Man

Cheers
I currently have the 6hp28, seen DTUK do a tuning box for the trans which coveres DSG and Tip which im not sure on, just need faster gear changes, round town it spends too long in tc drive

September 2018

In preparation for some drag racing action. I found some private land and done some testing :)
Gearbox tune is working well:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArL0vJlh9wPJgSwGndNwBngw_0RU

Finally cracked sub 4s to 60mph (96km/h) ~ 3.9s
0 to 100 is 8.3's

I was looking at my 12.3s (best at Santa Pod 1/4 mile time logs and on that run I hit 0 to 100 in 9.79s so approx 1.5's quicker now

Should be interesting
Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, Horia, Meemo and 5 others
Have you adjusted the rev limit as well as speeded up the shifts.

Shift set point is still stock as in manual mode I can rev to over 5k - plenty

Seriously quick Bobby well done. That's supercar quick. Well super cars from 10-15 years ago but still seriously impressive for a very stock looking diesel estate.
http://www.autosnout.com/Cars-0-100mph-Times-List.php
Hope you don't blow the box up by doing too much brake boosting.

Cheers Karl - I was also impressed.
I think with some weight reduction it will do well on the strip.
There is a 800ms dip in the torque between gear change 1 to 2 - so fixing that will improve things further.

That link has some strange figures -
For example
Ford Capri RS 3100 - [1973]
0-100 mph time - 7.9 seconds

I grew up with old Fords and know this isn't happening :)

Cheers

Shift set point is still stock as in manual mode I can rev to over 5k - plenty

Cheers Karl - I was also impressed.
There is a 800ms dip in the torque between gear change 1 to 2 - so fixing that will improve things further.

That link has some strange figures -
For example
Ford Capri RS 3100 - [1973]
0-100 mph time - 7.9 seconds

I grew up with old Fords and know this isn't happening :)

Cheers
Your right.
1/4 mile time of 15.8 with a trap speed of 85.6. 0 to 60 comes up at 7.6.
:thumbs up:

Just out of interest where do you plan on loosing weight, I always thought the beauty of what you were doing was it all still looks and acts like a regular avant.

On my waist :)
Things like less than half a tank of juice etc all helps.
Car will be remaining a road car

Reactions: martinivw and toooldforboyracing
October 2018

Santa Pod trip

Well finally made it to Santa pod yesterday. Waited for 4 hours for the track to dry out, the queue was unbelieve considering it was a non event day.
Was hoping for more runs but someone fell off a bike :(

wDdae9t.jpg

Done 11.9 which I'm happy about, but I think there is more to be had, why?:

1) 20mph head wind
2) Car hooped (then bogged down) for some reason (maybe too much boost at take off) - see incar clip
3) Gear change from 1 to 2 took 1.1second, Rest took ~300ms
4) In the past my 60ft was around 1.7s but this time 1.9

Better gearbox software will help for sure (come on xHP)

Still pretty decent for a true daily driver I thought - drove there and back, no smoke, just diesel and air etc

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: martinivw, joe26, IRONy_MAN and 4 others
Sub 12 seconds for a diesel estate is great. The track still looked wet to me. I have been there in similar conditions to that in my Passat when it had been raining with a good stiff breeze blowing against you and I was well off the times I had done with a fully dry track and no wind.
Looks to me on the launch The fronts have spun up and the power has just then gone to the rear. You need a few runs to get the best time out of the car. What tyres do you have on the car?. With a dry track and no headwind and a good start think you should be in the low 11.7 I am sure.

Reactions: martinivw and bobby singh
I agree with desertstorm here Bobby, awesome numbers from a diesel estate. I am sure more runs would have given some better results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobby singh
Sub 12 seconds for a diesel estate is great. The track still looked wet to me. I have been there in similar conditions to that in my Passat when it had been raining with a good stiff breeze blowing against you and I was well off the times I had done with a fully dry track and no wind.
Looks to me on the launch The fronts have spun up and the power has just then gone to the rear. You need a few runs to get the best time out of the car. What tyres do you have on the car?. With a dry track and no headwind and a good start think you should be in the low 11.7 I am sure.
Thanks - Yes Karl I agree 11.7ish should be on the cards
Tyres - I think they are p zero nero
I guess the A5 wheel might be slighter heavier and the discs are for sure more weight compared with the previous S4 set up.

I agree with desertstorm here Bobby, awesome numbers from a diesel estate. I am sure more runs would have given some better results

Thanks - would you know what a stage 2 S4 does at santa pod? must be in the 11's too I guess

Cheers

Thanks - would you know what a stage 2 S4 does at santa pod? must be in the 11's too I guess

Cheers

Not too far off tbh. I haven't been to Pod myself but happy to accompany on your next visit. Imho, your numbers are better than what I have seen people report; 11.2-12.2 for their MRC, APR, Revo stage 2s. One such example below, which is a Revo Stage 1+ (hiding their names due to GDPR )

8fbc1d1e187e15037882e80e119edcb6.png

And from S4 Facebook page where I posted about larger TB developed by Issam Abed in US, which MRC will now start using for their DP setup.

