Bobby Singh A4 3.0 TDI build thread

June 2017
Macan Big brakes

Added TTRS wheel vents & Modified my fog grills

YL35W7n.jpg

Managed to source Macan turbo brake set up (front, rear, pads, discs and lines)

Fronts - 360 x 36
Rears - 355 x 28

lS5OpLv.jpg

To keep the OEM look they were professionally painted black by Adrian From Project Paint (Cardiff) AdrianSmith617@gmail.com - Totally recommended.

Soda Blasted and epoxy primed

LNvyOJl.jpg

5cvj0gP.jpg

R8iW7tx.jpg

iqBDyoR.jpg

Sourced Macan hub carriers for oem style install

sbYY4A8.jpg

Other side was bought from main dealer at cheaper than expected price which was good news

On to the install (what a nightmare)

First the top suspension arm pinch bolt was completely siezed - tried many methods to pull this bolt out but in the end one of the lugs broke as I tried to wind the thread out.
Out came the angle grinder :)
(I was changing the carrier's anyway)

abX6SYu.jpg

Then my next problem was trying to remove the lower (rear) suspension arm from the carrier. Again this was completely stuck in the steel bush - in fact the ball joint bent under the force that my spliter put on but it still wouldn't move.
So again I just cut this out to save time (it was ruined anyway).

yJ0N2oJ.jpg

First test fit:

5IspcyT.jpg

At this stage I tried my stock wheels but they would not clear the calipers (ET47)

Carried on with the install and discovered the Macan carriers have a M14 ball joint and my old ruined ones were M12 (both have 65mm bush)
In fact all Audi's made from November 2009 have M14 arms

TRW arms:

OSnR78M.jpg

The back plate was trimmed to provide heat protection for abs sensor, ball joints, track rod end only

Backs were a direct fit:

yeXkbF8.jpg

YfsA2Jj.jpg

Coming back to the wheels - I decided on a set of S line alloys from an Audi A5.
Benefits:

Same look as the A4 wheels
ET29 off set
8.5J rather than 8J
15mm clearance (from caliper)
No spacers required
OEM wheel bolts

iHVfmsd.jpg

ePPrQhF.jpg

Brake feel like OEM but work very well its a very impressive set up.
To aid cooling I've added Macan air baffle plates, I've ordered some braided line which will go on soon.

tOh0bGr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chop., ruairi83, GAS MONKEY and 3 others
Very impressive brakes,but how much extra weight has it added to the car :) . Near enough 360mm brakes front and rear and the discs are 1 part so bet you had a good workout putting those on. Great how you have kept the OE look 18 inch wheels.
Just out of interest I tried loosening the top pinch bolt on my car when I was changing the suspension over. I couldn't get it undone, didn't try overly hard but I suspect that I would actually struggle to remove it if I had too. Some things never change, the Passat I had previously was the same.

Reactions: martinivw
After ruining the hub carrier on one side due to the seized pinch bolt, I can personally recommend this piece of hardware:
http://www.bgstechnic.de/products/detail/7698
Works with an air chisel and managed to push out the other bolt absolutely effortlessly. I think the fast repeated striking of the air chisel helps loosen the aluminum oxide layer holding the bolts in place.
When you put new bolts back in, make sure to generously coat them with anti-seize to make life easier in the future.

Reactions: bobby singh
Karl the fronts were approx 13kg each
Rears 8kg
Front calipers are alu but I didn't weigh them tbh.

This bolt is a pita - i've added copper grease to it now. In fact i've added copper grease to all the joints.
I would cut the head off and use a flat washer and nut on the other side to wind it out (like i was), but add washers between the lug so it has support and doesn't break off.

Or get a tool like mentioned above.

Bi Turbo MAF

Bobby, the OE and the Bi-Tdi MAF plug and play? Or i need remap if i'll change it?

The housing is bigger that's ok. The custom tubing is not problem but i have issues with programming

Thank You

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Thanks - So i removed the motor and on a bench psu set the voltage to 12v and gave it 3amps - I could see current being drawn. I then opened it up (the clips will break but its not a issue still seals fine) and clean the connection with contact cleaner put it all back togather - job done.

They are not so expensive and I was will to try a repair.

May i ask what the original problem was? Mine sometimes makes a buzzing sound and fails to unlock.

June 2017 - Hybrid testing

So my turbo guy sent me a hybrid to test. Objective was to see what power is possible with 'decent' compressor wheel and turbine in the stock 2260vk...not the usual AMG turbine.

Removed the S200, fitted a gutted dpf unit, stock exhaust - PCV behind the headlight haha

u2cuwK9.jpg

Results:

426hp / 870nm

CPtHH22.jpg

Looking at the log I had a lot of torq correction based on egt's due to the hot weather so on a colder day I would expect better power

Nice daily unit with great response.

Last edited:
Reactions: joedredd, TimberVD and Horia
Are you sure the EGT's are due to the hot weather and not the fact that the EMP is through the roof with the smaller turbine. What size compressor wheel did you go for to get that result ?
Very impressive but what were the EGT's running at ?

Egt was 930deg on the dyno and 860deg on the road.
Emp:boost is 1.3 so acceptable.
I can't give away wheels sizes unfortunately (I'll drop you a pm)
But the wheel designs are different and very light.
Twin oil seals so no leaks etc

Reactions: Misikee, TimberVD, Horia and 1 other person
Ah I thought there was a hint of secret sauce involved! Those are some beautiful results though. I just had my turbo rebuilt by universal turbos so wouldn't be in the market for this unfortunately.

Probably would have been out of my budget anyway. I took my own turbo off and supplied the skillaturbo 6+6 comp wheel and AMG turbine, all in all universal turbos charged £525 for the machining, rebuilding and cleaning, basically a brand new turbo. They did a great job. £95+£125 respectively for the wheels from skilla. On top of that probably £40 or so for new gaskets/seals and a few parts from Audi.

Power output won't be close to this though! That's for sure.

Turbo is approx £1400 exhange so more than what you paid yes. But for a pnp solution that provides 400hp plus i think its pretty decent and looks stock.
Big VNT turbo's do have a use for top end and being totally bullet proof.
Depend what you looking for really - but I do like this unit for the low down torq which I've missed with the S200.

Done some logging on air flow - seems to pull 1350kg/h for a short period of time whereas the S200 pulls 1400kg/h from appox 3.8k to redline (1400 is max the sensor can read)

If the sensor can read max 1400kg/h do it MAFless if you need more... :)
Crazy idea why would I do that? There are tricks available for it not to be a bottle neck
At least this way I do mods and see if air flow is improving and use air mass for accurate control <1400kg/h

Hello Bobby, how much oil does our CCWA engine require during service? Cheers

July 2017

Braid lines have been installed and the braking is very powerful now.

Suspension wise I had one of the rear springs break on me recently so I put in H&R springs but the ride quality has been poor.

9nzSstt.jpg

Looked ok though:

tJ5pIu8.jpg

KcHUUEZ.jpg

I've now got the Eibach Pro kit in

Scwieot.jpg

kYPkK5r.jpg

Sh0pE6i.jpg

The ride quality is now perfect. The car does sit higher compared with the H&R's but thats ok.

From the ground to the arch I made the following measurements:

H&R's - Front & Rear - 655mm
Eibachs - Front - 666mm - Rear - 663mm

As you can see even though both kits are 30mm there is a difference in height.

On the engine side I've installed some high flow injectors - details of which I will not be releasing but they are working very well with 100deg egt cooler for same amount of fuel.
And I've installed version 2 2260 hybrid with a larger compressor wheel - Hopefully I can get on to the dyno soon.

Cheers
Bobby

Last edited:
Reactions: joedredd, Chop., IRONy_MAN and 3 others
Looking good :)

Do you have any details and pictures of the added TTRS wheel vents, the Macan air baffle plates and the work carried out the modify the fog light grills?

No pictures but you could just put a mesh there.
The fog grills take some effort - one side is easy as the back plate just comes off, but the other side had to be cut manually.

hi bobby
interesting read , although 99% of it went by my head,
regarding the gear change oil, my audi is tip tronic ( i think !, six speed with flappy paddles) it has 120k on the clock ,
Audi has said the gear oil is a sealed unit and does not need changed!...you have changed your oil ( i think its the same gear box, where does one find the gearbox number? ) you said the oil was not too bad, should i change if the gear change is ok and it drives great!
if i were to change it ...where did you get the oil /filter etc?
thanks
john

hi bobby
regarding the gear change oil, my audi is tip tronic ( i think !, six speed with flappy paddles) it has 120k on the clock ,
Audi has said the gear oil is a sealed unit and does not need changed!...you have changed your oil ( i think its the same gear box, where does one find the gearbox number? ) you said the oil was not too bad, should i change if the gear change is ok and it drives great!
thanks
john

Anyone had a biturbo injector tested ? See what the flow is ?

Anyone got a part number

hi bobby
thanks
john

Sure I would change oil and filter - ZF recommend every 80k. But yes the oil was clean when I drained it

motors sitting nice bobby good job

Anyone had a biturbo injector tested ? See what the flow is ?

Anyone got a part number

New v6 injectors don't fit the older V6's - clamping is different

Those are some nice exhaust tips there Bobby. Where did you get them from? Look just about the right size too.

Hi Bobby.
Some amazing stuff you're doing with her. Well done.
I'd like to see when you reach the end and what numbers you'll get.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

Reactions: bobby singh
Hello bobby, do you always run the pcv to atomsphere or on for the hybrid testing? cheers

Did you ever get to Dyno the version 2 of the 2260 hybrid?