23df10eb787468fcb885bc1d0ce093b5.png

Nicely done Bobby. XHP help to improve the gearbox would be a game changer. I have seen on our bmw how well you can optimize gear change
there is lot of room to improve the 60ft time, easily 0.2 with that nice track surface.

Nicely done Bobby. XHP help to improve the gearbox would be a game changer. I have seen on our bmw how well you can optimize gear change
there is lot of room to improve the 60ft time, easily 0.2 with that nice track surface.

Hi Mac - yes I'm expecting better results in the future. With Xhp you can set each gear change set point so rules out any human error for gear change etc

Cheers

September 2018

In preparation for some drag racing action. I found some private land and done some testing :)
Gearbox tune is working well:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArL0vJlh9wPJgSwGndNwBngw_0RU

Finally cracked sub 4s to 60mph (96km/h) ~ 3.9s
0 to 100 is 8.3's

I was looking at my 12.3s (best at Santa Pod 1/4 mile time logs and on that run I hit 0 to 100 in 9.79s so approx 1.5's quicker now

Should be interesting
Cheers
Bobby

Bought a Dragy gps device for measuring performance not had much of a chance to play with different RPM take off's but managed this so far:

8zJz7M3.png

This is with full weight etc

Its pretty clear the amount of torque reduction between gear changes - but still pulling just over 0.5g at 60mph.

Here is a JD "450hp" stage 3 for comparison whats clear is that the 8hp gearbox changes are more seamless:

UWwVwca.jpg

Cheers
Bobby

Reactions: desertstorm, JJRS, Roadrunner146 and 2 others
That is amazing, congratulations Bobby. I've lurked on here for ages watching various tdi builds and really impressed with what is possible. I definitely want to get mine sorted out!

Dragy is a good tool, i bought it also to measure. TQ reduction and delay in gear change is obvious on your graph. That gearbox needs improvement.
Got same problem with my leon dq500 :(, loosing 0.3 0.4s /gear change.

That is amazing, congratulations Bobby. I've lurked on here for ages watching various tdi builds and really impressed with what is possible. I definitely want to get mine sorted out!

Thanks

Dragy is a good tool, i bought it also to measure. TQ reduction and delay in gear change is obvious on your graph. That gearbox needs improvement.
Got same problem with my leon dq500 :(, loosing 0.3 0.4s /gear change.

Yep I think 60time can be down to 3.5's with decent gearbox tuning. In gear power is unreal - the pull in the top end is like no other car I've driven and most of my driving is done on the motorway.

Would love to see what it would do with some reduced weight.

DSG is normally perfect and has very little TQ reduction in between changes.
I had a RS3 (2014 model) in recently the changes were amazing on stock software.

Cheers

Awesome work, Bobby! Read through the thread the other day after it was linked on Audizine. Truly impressed by what you've been able to pull off here.

Have you considered trying to swap in a ZF 8-speed transmission? The dimensions (size-wise) and weight are very close to the ZF 6-speed, and there is tuning out there for them as well (hptuners).

Hi thanks - Will be plenty work to make a 8hp work. I wonder if hp tuners do 6hp tuning?

Definitely a lot of work. I have not seen the 6HP. The 8HP was picked up mostly because it's being used on American vehicles (Dodge, Ram) and the tuning market here picked up on it. Ya know, big muscle.

On my Rs3 the gear change is flawless. On the leon with dq500 is as bad as it can be. I have tried different maps, none seem to work ok. I dont know why. The best solution for you it would be the 8hp swap. Gearbox is cheap and should be plug and play. Component protection might be an issue, immo.

Removed the DPF pipe yesterday and fitted the 3" delete pipe.

Impressive fit.

zEvTpgL.jpg

O83YeTM.jpg

XhmbdMQ.jpg

Performs much better during low and mid-range rpm now.

Still need to perform some logging to see if the N75 requires a tweak as the dpf restriction has been removed.
There is zero smoke which is great.

After logging I will establish if there is any scope for more fuel.

Do you have any instructions on removing the firewall is is it straightforward? do you need to get under the car to undo bolts for the downpipe?

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan,

Firewall has 3 bolts on the top and push in clip on the rhs
Undo the wiring and cut the cable ties holding down the loom
Undo the bar behind the firewall
You can undo the heater hoses or spray wd40 under the rubber hoses so the slip as you are trying pull out the firewall
I found lifting them up from left side works best

There is one bolt for the lower flange which will require under the car action. I've had this stud break on me on a number of cars recently (just ages i guess), but you can press this out with a vice and weld in a stainless steel bolt.

Allow approx 3 hours

Cheers

How is the result with 3" dpf delete as this is something I wanted to do on mine for sometime now.

Also waiting for your write up regarding bitdi tune you were doing?

Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk